First contact

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Majek
Posts in topic: 4

First contact

Post by Majek »

Well, this past weekend was my first time to make contact with a LEO since having my license. So, my sister is having her first baby; so needless to say, I'm driving quick, fast, and in a hurry (9 mph over). Going through Refugio, guess what I see in my rear-view...it's the fuzz in a pretty awesome Camaro. With both licenses (and insurance) in hand, both hands on the steering wheel, we chat about me speeding and why. Obviously I have a 'decent reason', but it didn't seem like he was buying it. As I handed him my I.D.'s I said "it's in the door". He saw my CHL and made a very concerned look, and asked me to step out of the truck. He began to pat me down as I was leaning on the hood of his car, asked me where the gun(s) were specifically inside my truck, yet allowed my girlfriend to remain seated in the front seat...very strange. Then the guy asked if my reason for speeding was true or not. I said yes, because it was, and so he has me stand on the shoulder (wouldn't let me stand in the grass) of 77 as he sits in his car for about 20 minutes. Then.....he still gave me a ticket! Guess those rumors floating around aren't true! Trust me, I know I broke the law and fully expected a ticket, but somewhere deep down I was hoping the rumors of warnings was true! P.S. Another family member got pulled over in the same spot about an hour later (no CHL), but he got a warning!!!
It's to protect my family, and myself.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First contact

Post by Teamless »

Never know if it was the same cop, the same speed, the same attitude or the same gut feeling,

A CHL is not a "Get out of a ticket" card, but I know many people who have received tickets with CHLs and many that have not, (mostly of what I have read on here)

But as you said, you know you were speeding and probably knew that you were taking a chance of getting a ticket if caught.

Sorry you got a ticket, but congrats on the new little person in the world.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Were you just standing, or were you pacing nervously with a distraught look on your face? If you were in such a frantic rush that you had to speed, then maybe the officer didn't buy your story if you were just standing.

Devil's Advocate: Unless your sister was in the car with you, you probably should not have been speeding.

Also, congrats on the new nephew or niece.

Topic author
Majek

Post by Majek »

Ive got a healthy baby niece, and it was worth it!!! No, I was very calm, standing evenly on both feet, waiting to get out of there! My question is this...if the cop was worried about the gun being in the truck, enough so that he made me stand in front of his cruiser, why wouldn't he care about having someone else in the truck? Seems like he'd have asked her to step out as well. Maybe he was assuming she wasn't competent with firearms? :confused5 Heck, she's a better shot than me most days! And I'm usually a lights out shooter!

fickman

Post by fickman »

Majek wrote:Ive got a healthy baby niece, and it was worth it!!! No, I was very calm, standing evenly on both feet, waiting to get out of there! My question is this...if the cop was worried about the gun being in the truck, enough so that he made me stand in front of his cruiser, why wouldn't he care about having someone else in the truck? Seems like he'd have asked her to step out as well. Maybe he was assuming she wasn't competent with firearms? :confused5 Heck, she's a better shot than me most days! And I'm usually a lights out shooter!
It could be that your preemptive "it's in the door" rattled him a little. You anticipated his question and meant it to be courteous, but it could have come across as rude, cavalier, or even threatening. At that point, he hadn't seen your CHL and likely thought, "What's in the door? The murder weapon? A stash of drugs? A hostage?"

You assumed he pulled you over for speeding. . . he could've been responding to an Amber Alert with a description of a similar car. You may have also inadvertently communicated, "I get pulled over all the time and have so many tickets that I already know what you're gong to ask. . . it's in the door." Or he might have been put off at a perceived attempt to rush him in his job.

You also don't know his history with CHLers. .. it could be his first encounter. He could've just transferred from California and be an anti. He could've just arrested somebody with a fake CHL. During a traffic stop, his alert will be on high, and any communication outside of what he expects as "normal" could cause confusion, a misunderstanding, or frustration.

My recommendation is to stay calm and treat every encounter like it's the only one you'll ever have. Even if you know where the conversation is headed, you have to go through the dance steps to get there, and you have to let the LEO lead.

I think leaving your passenger in the car showed he wasn't too worried and was likely passing along a lesson in patience.

As others said, congrats on the niece! Be safe out there! And thanks for posting.
Native Texian

Topic author
Majek

Post by Majek »

Being a new member I appreciate all of your comments. People like you make this site so informative and successful. Thanks!

trentwhite778

Post by trentwhite778 »

fickman wrote:You assumed he pulled you over for speeding. . . he could've been responding to an Amber Alert with a description of a similar car. You may have also inadvertently communicated, "I get pulled over all the time and have so many tickets that I already know what you're gong to ask. . . it's in the door." Or he might have been put off at a perceived attempt to rush him in his job.

You also don't know his history with CHLers. .. it could be his first encounter. He could've just transferred from California and be an anti. He could've just arrested somebody with a fake CHL. During a traffic stop, his alert will be on high, and any communication outside of what he expects as "normal" could cause confusion, a misunderstanding, or frustration.

My recommendation is to stay calm and treat every encounter like it's the only one you'll ever have. Even if you know where the conversation is headed, you have to go through the dance steps to get there, and you have to let the LEO lead.

I think leaving your passenger in the car showed he wasn't too worried and was likely passing along a lesson in patience.

As others said, congrats on the niece! Be safe out there! And thanks for posting.
WOW! Very well said. Thanks for that!

Topic author
Majek

Post by Majek »

"Even if you know where the conversation is headed, you have to go through the dance steps to get there, and you have to let the LEO lead."

:iagree: That is the exact truth. I've learned my lesson about trying to lead that dance, and it will not happen again! :nono:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”