Cop shoots himself in the leg at UC Berkeley

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Cop shoots himself in the leg at UC Berkeley

Post by Teamless »

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci ... source=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He was holstering his weapon and shot himself in the leg," said Police Capt. Margo Bennett. "It appears it's a straightforward injury and everything is going to be fine."
"It looks like it might have something to do with the equipment," said Tejada, who declined to be more specific as to the reason why the gun went off.
Really? Thats the excuse for an HK going off while holstering?
(FYI, Tejada sounds like a spokesman, not the cop that shot himself)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cop shoots himself in the leg at UC Berkeley

Post by C-dub »

Tejada said the gun the officer shot himself does not have a safety mechanism.
No safety mechanism? Looks like we have found a gun that is more dangerous than a Glock! :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

With the reference to "equipment", I've seen cases where a jacket drawstring or some other equipment got trapped into the holster while inserting the handgun, and pressed the trigger.

I am always careful when holstering to make sure my shirt tail or any other foreign object doesn't get wrapped in where I don't want it.

Either that, or he considers his index finger to be "equipment". :mrgreen:

Hope the guy heals without permanent damage.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I've never been to Berkeley nor have I yet to shoot myself in the leg....or anywhere else. That said, I bet it not only hurts but is as embarrassing as all get out.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jumping Frog wrote:Hope the guy heals without permanent damage.
:iagree: The damage to his ego may take some more time. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:I've never been to Berkeley ...
You are missing an experience. The last time I visited Berkeley I had a good Thai meal, saw a great concert, and witnessed a guy having a shouting match and fist fight with a telephone pole. I didn't stick around so I don't know who won.
NRA Endowment Member

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

Blackhawk Serpa?
NRA Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RSJ wrote:Blackhawk Serpa?
Could be. That's why I only put Glocks in my serpa. Don't want to compound the issue with any of those dangerous H&K's.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Jumping Frog wrote:Either that, or he considers his index finger to be "equipment". :mrgreen:
As usual, the failure seems to be with the biological hardware or maybe the software.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

C-dub wrote:
Tejada said the gun the officer shot himself does not have a safety mechanism.
No safety mechanism? Looks like we have found a gun that is more dangerous than a Glock! :biggrinjester:
Yep, but I doubt Kahr's are approved equipment in California. :mrgreen:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

TXPPQ

Post by TXPPQ »

bizarrenormality wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:Either that, or he considers his index finger to be "equipment". :mrgreen:
As usual, the failure seems to be with the biological hardware or maybe the software.
:iagree:

Or maybe he had the mind set of Mr. Lee Paige and thought that "He was the only one professional enough to carry a" H&K in Condition Zero... Complacency kills, or in this case wounds.
Walther PPQ 9mm
S&W M&P9c

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Oldgringo wrote:... I bet it not only hurts but is as embarrassing as all get out.
A few years ago, one of our School Resource Officers, a deputy with the [redacted] Co. SO shot himself in the leg at the range in a holstering mishap. Yes, you could easily say that it was probably the most embarassing thing that had happened in his life, to hear him speak of it. Not only did his fellow deputies give him a ration, but so did the kids at school. He was a trooper, though, and would politely look the jokester in the eye and tell them "that's what happens when you're not careful about what you're doing... be very careful about what you're doing." and that, was usually that.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Never Again!!”