Thank you.. whomever you are..

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
68Charger
Posts in topic: 3

Thank you.. whomever you are..

Post by 68Charger »

I am a type 1 diabetic. My routine is to take my insulin shots in the morning. One shot is for an all day stabilization shot, and the other is for a quick drop in blood sugar shot (taken before meals).

Today was the first day of my Father's chemo treatment. I had woken up extremely early and took my shot (stabilization shot) and continued on to take him to his Dr's office. I arrived and noticed I felt really, really tired all of a sudden. I told my father that I would catch up with him and to go on without me. I sat down on the first floor of the building, and thought I could make it up to the third level using the elevator. I then attempted to get up, and just was extremely tired, and fell down busting my knee extremely bad on the hard tile. I tried to walk to the elevator, and at this point I blacked out. I had started to come to when I see about 3 nurses tending to me and my knee. I had become hypoglycemic. I couldn't walk.. and my father was there in the waiting room on the third floor at his chemo room. After the nurses started to shove all sorts of sugar and doughnuts in my mouth, I started to find out what had happened. My father told me a man had given him my pistol and the same man picked me up from the floor of the elevator, and brought me (somehow) to my father's waiting room. The man had told my father to hang on to my pistol and said I was exposing my IWB holster. The man then told my father that he was too a CHL holder, and didn't want me to flash the world. I asked whom he was to thank him for everything he had done. He said he just came and went.

My blood sugar has never acted like this, and of course I am embarrassed for what had happened. I came home later on and made an appointment to see what's going on with my knee for it is ... extremely busted up and it's EXTREMELY painful to walk on. Also to figure out what I need to do to make this never happen again.

All in all, thank you whomever you are.. :tiphat:
We don't need no stinking badges!

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thank you.. whomever you are..

Post by Dave2 »

:shock: That's pretty scary! I'm not entirely sure how insulin dosages work, but does this mean you're getting better?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Glad you had little "angels" looking out for you! Don't know how long you have been diabetic, but an insulin pump might be a thought. They can really help with those peaks and valleys. Likely the early morning and added stress of taking Dad for chemo caused a big dip. Hope your knee feels better soon and is not too big a deal - be safe, be careful!

Prayers for you and your father.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

What a godsend! Who knew angels have CHLs too?
A hospital is definitely not the place to be accidentally flashing the gun around, people's perception is that (posted or not) you are not allowed to have one there. Glad to see that even outside the forums us CHLers all have each others back.

J.J.

Post by J.J. »

As bad as that turned out it could have been a lot worse in many different ways!
Thank God you survived it and that there are a few good folks out there!
Be easy on that knee for a bit and give it time to heal. I pray the Dr. gets the sugar problem figured out quickly!

Thanks for sharing!
It is always nice to hear the "good samaritan" stories! Unfortunately there aren't enough of them.
~ "JJ"

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

I'm glad you had several angels looking out for you. Praise God for that. :cool:

My wife is a Type I so I know full well how it can go. I don't live with it but I live it in a sense every day. I've noticed that stress can have an effect on my wife's blood sugar so it could be that, maybe not having enough to eat, or maybe your pancreas decided to squeeze out a drop of insulin and mess with you. My wife swears that her's likes to do that just for fun. Did you eat something different from what you normally do recently? Being that this was your father's first day of chemo treatment, my guess is stress is a big factor.

My father also went through chemo and radiation when I was young (younger than you actually) and it is a difficult time to be sure. It's good you that are there for him. Be sure you're also taking care of yourself during this trying time.

On the topic of pumps, my wife has her own opinion of them and it's not kosher to post here. :lol:
Psalm 91:2

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

68Charger wrote:I am a type 1 diabetic. My routine is to take my insulin shots in the morning. One shot is for an all day stabilization shot, and the other is for a quick drop in blood sugar shot (taken before meals). ...Today was the first day of my Father's chemo treatment....My blood sugar has never acted like this, and of course I am embarrassed for what had happened. I came home later on and made an appointment to see what's going on ...Also to figure out what I need to do to make this never happen again.
Gotta love diabetes - the moving target that never stands still. Gotta figure the extra stress of going to the oncology center for the first time probably used up a lot extra sugar that you hadn't counted on. Stress will do that. Unfortunately, there's no sliding scale of stress that will let us adjust the Lantus (which was probably the culprit) to adjust for things like that.

One of the adjustments I've had to deal do (I also do the Lantus / Novolog duo for my Type II) is to allow myself to float a little bit higher than I'd normally do on those days before I have to take my wife for her chemo treatments (yeah, just the next thing that life had in store for us). The caretaker's role keeps me pretty busy, and if I don't snack during the days of her long treatments, I definitely can tell that I need to add some carbs real soon.

Funny thing is, just got finished visiting with my GP who was praising me for my 6.6 A1bc - lowest it's been in several years... till I mentioned everything else going on. It's funny how life balances out the highs and the lows (pun intentional! "rlol" ). If ya don't laugh, you'll definitely cry!

Someone mentioned that a hospital isn't a good place to go low, especially if you're carrying. Most of the cancer treatment today is performed in freestanding oncology centers that, from visiting the centers we've been doing in the last few months, usually don't have 30.06 postings on their doors.

But, yep - it's nice that there was someone there that recognized what was going on and was able to react to it without becoming alarmed.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

chamuiel

Post by chamuiel »

george wrote:What a nice guy. (I probably would have taken the pistol and run off with it!) (unless it was just a Glock :reddevil ).

I hope you are able to get your health condition straightened out soon. Possibly it was just an anomoly.

Unless it was just a Glock.That is funny! :smilelol5:

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Ah Lantus...a nice drug but it can be difficult to adjust to be sure.
Psalm 91:2

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Wow, glad everything turned out okay.

Been dealing with diabetes since 2006 and it’s a pain to say the least. Not insulin dependent at this point and never had a high or low so bad I could not function, but I got close enough that I don’t want to get any closer. I had my wife take the CHL class mainly so if something happended to me she could put my pistol in her purse legally. Of course we are not always together, so I would hope someone like your rescuer would be around.

My diabetes was caused by chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Never had a problem until my 7th cycle of FND+R when I went in for "off week" blood work. The nurse had some cookies out so I ate one 5 minutes before I gave a blood sample. Ten minutes later she comes in and asks me, “are you diabetic?” “Nope.” “Well, you are now, you might want to go see a doctor about that.” :grumble

In 2010 I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma and had to have my right kidney removed, so now my GP is all up in my blood glucose levels (A1c, 72 hour monitors, logs, etc.) He is watching me like my pug watches food.

Diagnosed with cancer at age 40 then again at 45. I'm a little scared to turn 50... :leaving
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

george wrote:What a nice guy. (I probably would have taken the pistol and run off with it!) (unless it was just a Glock :reddevil ).

I hope you are able to get your health condition straightened out soon. Possibly it was just an anomoly.
What a deprave and disgusting thing to even consider; taking a guy's gun (unless it was a just a Glock) while he is defenseless.....heck we got the makins to become good friends!! :cheers2: :rolll

Hoping the best for the OP.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

alphonso

Post by alphonso »

68Charger,

You are welcome. It was my good deed for the day.

Just kidding of course.

Glad there was a kind fellow to help you out when you needed it...

Topic author
68Charger
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 68Charger »

Thanks for all the nice posts. I appreciate all of 'em. I'm heading to the Dr. tomorrow to get examined. It seems it got a lot worse.. and is EXTREMELY swelled.

I just pray it's not broke.. How am I supposed to go to the range with that?! :mrgreen:
We don't need no stinking badges!

nyj

Post by nyj »

So were you in a hospital or a non 30.06 clinic? Just curious, no criticism. I carried in a post office today...with all of the crap going on lately, it's my personal vow to carry everywhere I am.

Return to “Never Again!!”