Poll: 2013 Session

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Which of the following Are your top 3 choices to pursue during the 2013 session?

Open Carry
21%
Campus Carry
21%
Expand Parking Lot Law
8%
Easier CHL renewals
7%
Reduce CHL fees
13%
Carry at Sporting events, bars, ect
12%
Full Constitutional carry
18%

Total votes: 495

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 4

Poll: 2013 Session

Post by canvasbck »

Just to see whats important to people
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll: 2013 Session

Post by srothstein »

I did not put my ultimate choice (Full Constitutional Carry) down. I did pick campus carry, easier CHL renewal, and lower fees. I want these three pursued this session because I think we can get them passed. We might be able to get a few more of the restricted places cleared also, but I don't see bars and sporting events going through too easily.

My thoughts are to concentrate our efforts on the small steps that we should be able to win each session. We can afford to take a long term view of eventually getting chapter 46 repealed if we keep making progress. And each time we get a small win and there are no ill effects, it makes it that much easier to get the next step through also.
Steve Rothstein

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

Campus Carry: Students should have the ability to defend themselves same as any other citizen. They shouldn't be penalized because they spend themajority of thier time on a college campus.

Expand/Clarify the parking-lot law: There are some VERY unfortunate rule benders out there. The law need to be more clearly defined to stop the grey area harassment/disarming of honest CHL holders that just want to work work without fear of random parking-lot inspection that may cost them thier job.

Expand Realm of Carry: Bars, sporting events, etc... Should allow carry. Keep the same rules regarding intoxication. Guns and booze don't mix. If I want to go to a cool bar downtown with friends and I'm not drinking why should I have to be disarmed? I'm also an amateur racer that attends events and I am never sure what constitutes a professional event and wether or not the castle doctrine/parking lot laws apply to my vehicle while competing. It shouldn't matter.

Not on the list but it would be nice: Stricter rules regarding the placement of 30.06 and 51% signs. I will happily obey these but I hate going places where they are placed in some out of the way location where I am already into an establishment and breaking the rules.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

I think we should be able to carry everywhere a LEO can carry.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

AEA

Post by AEA »

BINGO! :thumbs2: :cheers2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Stricter rules regarding the placement of 30.06 and 51% signs. I will happily obey these but I hate going places where they are placed in some out of the way location where I am already into an establishment and breaking the rules.
This would have been one of the choices, but with the 100 character limit on poll choices, I had to thin out some choices.

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

How about penalties for municipalities that violate preemption?
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

In PC §46.15 - Nonapplicability:

Move (b)(6) dealing with CHL's from (b) to (a), placing them in the same category as LEO's, and making PC §46.02 and PC §46.03 non-applicable to CHL's.

That would leave PC §46.035 still applying to CHL's, but it sets up the next session (2015) to have a bill allowing unlicensed open carry while adapting PC §46.035 to apply only to unlicensed open carry (thereby removing CHL's from PC §46.035).
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Jumping Frog wrote:In PC §46.15 - Nonapplicability:

Move (b)(6) dealing with CHL's from (b) to (a), placing them in the same category as LEO's, and making PC §46.02 and PC §46.03 non-applicable to CHL's.

That would leave PC §46.035 still applying to CHL's, but it sets up the next session (2015) to have a bill allowing unlicensed open carry while adapting PC §46.035 to apply only to unlicensed open carry (thereby removing CHL's from PC §46.035).
:iagree:
That, ( I think it's a b-6 to a-10 move IIRC) not only solves campus carry but also lets my pick up a kid at a school nurse's office and sign them out at he principal's office and
get my license plates at the County Tax Assessor office in the County Courthouse Annex
and
Renew my Driver's license at the DPS office located in the County Courthouse annex
and
this could also solve Schools etc not honoring Parking lot law for employees
etc
MasterOfNone wrote:How about penalties for municipalities that violate preemption?
In a nutshell, if these were the only 2 items that passed, I'd be so thrilled I'd be willing to let someone shave my head in public ... especially since I'm balding rapidly anyway :mrgreen:
Those are the two top items needing doing.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

I find something odd. The answer with the least number of responses, making renewals easier, is precisely what the first two pre-filed bills address. I'm pretty sure if I had made the poll a "pick one" poll, it would have few if any people making it their top priority.

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

I should have out fees. Ours are very high.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

MasterOfNone wrote:How about penalties for municipalities that violate preemption?
I absolutely agree with this one. If we break the law, then we're hung out to dry. But they continue to ignore the law, and we're caught in the crosshairs having to defend ourselves in a court of law if we carry as we are legally allowed to do in those places.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

canvasbck wrote:I find something odd. The answer with the least number of responses, making renewals easier, is precisely what the first two pre-filed bills address. I'm pretty sure if I had made the poll a "pick one" poll, it would have few if any people making it their top priority.
Maybe that suggests we shouldn't scarce spend political capital to save a few dollars. We should spend it on important things like where, when and how we can legally carry as Texans.

Constitutional carry would be ideal but there are not enough truly pro gun legislators to pass "shall not be infringed" in the formerly great state of Texas.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Reds45ACP wrote: Not on the list but it would be nice: Stricter rules regarding the placement of 30.06 and 51% signs. I will happily obey these but I hate going places where they are placed in some out of the way location where I am already into an establishment and breaking the rules.

Hey if we a dreaming here, eliminate 30.06, and have the law written so that Gun Busters signs mean nothing, except that you may be asked to leave the property if seen with a gun. If you do not leave the property it would be a simple (non firearms related) trespass charge.

This would be similar to what some other states have, and would set us up for success with Open Carry in future sessions.

Although I understand what the thinking was at the time (or at least believe I do) 30.06 has run its course and will need be eliminated or majorly retrofitted for us to move forward on other issues.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I'm all for removing automatic prohibitions against concealed carry (schools, racetracks, bars, courts, etc). And I'm also in favor of lightening the load on the renewal requirements. But I think that the process for obtaining the initial license is fine just the way it is. As a matter of fact, if you keep the initial issuance process as-is; it provides ammuntion in the argument to remove prohibited places. It would essentially be the same reasoning that's printed on the TSRA 30.06 response cards: As a CHL holder I've passed a DPS & FBI background check, have no felonies, am not delinquent on taxes or child support, do not have a domestic violence history, etc. But once I've already gone through all of that & have not done anything to jeopardize a renewal, getting that renewal should be a little easier I think.

Next on my list would be a stronger parking lot law. The one that we have currently is pretty good. But my employer still maintains that having a firearm anywhere on the property is grounds for being fired. Since there's no express penalty contained in the law, there's the perception that since Texas is right to work, they can do whatevery they want to. Having a stated significant penalty would go a long way in solving that issue.

Eventually, I'd like to see open carry adopted - not because I would personally, but because I don't think that the outsider sees any difference between concealed & open. To them, a firearm is a firearm, and it doesn't matter if it's concealed or not. But that's a longer-range goal. If we'd get the automatic prohibitions removed, strengthen the parking lot law & possibly lower the renewal requirements this term; I think that'd be a big win for our side.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”