Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
45Carrier
Posts in topic: 2

EDC knife... need suggestions

Post by 45Carrier »

I'm looking for a EDC/pocket knife. 3-4" +/- blade will work fine

I'd like all stainless or at least a stainless blade, that can be opened and closed with one hand folder that is NOT a liner lock. I know, liner lock knives are cool and with practice uber tactical et al, but, I have fat fingers and a liner lock always leads to a sliced thumb.

Also, I see a lot of "assisted opening" knives available. I understand the concept, but I'm a little confused on how these are legal to carry given the TX Penal Code definition of an illegal knife.

I've looked at knives until I'm blue in the face and (sales hype) pics on the web are a little less helpful than I hoped.

Can any of you recommend a knife you are happy with that meets the open/close one handed criteria ?

Can someone help me understand the fine line between a legal to carry (in Texas) assisted opening knife vs an illegal knife according to the law ?

ETA: Price is a consideration, but overall quality, durability and function are more important.

Target1911
Posts in topic: 1

Re: EDC knife... need suggestions

Post by Target1911 »

I carry a benchmade barrage and I love it. Assisted opening and awesome customer service. It's a quality knife. They also have the very popular griptilian that is not assisted. Spyderco makes a great product too.
Go to gun show and look at all of the knives. Hold them, play with them then pick what works for you.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

AdioSS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AdioSS »

What's your price range?

jacobsd8195

Post by jacobsd8195 »

I have a CRKT "Mini My Tighe" and have been very impressed with the quality. I ordered mine from Amazon.com for about $45.
http://www.crkt.com/MiniMyTighe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hooknbullet

Post by hooknbullet »

Spyderco Native C41. CPM-S30V steel, No liner lock, the clip is reversible, Made in Golden, Colorado, USA - Earth.
Always Remember:
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
(I don't know who deserves credit for this quote, but I like it.)

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

I have owned and carried more knives than I can count since I got my first one at 6 years old.

The one I have settled on for EDC for the last 5 years is the CRKT M16-13Z that cost a grand $36.

The 3.5" blade is stainless and partially serrated. It opens easily with one hand via a thumb stud without the need for a $200 assisted opening system. (A bit of dry lube on the pivot point makes it really slick). The AutoLAWKS feature turns it into almost a fixed blade when open and is very secure against accidental closure. It is light, carries easily, and has done anything I've asked it to do. It's also easy to sharpen (I just touch up its razor edge with crock sticks every couple of months).

It's also easy to disassemble for thorough removal of dust bunnies and application of anti rust coatings because even stainless steel will rust if you let sweat get under the handle scales and leave it there.

It's fully guaranteed. When the clip screws loosened up without my noticing, I lost the pocket clip. I went on the CRKT web site and used their warranty service page to easily order replacements which were sent for free. I also wore out my first knife's pivot and lock to the point where it wouldn't stay all the way closed. I sent the whole knife back and instead of repairing it they just sent me a whole new one.

I've still got a drawerful of other knives, some of which I use for special purposes (e.g. a heavy duty folder for hunting or treks into remote areas) but the M16-13Z is the one that's in my pocket day in and day out.

I should also mention that I constantly look at new knives coming out on the market, and examine and play with them at gun and knife shows. I've yet to see any that have tempted me to change.

Just my $.02. YMMV
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

I am nuts but I have carried at least 2 knives for years. My uncle who survived the second death march in WW2 aways told me to have a backup plan for the backup plan etc. My right pocket carries a Spyderco Endura with the Emerson hook and a regular Endura in the left one. I have carried lots of different knives and so far like these the best. Hope this helps.
Truth against the world

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

45Carrier wrote:I'd like all stainless or at least a stainless blade, that can be opened and closed with one hand folder that is NOT a liner lock. I know, liner lock knives are cool and with practice uber tactical et al, but, I have fat fingers and a liner lock always leads to a sliced thumb.
Be careful. Some people are ignoring your requirement that the knife doesn't have a liner lock.

I'll suggest a Spyderco Endura. It's a time proven design and a real workhorse.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

My everyday knife: http://www.crkt.com/IgnitorT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuckybrown

gras

Post by gras »

tbrown wrote:Some people are ignoring your requirement that the knife doesn't have a liner lock.
True. Some people don't care enough to read the question before posting. It's a common problem in many forums.

Keeping the OP's requirements in mind, I'll second the Spyderco Endura suggestion and add the Benchmade Griptilian. OP wasn't sold on assisted opening, but if it's desired, the Benchmade Barrage is a good choice. Both of the Benchmade knives have their AXIS lock which is ambidextrous and doesn't require the user to put fingers in the path of the blade to unlock it. I have carried all three over the years but there's a Griptilian in my pocket right now.
Last edited by gras on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rentz

Post by rentz »

Spyderco Endura wave or delica wave for a little smaller blade

The wave is great opens as you pull it out of the pocket

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

45Carrier wrote:I'm looking for a EDC/pocket knife. 3-4" +/- blade will work fine

I'd like all stainless or at least a stainless blade, that can be opened and closed with one hand folder that is NOT a liner lock.
My EDC for about six years now has been the Kershaw Spec Bump, a Ken Onion design: http://kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=32. It can be found for about half MSRP, BTW.

You'll notice the post at the top of the blade/hilt juncture. That is the ambidextrous, spring-loaded locking system. To unlock and close the blade, you have to apply forward pressure on the locking post to move it past the stainless steel liner under G-10 handle. It's easy to close with one hand.

Opening is spring-assisted. The gimping at the bottom of the blade (notched portion of the blade you see extending below the handle when open) serves as a finger guard, and when the knife is closed it protrudes from the top of the handle. Opening is instant by pushing that notched piece of the blade.

What you don't see in the photo is that, on the side of the knife with the pocket clip, there is a small hex screw. If you slide it toward the hilt of the knife, the blade will open freely. If you slide it toward the blade, the knife won't open at all. Adjustable for immediate purpose. The tension on that hex screw is also adjustable, governing how easy it is to slide. I have mine screwed down pretty tight, and set in the "opens freely" position. I've never had it open unexpectedly in my pocket.

It has a 3 5/8" tough S30V blade with a tungsten coating, and a precise centerline along the point. Open, the knife balances at about .75" blade-light. One of the things I like about its unusual shape is that it can be used in a reverse-edge grip securely and feels almost like it was made for it. The pocket clip is overly wide, making it more obvious than I would like. Also, the pocket clip is not moveable: you can't shift it vertically or move it to the other side (you can remove it, but not move it). But those are the only two flaws I've ever found with the knife. Some have reported lock-up issues with the knife, but I can't confirm that. Mine has been rock-solid from day one.

It isn't a tiny knife, though. The blade is .1" thick; overall the knife is about .6" thick; closed length is 4 15/16"; and it weighs about 5.5 ounces. But then, if I ever have to fight with it, I really don't want a knife with a thin, weak blade and flimsy construction.

Might be worth a look.

The YouTube vid below is by a guy with the username edgedweapon88. It shows the one-handed operation pretty well, and also shows the knife's initial version, the Speed Bump.

[youtube][/youtube]
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I switch between a spyderco tasman serrated and a Benchmade Mel Pardue griptilion half serrated. I Coming from an ex tin can sailor, and who demand a lot of their knives, you can't go wrong with either one.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”