A reminder of the idiots in our lives

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A reminder of the idiots in our lives

Post by schufflerbot »

my good friend recently purchased his first gun, a very nice 9mm. I took him to the shop and we talked for an hour and a half about guns, safeties, options, capacity, caliber, control, etc...

i'm a very easy going dude for the most part so when we got back to his house and he proceeds to pick up the new weapon and point it RIGHT AT ME, he was mortified at my reaction and tone.

i can guarantee you this: he will never point another gun at anyone, save for defending himself or his girlfriend.

even after a ton of instruction, stories and warnings, some people have to be shocked into a safe mindset.

my father in law has been around guns his entire life and shoots very frequently... but if that old man muzzle sweeps my feet one more time i'm gonna go upside his head.

(not really, but i'll say something to him)

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Rex B wrote:
KC5AV wrote:I'm glad it's just my wife, me, and three cats. My wife knows all of the guns are always loaded. The cats don't have opposable thumbs, so I don't worry about them too much.
What he said, exactly
It is me, wife and 2 dogs. Same as Cats, no opposable thumbs.

Most of the grandkids are 16 - 21 and aren't stupid. The of the four youngest ones, two are way too young to worry about and I have a place to lock things up for the other two.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

sepiid

Post by sepiid »

this was crazy. i read it to the wife and she was shocked!

sooperdooper

Post by sooperdooper »

exbellicus wrote:
What does he say? 'Wow! I was about to point it at my head and pull the trigger as a joke!'

Natural selection...
46 days MB to MB

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

exbellicus wrote:'

What does he say? 'Wow! I was about to point it at my head and pull the trigger as a joke!'

No joke. My brother in law was a few seconds away from blowing his head off in front of my wife and his wife.

Just a quick reminder there's some real MORONS hanging around! Definitely some lessons learned on my end about keeping a better watch on my firearm and not making assumptions about common sense gun safety.
I am surprised he has lived this long. A case of Terminal Stupidity staring right at you.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasCajun »

Glad everyone ended up being ok & that nobody got hurt or killed. This would by why my gun stays in a holster on my side until I decide it's time to go to bed. And then it goes straight into the safe. I just don't believe I could live with myself if someone mistook one of my guns for a play-toy or made such a deadly assumption.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

bikerbill

Post by bikerbill »

That's an amazingly scary story ... Because we shoot, we take the rules of safety seriously. For non-shooters, it's apparently hard to believe that somebody would have a loaded gun around ... wow ... wife and I are alone here with a dog and cat; thank the stars animals don't have opposible thumbs ...
"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." Robert Heinlein

"The difference between a welfare state and a totalitarian state is a matter of time." Ayn Rand

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

bikerbill wrote:That's an amazingly scary story ... Because we shoot, we take the rules of safety seriously. For non-shooters, it's apparently hard to believe that somebody would have a loaded gun around ... wow ... wife and I are alone here with a dog and cat; thank the stars animals don't have opposible thumbs ...
Man shot after dog causes gun to go off
CNN News blog wrote:"The dog got excited, was jumping around inside the boat and then it jumped on the gun. It went off, shooting the (man) in the buttocks," Box Elder County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Kevin Potter told the Salt Lake City Tribune. The man was apparently setting up decoys when the gun went off, said Potter.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

You gotta watch out for those birds too.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-04-25/ ... triggering" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rl168

Post by rl168 »

Thought about this thread when I read the new below...

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Police-q ... 74541.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically husband playing with shotgun, gave it to wife said it is unloaded. Wife points shotgun at husband and pulled the trigger...

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Sonia Whitford, 47, told investigators she and her husband were drinking when her husband started playing with his shotgun. She said he told her the gun wasn’t loaded and handed it to her. She said she then pointed the shotgun at her husband’s head and pulled the trigger, police said.
There was more than one kind of stupid in that event. Alcohol + guns + ignorance = Disaster. Whether it was solely alcohol and stupidity or an argument and this is the cover will surely be the focus of the investigation. I can't imagine the emotional toll on everyone in that family.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

rl168 wrote:Thought about this thread when I read the new below...

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Police-q ... 74541.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically husband playing with shotgun, gave it to wife said it is unloaded. Wife points shotgun at husband and pulled the trigger...
So sad. 100% preventable...
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

It's not just those who have had no training or exposure to guns that do stupid things.

Some will remember the story of the young man here in San Diego last February who put the pistol to his head, trying to impress a new acquaintance of the female persuasion, and pulled the trigger after assuring said new acquaintance that it was unloaded, or "safe." The young man had graduated earlier that week from SEAL training, was a newly badged SEAL. It seems safe to say that he had been given firearms training at a level that few of us have ever, or will ever experience.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-573 ... ting-self/
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Good point and reminder none of us should get cocky thinking we wouldn't do anything dangerously stupid. Being only human can be a fatal condition for anyone.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

Exbellicus, thanks for sharing this as a reminder not to be complacent or assume that people have even the slightest amount of common sense. I can appreciate that you take responsibility for the firearm being accessible, However, I can't assign any fault to you. If we were dealing with a child that would be different but this is presumably an adult with at least some experience around firearms. Nevermind that you do not simply just handle someone's firearm without asking any more than would handle his wife. The level of idiocy required to just pick up any gun and especially someone else's with the intention of putting it to your head and pulling the trigger is incomprehensible to me. That is like taking a nap in the highway.

I would hand him a plastic knife at Thanksgiving and tell him it is because he isn't responsible enough for a real one.

Return to “Never Again!!”