So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Carry-less

Post by E.Marquez »

Not a comfortable feeling.

Do to governmental regulations I go to work each day as an only moderately protected potential victim, to a place of employment where terrorism (or workplace violence if you listen to the president) And while I do not like it, it is the reality I have to accept for another year.

BUT when I'm not at work (Fort hood) or traveling to and from with no other stops I carry, everywhere it is legal.
Today was an exception and it did not feel good.

For several months now we have had a friend of my sons staying with us.. He is a good young man, and just needed a helping hand while he got in to the work force, figured a way into his life.
Neither of his divorced parents were in a position to provide him a roof or basic needs. So we traded work at the house for life support and paid for his drivers ed training he needed, help with getting a job ect..... ANYWAYS... all that to say.....a few days ago, his mother was shot to death by an Ex up in Waco..... today was the funeral.

My wife, son and I went as family friends and for support.. but my required manner of dress, slacks and a polo did not allow for concealed carry with one of my chosen carry guns and available holsters.

SO left in the car it was, while I was in a public meeting place with the family of a recently murdered woman.. Just not something Im comfortable with.

Ive never owned a suit other then Army Greens, Dress blues, Dress Mess whites, and now ASU's.. I realized had I had a nice suit, or even a sport coat... I could have carried as I do most any other day.
I failed to plan ahead for what is a likely common event for me as i transition to civilian life and likely invited to many funerals over the next few years as my peer group, and fellow soldiers , friends get older and pass on.

The point of this post...most of us do a great amount of planning and consideration for how we will carry today in our daily lives.. but don't forget that less common situation you may place your self in,, where your standard method of carry just does not fit.
For me, this was a Never Again!!.
I have an appointment on Monday to be fitted for a suit, concealed carry gun included.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carry-less

Post by Dave2 »

bronco78 wrote:For several months now we have had a friend of my sons staying with us [...] a few days ago, his mother was shot to death by an Ex up in Waco
That's awful! And is it just me, or does it seem like there've been a lot of deaths around the forum lately?
bronco78 wrote:The point of this post...most of us do a great amount of planning and consideration for how we will carry today in our daily lives.. but don't forget that less common situation you may place your self in,, where your standard method of carry just does not fit.
For me, this was a Never Again!!.
Yep. I've pretty much accepted that I'll never be able to CC while swimming (Glock 26 in thunderwear, I know, but that'll be pretty obvious when I get out of the pool), but for everything else, my CC holsters are tuckable even though I can't remember the last time I tucked in my shirt. I am still missing a pocket pistol for when even a tuckable holster won't cut it, though...
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

I realize that it isn't a perfect solution and many don't like to wear it but your situation is exactly why I got a Kanagroo Carry.
http://kangaroocarry.com/ I have no affiliation with them other than as a customer.

It isn't going to work in places like the swimming pool but it does allow me to stand in front of our church with my EDC and carry in other places where more formal attire is required.

90% of the time, I have my IWB on. For the others, it is a mix of the Kangaroo and a fanny pack. I do have a mouse gun if nothing else will work but I try to make situations where I'm carrying only that rare.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Dave2 wrote:Yep. I've pretty much accepted that I'll never be able to CC while swimming (Glock 26 in thunderwear, I know, but that'll be pretty obvious when I get out of the pool), but for everything else, my CC holsters are tuckable even though I can't remember the last time I tucked in my shirt. I am still missing a pocket pistol for when even a tuckable holster won't cut it, though...
I'm breaking in a new Beretta Nano for when carrying my Glock 17 is less than ideal. I don't have a carry holster for it yet, but it looks like that lil guy will go pretty much anywhere. I've even heard of some folks going straight into the pocket without a holster. That's not my style, but it does have a 7-9lb trigger...
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TexasCajun wrote:I'm breaking in a new Beretta Nano for when carrying my Glock 17 is less than ideal. I don't have a carry holster for it yet, but it looks like that lil guy will go pretty much anywhere. I've even heard of some folks going straight into the pocket without a holster. That's not my style, but it does have a 7-9lb trigger...
:nono:
NRA Endowment Member

Post by 77346 »

:iagree:

and don't put any keys, wallet, etc. in that pocket... only a holstered gun. Last thing you want is reach for the gun and come up with your car keys, iPhone, money clip, or God knows what!
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

As I said, not using a holster is not my style. I've never made a handgun purchase without also adding at least one holster to the bill - even if that holster is just to set the gun in the safe.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

dressing up is one of the many time I'm glad we gals have so many carry options, purse carry being one.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bronco78, I'm sorry you had to deal with this tragedy, and I sincerely hope that the young man you're ministering to is doing OK.

I am not a suit wearer, simply because I can't afford to have something tailored that won't fit me in a few months, and off-the-rack suits that fit a guy of my "prosperous" physique look like crap. But I do have a "uniform" for formal occasions, and I've worn it to speak at both weddings and funerals: a corduroy blazer, dark shirt, jeans, and good boots. The blazer allows me to wear whatever my "EDC du Jour" happens to be. Maybe when I've reached my target weight I'll invest in a suit or two or three. But that said, my sartorial choices do vary according to the occasion at hand, and those sartorial choices don't all work to conceal a large framed pistol. That is why I have several different sizes/calibers of pistols for different applications.........that and I prefer to carry a lightweight gun to a heavy gun.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LSL

Post by LSL »

Suggest going to thrift shops, Salvation Army or Goodwill outlets and look for vests. No, not "tactical" style, but "orphans" from a donated three-piece suit or a Texas western in suede, leather, or even a solid cotton or corduroy. I buy one size larger so there is enough moveable room. My locally made IWB kydex/horsehide holsters, from <www.tripleTholster.com> are completely obsured. Added benefit, even with Houston heat in the summer, since I wear long sleeve shirts, I explain the vest away because the A/C is too cold in most buildings.
Look for inside pocket to hold extra mag and, vests with snaps better than buttons. FYI - I always reinforce buttons with a few new stitches. Most are in the $5 range. The most paid was $19, but it was leather with two inside pockets.
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

A 642 in the pocket beats a 1911 in the car.

Unless you're sitting in the car. :biggrinjester:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

stash

Post by stash »

bronco78 - You probably don't want it, but I commend you for what you have done for your sons friend.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

stash wrote:bronco78 - You probably don't want it, but I commend you for what you have done for your sons friend.
Thanks

We do because we can, if not us then who?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

stash wrote:bronco78 - You probably don't want it, but I commend you for what you have done for your sons friend.
:iagree: If more of us were like you, Bronco78, we probably wouldn't need welfare programs.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Dave2 wrote:
:iagree: If more of us were like you, Bronco78, we probably wouldn't need welfare programs.
Thank you..
BUT
"we probably wouldn't need welfare programs"
Sure we would.... did you not read the part where I said He had to trade work around my house for the benefits we provided him?

You looked around at most of those on welfare these days? You really think my idea of a helping hand would work for them :banghead:

Return to “Never Again!!”