Car carry for non chl holder with 20 year old?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
CC Italian
Posts in topic: 3

Car carry for non chl holder with 20 year old?

Post by CC Italian »

Scenario: My fiancee is going with her little brother who is only 20 in his car (he will be driving) to south Texas to see family. She doesn't have her CHL but wants to carry her revolver with her on the trip in the glove box.

Question: If they get pulled over can my further little bro get in trouble since it is his car and is in control of the vehicle while the gun is in the glove box in front of his sister?

If you LEOs could give me some advice on this and how my FBIL should handle it if he gets pulled over by DPS!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Car carry for non chl holder with 20 year old?

Post by C-dub »

One of the legal eagles will be around shortly. IMHO, I don't think it should be a problem. I think an 18y+ individual is legally able to own or possess a gun, just not purchase one. Or maybe it's the ammo. There's something strange about that whole situation, but I think they are legal.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I know in Texas a 18 year old can buy a handgun from a personal purchase (non FFL) at least that is what I was told by an FFL but can't purchase ammo for the gun but can still have ammo gifted to him. If that is correct and makes any sense! This is what I was told.

AEA

Post by AEA »

C-dub wrote:One of the legal eagles will be around shortly. IMHO, I don't think it should be a problem. I think an 18y+ individual is legally able to own or possess a gun, just not purchase one. Or maybe it's the ammo. There's something strange about that whole situation, but I think they are legal.
:iagree: I believe you are correct.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

It is not legal for your sister to carry a weapon without a CHL if it is not her car or a car in her control.

But, it is legal for the brother to carry in his car. She can loan him the revolver for the trip.

And if it is the glove box, but no CHL, there is no obligation to tell anyone about it. Obviously, i would not tell him to lie if a police officer asks if he has any guns, but he doesn't have to offer either.

Seriously, the odds of being stopped are small, depending on his driving of course. The odds of the officer asking about guns are even smaller. Some officers will ask on every stop, but most only ask if something else has their suspicions up and they are looking to search the car. I would not worry too much about it if I were them.
Steve Rothstein

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Penal Code Ch 46.02 contains the relevant statute -

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also check here for more info:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly. My fiancee can't have the firearm in the glove box because she is not in control of the vehicle because she is the passenger? Is this correct?
If she was driving (even though her brother owns the vehicle) then she could have it in the glove box in front of her 20 year old brother because she is in control of the vehicle?
Also, Gigag04 is srothstein correct that my fiancees brother could drive and if pulled over by a LEO and asked if there are any weapons he could say "I have a revolver in the glove box" without getting into trouble being that he is only 20? Don't mean to call you out srothstein, I just want to make sure.

The only thing I got from the 46.02 is that the vehicle must be under your control. Is this what you were referring too?

Edit: I wish she would just get her CHL!!

nyj

Post by nyj »

Nothing illegal about a 20 y/o non-felon having a gun hidden in his car. If by chance they are pulled over, they are under no obligation to tell the officer.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

Not a problem with verifying anything I tell you. Checking on what you are told on the internet is always a good thing.

You have it correct, as I am sure Gigag04 will verify shortly. The trick to reading laws is to not read into them. The only things forbidden (in our legal system) are those that are explicitly specified in the law as forbidden.

So, when the law says a person but does not mention age, then the age of the person is irrelevant (whether 18, 20,21, or 65). In this case, the law says it is a crime to have a gun on or about your person if you are not in a car you own or under your control. The driver has the car under their control (generally, I am not sure of the way my daughter drives :lol:). The weird part of this law is that the driver and the owner do not have to be the same person, so your sister driving your brother's car means both could have guns legally.
Steve Rothstein

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I believe the older sister would have protections under Sec. 46.15 (b) (2) When the Motor Vehicle Protection Act kicked in the old Traveling exemption still applied.

I know, confusing as all get out.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

Liberty wrote:I believe the older sister would have protections under Sec. 46.15 (b) (2) When the Motor Vehicle Protection Act kicked in the old Traveling exemption still applied.

I know, confusing as all get out.
I agree with the traveling exception.

Zoo

Post by Zoo »

It's interesting to read some of the case law on traveling.
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”