Curious About Contact

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mshil
Posts in topic: 2

Curious About Contact

Post by mshil »

So, my first (and only) LEO contact actually happened about 9 months ago. I hadn't really thought much about it, except I just realized I've never seen a post here where this happened.

Was driving from Austin to Houston, weekday morning, and got hit for speeding just outside of Houston - one of those small spots in the road where the limit suddenly and for no good reason just drops by 15mph.

Small town motorcycle cop pulls me over, approaches on the passenger side of the car and asks for my license and insurance. (I have colleagues in the car front and back seat.) I hand him license, insurance and chl. He takes them, goes back to the rear of the car for moment and then returns, says hes citing me for, I dont remember, like 72 in a 65 or something, hands me all my stuff and says have a nice day.

No questions, no comments, no nothing about the chl. Is this common at all?

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Curious About Contact

Post by Teamless »

Is it common that there is no issue or questioning about your weapon?
Yes, its common.
I believe that most officers realize the vetting process that CHLs go through, and believe that we are normally OK.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mshil wrote:So, my first (and only) LEO contact actually happened about 9 months ago. I hadn't really thought much about it, except I just realized I've never seen a post here where this happened.

Was driving from Austin to Houston, weekday morning, and got hit for speeding just outside of Houston - one of those small spots in the road where the limit suddenly and for no good reason just drops by 15mph.

Small town motorcycle cop pulls me over, approaches on the passenger side of the car and asks for my license and insurance. (I have colleagues in the car front and back seat.) I hand him license, insurance and chl. He takes them, goes back to the rear of the car for moment and then returns, says hes citing me for, I dont remember, like 72 in a 65 or something, hands me all my stuff and says have a nice day.

No questions, no comments, no nothing about the chl. Is this common at all?
I got stopped for a written warning (brake light out) a week ago. Showed both ID's. The guy looked at the CHL for exactly .5 seconds and handed it back without comment. Took my license and POI back to his car where he wrote the warning. Came back, handed me warning, POI, and TDL. 'Have a nice day sir,' and never a comment one way or the other about CHL, presence and/or location of gun. Pretty easy stop. In fact, out of the four times I've showed ID to a cop here in Texas (two of those were not related to driving), only one asked if I was armed and where the gun is.....and even he didn't want to disarm me or anything.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

"I believe that most officers realize the vetting process that CHLs go through, and believe that we are normally OK."

:iagree: If he knows his stats, he knows he has better than a 99% chance of dealing with a "good guy"
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

It is also possible that he skipped the standard, "are you carrying and where?" questions that many officers ask because he didn't want to "out" you in the event your passengers were not aware of your status.

Of course, he wouldn't let that stop him from asking if he felt it was a safety issue, so that would seem to indicate that this particular officer has a favorable view of CHLs.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

I would agree about the outing as well. My first encounter was during an officer's response to my getting t-boned by a guy that ran a red light. Even worse, I was heading to meet my brother at the range so had my range bag with about three other handguns besides the one on me and two rifles in the back seat of the truck. I think that guy would have freaked if he'd known all of that was there. The officer just quietly handed my CHL back to me with little comment or concern. :D
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

Topic author
mshil
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mshil »

That all makes perfect sense. I suppose it's just more likely that we hear about the cases when something 'interesting' does take place. As a side note, I suspect at least to of the passengers in my car were also carrying.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Sounds like Brookshire.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

strider67

Post by strider67 »

I got stopped a couple of weeks ago, the day before my birthday. Neither the birthday nor the CHL got me a warning from this Ft. Worth motorcycle officer. Similar to TAM, he took a glance at my CHL and handed it back, nothing else. Then he proceeded to write me a ticket. As I sat there reading it following his departure, I noticed that he added one mph to the speed he verbally stopped me for. The most unpleasant stop I have ever had and I will leave it at that. :grumble
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Teamless wrote:I believe that most officers realize the vetting process that CHLs go through, and believe that we are normally OK.
I sure wish employers and those compelled to post 30.06 signs would see things the same way.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Taggart

Post by Taggart »

rp_photo wrote:
Teamless wrote:I believe that most officers realize the vetting process that CHLs go through, and believe that we are normally OK.
I sure wish employers and those compelled to post 30.06 signs would see things the same way.
Amen brother.

Been stopped twice in Texas, both local cops, showed CHL both times, both asked where the gun was and then went on about their business.

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

My stops have all been fine with no issues, well, except this one by DPS that created this 9 page thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I have been in two "Traffic Accidents" in Texas since I started carrying on a regular basis in 1999. Both times I presented my chl and was asked if I was carrying. I answered yes and that was the last time it was mentioned. It probably helped that both times it was obvious I was quite calm and was more worried about the other people being hurt than about my vehicle.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”