Help Fine Tuning/Improving Flawed Handgun Techiques/Skills

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Medic218
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Help Fine Tuning/Improving Flawed Handgun Techiques/Skil

Post by Medic218 »

txhighlander wrote:I don't know if this will help or not. How long have you been shooting with XS sights? I shoot a Sig P 225 that had XS sights on it an I couldn't hit very well. I changed to a plain set of sights an am doing much better. While I am not a world class shooter I can hold my own. Hope that will help, but range time is a must. If you are in the north east Texas area my best friend is an instructor an is reasonable with his rates. Happy shooting.
I've had the XS sights for about a year or so now but haven't spent much time on them at the range.
I'm in north Dallas, where is your buddy?
stealthfightrf17 wrote:One thing I learned is shooting is a perishable skill.
No kidding. lol
WildBill wrote:I believe that training and practice are very important, but one must "train well". Prior to investing the time and money for advanced tactical training, I believe that "back to basics" training is a better investment.
I have no problem with that. If it takes me going back to kindergarten on this I'm ok with that. I'm sure I'll pick something new up along the way too.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

MedicMan218 wrote:
WildBill wrote:I believe that training and practice are very important, but one must "train well". Prior to investing the time and money for advanced tactical training, I believe that "back to basics" training is a better investment.
I have no problem with that. If it takes me going back to kindergarten on this I'm ok with that. I'm sure I'll pick something new up along the way too.
I think it's much harder to unlearn the old before picking up the new. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wgoforth »

MedicMan218 wrote:That's kind of where I'm at.
I might not hit X ring but I have no problem hitting the man sized target.
Still, I'd like I tighten it all up.
One of the most common mistakes I see is folks trying to see target, front sight and rear sight all at the same time. Line up front and rear horizontally and vertically on your target. Let target and rear sight fade out. Concentrate on front sight only (Unless you move, you are still on target. You can still see target in your peripheral). Then, front sight, press!
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

Start with the Fundamentals here: The Basics of Marksmanship

I also like Col. Applegate (go to the chapter on Combat use of the Handgun): Kill or Get Killed

The key to mastering sighted fire is proper practice with dryfire drills. Online drills can be found here: Dry Fire Drills
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Medic218
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Medic218 »

Paladin wrote:Start with the Fundamentals here: The Basics of Marksmanship

I also like Col. Applegate (go to the chapter on Combat use of the Handgun): Kill or Get Killed

The key to mastering sighted fire is proper practice with dryfire drills. Online drills can be found here: Dry Fire Drills
Thanks bud, I'll give those a look real quick.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

mdoan300

Post by mdoan300 »

Tiger Valley hosts Tue evening classes at Elm Fork for $65. You walk away with a tremendous amount of info (and feedback). Range time is important, but you can get a tremendous amount of benefit from dry fire drills 10-15min/day.

You missed the pistol trigger control class last month (it'll come by again in a few months). The next TV class is on pistol skills and it is next Tue-Aug-21. Hope to see you there.
HK / FN / BCM

markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

If I might suggest: the NRA basic pistol course. It is VERY basic. If you were a complete newb, this is what you take. I took it a year or so ago just to confirm that I had the very basics, which I do. However, the instructors did point out things that I could work on to get better. I think it was under $100 and it was a full day, with perhaps 100 rounds at the range.

Like I said, it's basic, but it'll give you a taste of what training actually is like and provide a prerequisite to anything else you want to do later on.
Cheers!

Mark

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Look for some of the free info on places like Youtube. There are some good videos by NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation), Todd Jarret and others. There are so many firearms "experts" these days that you have to take some of the info with a grain of salt - use what works for you and forget about what doesn't. Getting a proper grip will go a long way toward accuracy, look for the Todd Jarret videos for good info on that. You also need to have a firearm capable of good accuracy, most today should have no problem but it never hurts to make sure your firearm works properly first (try letting someone else you know that shoots well shoot it). I myself have had "issues" with accuracy I blamed on the gun only to find it was me. I have taken co-workers to the range that had shots all over a man sized target (looked more like a shotgun with #8 birdshot). Within a couple of mags I was able to point out problems and they were able to keep their shots within center of mass within a couple of mags. It takes regular practice to get all shots within a 2 inch area but consistent center of mass shots should be attainable within a few range sessions.
I personally would not worry about spending a lot of money practicing with you carry ammo, one box is plenty for me. I'm not going to spend a $1 a round to practice with my carry loads. I can get accuracy almost as good with reloads or with ball target ammo from Wal-Mart. My carry ammo will feel a bit different but I can get the idea with 20 rounds of how it functions, there is not enough difference to really matter for me- YMMV.
You can also go to the NRA website and look for NRA handgun instructors. The classes will probably be less than the big name tactical gun gurus (I am not knocking them, they have their purpose and people can gain a lot from their instruction).

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

I agree that there is no substitute for practice, practice, practice but the need for realistic training is a must. Even as an instructor I value personal training for myself so as not get into a rut or close my mind to other ideas.

That being said does anyone have any suggestions for training in the Houston area?
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

thatguy wrote:I agree that there is no substitute for practice, practice, practice but the need for realistic training is a must. Even as an instructor I value personal training for myself so as not get into a rut or close my mind to other ideas.

That being said does anyone have any suggestions for training in the Houston area?
A few locations:

GLC Shooting Academy Location: Houston http://www.glcshootingacademy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Impactzone Location: Hempstead http://www.theimpactzonerange.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MAST Solutions Location: Katy http://www.mastsolutions.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoffners Training Academy Location: Houston area http://www.hoffners.com/info.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

One technique I use is to dryfire against badguys on TV. Badguy targets on TV appear for only brief moments. You are forced to identify friend/neutral/threat... acquire your target, and break a clean shot in realistic time intervals... you can even practice averting your muzzle from non-threats.

Specifically I will play a DVD with lots of badguys to do this... think Scarface or The Matrix.

I credit TV dryfire training with building the skill I used last weekend to shoot expert in the Army Combat Pistol Qualification course. The Army Combat Pistol course has computer controlled 3D targets at various locations and distances that pop-up for 2-to-5 seconds. Just like shooting badguys on TV...

ske1eter

Post by ske1eter »

MedicMan218 wrote:That's kind of where I'm at.
I might not hit X ring but I have no problem hitting the man sized target.
Still, I'd like I tighten it all up.
Come play with us at the Dallas Pistol Club on some of our personal defense matches http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/personalprotection.php http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/realworldgun.php. One if the guys that shows up is Wayne Dobbs which has a substantial background in guns and training. Along with inoculating, or at least acclimating, yourself to some stress you can ask him some questions regarding his classes/training and if there are others he recommends. Here's a link to his page on the new training group: http://hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/ou ... ors/wayne/. We trained with him a few years back at Tiger Valley in Las Colinas but I'm not sure he does that anymore.

Texanaggie

Post by Texanaggie »

I dont think anyone mentioned this but this has helped myself and other friends taking videos either one on a tripod or get your buddy to video it with a phone and go back and look at what ur doing right and wrong sometimes u can also post the video on some forums and some will come back and help u out of course be aware there are what i call "sea lawyers " they know everything about everything but sometimes u can get some good advice.

The biggest thing find your method of shooting and practice practice practice and oh practice some more .,..........

AggieMike

Post by AggieMike »

I agree with what everyone else is saying....shoot more. I have been shooting a Glock 27 40 and shoot that as well as my full size now. You can print a shooters wheel online that will help show you what you are doing wrong when you shoot high, left, low, right, etc. But practice is key! Good luck and happy shooting! After some practiced I shot 250 rounds and not one left the 9 ring at 7 yards.
I don't carry my 40 all the time, just when I leave my home!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”