DPS North Austin

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS North Austin

Post by srothstein »

I believe it has been posted before, both from me and other officers on the board, but there are multiple ways to get the information.

For example, in San Antonio, the city has even more databases than TxLobo has posted. They have a municipal court database that lists all of the tickets issued, with the cars the person was driving and the driver's information. They have a suspect database that lists all of the people reported as suspects in crimes, and the descriptions of the cars they were driving at the time. They have a gang member database, and a database of everyone who is on any police reports and the cars they were driving or owned.

And SAPD has written all of their own software. So, when a driver runs a plate, their software can check all of the databases at once. When the plate returns names from the various databases, it is easy to then run those names for warrants. And of course, the software combines the DL and warrant checks and gets a CHL return. I used to have a very good dispatcher there who would automatically do those checks for me even before some of it was automated as it is now.

So, the CHL is not tied to the registration but it may give the necessary information for the officer to get the DL/CHL returns.

Also, much more likely is that many officers have developed the habit of asking every person they stop if they are armed or have any weapons in the car. I always thought this was a useless question since the bad guys would not answer truthfully and I did not need to worry about the good guys. Not all officers agree with me or my definitions of good and bad guys (and I have to admit there are some good reasons for their arguments). So, some officers ask "do you have any guns with you?" and you may hear "are you carrying right now?" because you have a CHL.

I have several concerns about the government use of databases and our becoming a police state, but I also have to remember that my suspicions are nto always grounded in fact. Sometimes, it really is just coincidence. Sometimes it really is just a police department with a well developed computer system, And sometimes, it is the results of us hearing something slightly differently than what was asked.
Steve Rothstein

talltex
Posts in topic: 3

Post by talltex »

Really good information Steve....and it answers alot of questions folks have about why we hear so many differing explanations on this subject. :thumbs2:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasGal »

Yes, that explains a lot. So the best answer is "Yes, No, Maybe". :biggrinjester:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

atxtj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by atxtj »

Not a lot of help, but I was recently stopped by Round Rock PD and he asked me if I was carrying before I presented my ID and CHL. Super cool guy, and as he was walking away I asked him if it showed up I had my chl when he ran my plates, since he knew before I presented it, and he said yes. Take that for what it's worth I guess.

Topic author
mikedude

Post by mikedude »

tamc9395 wrote:Recently was pulled over by DPS on US 183 frontage road. Someone was in my blind spot as started to make a lane change and DPS was behind me a few cars. Needless to say, I was stopped and I was asked if I saw him. He already said I was just going to a warning when he walked up, but had to run it through it still. All the while, I was looking through my wallet for my CHL since I was carrying. I handed him my DL and told him I had my CHL but it was buried in my wallet. Basically asked if i was carrying and where, I responded and we moved on. I never handed him my CHL, so I assume he already had it from my tags. Very courteous officer and we were all quickly about our day. The only thing I still find strange was that he never asked to see my CHL (which I found while he was writing up the warning).
If he runs your driver's license, you are flagged with a CHL. Regardless of the CHL now days, you can carry in the car w/o one, so really a mute point. With racial profiling policies, you have to gather certain information that documents the stop whether you warn or cite. Sounds like a squared away trooper.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”