A reminder of the idiots in our lives

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
exbellicus
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A reminder of the idiots in our lives

Post by exbellicus »

His wife didn't say much, not sure if she realized how close she was to being a widow. Mine was a bit stunned by the situation and we both are better gun owners because of the experience.

I realize the gun and what happens with it is my responsibility and his idiotic actions aside, it's MY fault I let this happen. Hoping others can learn with me from my mistake and show just how quickly one can lose control of a situation.

In the future I will certainly keep it holstered when such guests come into my home.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RHenriksen »

exbellicus wrote:
In the future I will certainly keep it holstered when such guests come into my home.
Only thing I'd offer to that is expanding that idea to almost any & all guests. Had to predict the future... Better safe than sorry.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

I'm sure you did learn a lesson that day, but I'd bet your brother learned a bigger, more sobering, and lasting lesson. Upon learning that it was loaded with a round in the chamber, I bet he sat down for a bit after all the blood drained from his face.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

C-dub wrote:I'm sure you did learn a lesson that day, but I'd bet your brother learned a bigger, more sobering, and lasting lesson. Upon learning that it was loaded with a round in the chamber, I bet he sat down for a bit after all the blood drained from his face.
I wouldn't bet on it. :roll:

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Oldgringo wrote:
C-dub wrote:I'm sure you did learn a lesson that day, but I'd bet your brother learned a bigger, more sobering, and lasting lesson. Upon learning that it was loaded with a round in the chamber, I bet he sat down for a bit after all the blood drained from his face.
I wouldn't bet on it. :roll:
That was my thought, too

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for the post exbellicus.

Chas.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

When my church holds"shooting" activities I always perform the RSO role. There are about 25% of the people that show up who have never used firearms and my task is to keep things safe and there are normally about 50 people there (way too much for one person to watch). So far things have gone well (with the exception of one ND when someone was pulling their .22 rifle from the car) but I pound into their heads firearms safety. I make them follow safety rules and I make them wear eye and ear protection (why adults think their kids do not need this I will never understand. I end up bring safety glasses and hearing protection every time to hand out).
I guess it is working since I heard one guy grilling the younger kids about when a firearm should be considered loaded (always). This guy never grew up around firearms but he now passes on what I taught him. The kids got it but unfortunately one adult kept saying his was unloaded (he felt like it was alright to point it toward others since he "knew" it was unloaded) and I had to correct him in front of the others and explain why it was wrong to point the "unloaded" shotgun toward us.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

C-dub wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote:
TexasGal wrote::shock: Better not give him the good steak knives at Thanksgiving. He may not realize they are actually sharp. :roll:
"rlol"

Thanks, OldGringo, for the laugh. I know this is a serious topic, but that one was really good.
:headscratch You mean TexasGal?
Yes, indeed, my apologies to TexasGal. I must have just finished a topic before this one with OldGringo posting something of humor. :oops:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

exbellicus wrote:His wife didn't say much, not sure if she realized how close she was to being a widow. Mine was a bit stunned by the situation and we both are better gun owners because of the experience.

I realize the gun and what happens with it is my responsibility and his idiotic actions aside, it's MY fault I let this happen. Hoping others can learn with me from my mistake and show just how quickly one can lose control of a situation.

Did you have words with him about being an idiot, and give him the "don't you EVER so much as touch one of my guns without first asking permission" speech?"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Heartland Patriot wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:I've had my share of dealings with people who are otherwise smart, but turn into complete buffoons when they pick up a gun. Luckily I've managed to convert a few.
Your efforts are appreciated, if no one has told you that before. We should all do what we can to "preach" firearms safety; a LOT of folks just never get exposed to firearms PROPERLY and it shows.
I do my best :thumbs2:

I was showing a friend an AR I had just built, and I put a magful of snap caps in to demonstrate the operation. When I was finished, I cleared it, and he asked to see it... then asked for the magazine with the snap caps again. Suspicious, I asked him why. He said he wanted to take it into the next room and chamber a snap cap, then point the gun at his roommate to scare him :totap:

Me: ".....No. Seriously??"

He honestly couldn't figure out why I was so annoyed at him. I put him and the roommate through a couple of hours of my own brand of safety training (I'm not an instructor, but I do my best with the limited knowledge I have), and a year later both of them had matured enough to shoot near-perfect CHL qualifications and now carry. They have a much healthier respect for firearms than they did before we began discussing them, even though both had shot before. Sometimes it just takes someone reaaaally paranoid (like me "rlol") to make them realize that safety is a big deal.

Just a couple of weeks ago before heading back over here I took my mom to the range for the first time. THAT was a bit of a safety workout... but no RSOs came in screaming at me, so I guess we did okay :thumbs2: I hate the idea of instructing, but once I'm actually there I enjoy it.

Here she is shooting my Five Seven:

Her groups were embarrassing me, but my excuse is that I was on a private lane so I was rapid firing "rlol"
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

KC5AV wrote:I'm glad it's just my wife, me, and three cats. My wife knows all of the guns are always loaded. The cats don't have opposable thumbs, so I don't worry about them too much.
What he said, exactly
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

I recently had the privilege of running a cub scout BB gun range and teaching some 200+ scouts the basics of shooting. During the safety briefing, which I gave EVERY day, there would always be one smart mouth kid that would raise his hand and argue with me about rule #1, NEVER POINT A GUN AT SOMEONE INCLUDING YOURSELF.

"but what if its unloaded? :evil2: ", the little brat would ask. Perhaps following up with some incipid..."my dad said.... :rules: "

"NO :rules: :mad5 :waiting: :roll: " I would curtly reply!!!

I would usually cut him off at his follow up "but..." and inform him that he was about 1 word away from ever shooting again if I'm the RSO!!! :rules: :coolgleamA:

The full bird Colonel, who was my supervisor, witnessed this and complimented me on my politeness...he would not have been so kind... :mrgreen:
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RHenriksen wrote:
exbellicus wrote:
Only thing I'd offer to that is expanding that idea to almost any & all guests. Had to predict the future... Better safe than sorry.
:iagree: Maybe ANY AND ALL ?
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

OTOH, who would pick up a...,er,..uh...say, a Faberge Egg off of the shelf/table in another's house and put it to their head? Are we intermingling stupidity with just plain 'ol bad manners or vice versa?

There is no excuse for inexcusable behavior, is there?

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

WildBill wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:
exbellicus wrote:
:iagree: Maybe ANY AND ALL ?
Well... I try to avoid too many absolutes. People I've personally trained and trust, and females who are scared of guns are a couple of examples. If there was more than one person around, dividing my attention, then I'd stow it regardless.

Return to “Never Again!!”