Help Fine Tuning/Improving Flawed Handgun Techiques/Skills

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Medic218
Posts in topic: 7

Help Fine Tuning/Improving Flawed Handgun Techiques/Skills

Post by Medic218 »

After renewing my CHL today it became evident that I need two things....A) more range time and B) some formal instruction on how to properly and most effectively operate my pistol.
I'm a quite confident rifle shooter and I would like to obtain that same confidence and skill level on handguns.

Can anyone recommend instructors that teach the finer points of using and handgun and teaching proper technique?

I have found a guy named Tom Russell(trained under Col. Jeff Cooper) that runs classes up here in Dallas, and he deffinately has the credentials I'm looking for. However, with his experience and credentials his course prices are a little on the steep side. I'm sure he is probably worth it but it's just a little much for me right now.
Thanks in advance guys!
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Help Fine Tuning/Improving Flawed Handgun Techiques/Skil

Post by AEA »

Unfortunately, training in specific handgun techniques seems to be higher than I am willing to pay.

Having said that, I don't plan on entering any competition or going to war (already been there). My main concern is to get a few good hits at 15-20 yards as quick as I can and didi outta there!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

AEA wrote:Unfortunately, training in specific handgun techniques seems to be higher than I am willing to pay.
Same here. I just need someone who is up to snuff to tell me what I'm doing wrong and why can't consistently hit the same part of the target.
I'm missing something when I shot and I need someone with proper training to point it out to me so I can address it an become more proficient.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Well then, there is a lot to consider.....

What pistol?
New?
How Many rounds have been thru it?
Has anyone other than you shot it to determine it is not the pistol?

Main thing is proper grip, proper squeeze of the trigger (not pull) with proper breathing control (which you may not have in a real gunfight).

But hey, 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

I don't think you need to pay for a professional. Just find someone familiar with your pistol/ammo who are a good shot with theirs and let them give you some pointers.

I'm not claiming I am a perfect shot, but I do pretty well for 64 years old and bad eyes. I shoot 1911's and after shooting my new Ed Brown Special Forces I think I am actually better than I once was!

If you are in the Sherman area, I would be happy to try and help if you like.
No charge.

I am sure there are others here on the Forum that would be willing to help you with the basics as well, maybe closer to you if you specify what area in DFW.
Last edited by AEA on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1911's RULE!

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tomtexan »

MedicMan218 wrote:After renewing my CHL today it became evident that I need two things....A) more range time and B) some formal instruction on how to properly and most effectively operate my pistol.
I'm a quite confident rifle shooter and I would like to obtain that same confidence and skill level on handguns.
Just keep going to the range. You will find it eventually. Put the $$$ towards ammo and range fees instead of instruction time.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

AEA wrote:Well then, there is a lot to consider.....

What pistol?
New?
How Many rounds have been thru it?
Has anyone other than you shot it to determine it is not the pistol?

Main thing is proper grip, proper squeeze of the trigger (not pull) with proper breathing control (which you may not have in a real gunfight).

But hey, 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

I don't think you need to pay for a professional. Just find someone familiar with your pistol/ammo who are a good shot with theirs and let them give you some pointers.

I'm not claiming I am a perfect shot, but I do pretty well for 64 years old and bad eyes. I shoot 1911's and after shooting my new Ed Brown Special Forces I think I am actually better than I once was!

If you are in the Sherman area, I would be happy to try and help if you like.
No charge.

I am sure there are others here on the Forum that would be willing to help you with the basics as well, maybe closer to you if you specify what area in DFW.
Springfield XD Subcompact .40 w/XS Big Dot night sights
Not new.
I don't shoot it as much as I should but probably close to 1000 rounds so far.

As far as you shooting your Ed Brown better I can relate. I seem to do better with full size, all metal guns.
I know it's possible, because I've seen it done, but I just can't seem to control the muzzle rise very well on that little XD.

I know I've let others shoot it but it's been too long to recall any specifics.
Thanks for the offer but I'm in Little Elm. However, if I get a wild hair to take a short trip sometime I'll hit you up.
I'm always up or meetin new people with similar interest.
Do you have your own land to shoot on?
tomtexan wrote:
MedicMan218 wrote:After renewing my CHL today it became evident that I need two things....A) more range time and B) some formal instruction on how to properly and most effectively operate my pistol.
Just keep going to the range. You will find it eventually. Put the $$$ towards ammo and range fees instead of instruction time.
Yeah, I think instea I staying home and being a lump on my days off I'll start hitting up the range.
I think the biggest reason I don't go more regularly already is there just isn't a range all that close to me right now.
However, if Tripple M or the new range In Frisco(by Pizza Hut Park) ever get off the ground that will make goin to the range a lot more doable as I won't have to plan my day around going to Dallas, Plano or Ft. Worth.

AEA

Post by AEA »

MedicMan218 wrote: Springfield XD Subcompact .40 w/XS Big Dot night sights
Not new.
I don't shoot it as much as I should but probably close to 1000 rounds so far.
I know
As far as you shooting your Ed Brown better I can relate. I seem to do better with full size, all metal guns.
I know it's possible, because I've seen it done, but I just can't seem to control the muzzle rise very well on that little XD.

Do you have your own land to shoot on?
Nope, I use the Red River Firearms indoor range in Sherman.

Sorry, I would not be able to help you with the XD Compact. Probably couldn't even do as well as you.
I have 2 Compacts (a EMP 9mm and a Springer Ultra Compact all steel .45). I actually do better with the EMP even with it being snappier than the UC .45.
Strange.....

But compacts are a whole 'nuther animal. I bet you would be hard pressed to find many peeps who can actually control them well. You may not be as bad as you might think. :cheers2:

And I would almost bet that the high priced professionals would recommend to you that the minimum pistol to train with would be a 4 or 4.25 inch (Commander) model.

I carry the compacts. I feel I can hit pretty well with at least the first shot. But when I do range or renewal it will be with a full size 1911.

Good luck! :tiphat:
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

Well, if I had taken my all metal, full-size CZ I know I woul have done better but seeing and how I was renewing my CHL it didn't make much sense to me to take a pistol for quals that normally just sit in the safe 10 moths out of the year.
It made more sense to qual on what I carry.

AEA

Post by AEA »

That's true and I agree.

I carry the compacts cause they are more comfortable. I can hit OK with them but the muzzle control in rapid shots will always be a problem.......at least for me. I do practice with them but I know I do better with full size.

But I do trust them to get me outta trouble if I do happen to get into it.
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

That's kind of where I'm at.
I might not hit X ring but I have no problem hitting the man sized target.
Still, I'd like I tighten it all up.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

MedicMan218, Invest in 1,000 rounds of range ammo that duplicates your carry ammo. Go to the range about once a week and shoot. Use a small target, cheap paper plates or typing paper, without lines, dots circles etc. work on getting groups on these plain targets. When you can shoot hand sized groups on the plate or typing paper go to a smaller target. After you use the 1,000 rounds at a rate of about 100 rounds a week your shooting should show a marked improvement. My benchmark is a playing card sized 5 shot group at 7 yards. If you can do that consistently, at a reasonable rate of fire, (5 shots/5 seconds) you are pretty much up to speed.

There are other drills that will help take you to a higher level of competence none of them require fancy targets only a range that allows rapid fire and a timer or stopwatch.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

stroo

Post by stroo »

Dry fire everyday.

This summer I have not been dry firing very often, maybe once a week, and have only gone to the range maybe twice a month. The last two times including Friday I shot pretty bad for me. Still on the target but all over the place. I am convinced my lack of dry fire is responsible.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

I believe that training and practice are very important, but one must "train well". Prior to investing the time and money for advanced tactical training, I believe that "back to basics" training is a better investment.

There are many forum members [myself included] who have been shooting a long time, but have picked up some bad habits along the way. Training under a qualified personal coach is a relatively quick and inexpensive way to improve your shooting skills. Shooting 100 rounds under the watchful eye of a good instructor will be far more beneficial than 1000 rounds on your own.

After ridding yourself of flawed techniques and skills, you can fine tune and improve your practical shooting skills with more advanced training. YMMV
NRA Endowment Member

stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

One thing I learned is shooting is a perishable skill. When I lived in California I was shooting at least once a week, sometimes more. Due to money, I stoped shooting for a few years. When I started shooting again it looked like I had never picked up a gun before. My brother in laws dad showed me some things I had forgotten once, now I can hold my own against most people in a range again. There is almost no diffrence in my targets between my 4in 40 and my 3 inch 9, both XD's. The best thing you can do is find someone who can shoot well to see what you are doing wrong, then continually pratice. If you take a class, a group beginners class would probably be the cheapest and fix most issues, a privet lesson would cost more and may or may not be more effective

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

I don't know if this will help or not. How long have you been shooting with XS sights? I shoot a Sig P 225 that had XS sights on it an I couldn't hit very well. I changed to a plain set of sights an am doing much better. While I am not a world class shooter I can hold my own. Hope that will help, but range time is a must. If you are in the north east Texas area my best friend is an instructor an is reasonable with his rates. Happy shooting.
Truth against the world

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”