Only one card to carry? HB 158

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Only one card to carry? HB 158

Post by jmorris »

The way I read this your DL will be able to do double duty as your CHL license.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 00158I.htm

Sec. 411.1795. DRIVER'S LICENSE DESIGNATION. (a) The department shall adopt rules allowing an applicant for the issuance, modification, or renewal of a license under this subchapter, in addition to or instead of being issued, modifying, or renewing the license, to elect to include on the person's driver's license a designation indicating that the person is licensed under this subchapter. The rules must include procedures to ensure that a person who makes an election under this section receives and maintains a designation on the person's driver's license only if the person meets the requirements for the issuance or modification and any necessary renewal of the license under this subchapter.
Last edited by jmorris on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Only one card to carry? HB 158

Post by AEA »

jmorris wrote:The way I read this your DL will be able to do double duty as your CHL license.

[b][color=red][[/b][/color]http://www.l ... 00158I.htm

Sec. 411.1795......................
Here......fixed it for ya!
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 00158I.htm
Last edited by AEA on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

I don't want my CHL status on my DL but I'm sure it will appeal to the CHL Badge crowd.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I don't want CHL noted on my DL.
Didn't read the bill... hopefully it won't be mandatory.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

AEA

Post by AEA »

Read the bill quickly.......could care less either way........
But if it passes how will this work?

You have a DL good for 5 years and a CHL that is good for 5 years. Both of them do not expire on the same date = problem.

You have a DL that also says CHL but your CHL expired (did not renew) 2 years before your DL expires = problem.
Get my drift.....several problems with this.........

This is a solution to a problem that does not exist. It's purpose is to show LEO's your CHL Status on your DL. If they have your DL, they already have your CHL status (CURRENT) on their computer flashing in BIG RED LETTERS!.
1911's RULE!

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 2farnorth »

Keep them separate. If I get stopped in a 2A non-friendly state I don't want them to know about my CHL unless I tell them. I also don't want every Tom, Dave, and Henrietta that I have to show my DL for ID to know that I have a CHL. It's none of their business. :grumble
N5PNZ

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

2farnorth wrote:Keep them separate. If I get stopped in a 2A non-friendly state I don't want them to know about my CHL unless I tell them. I also don't want every Tom, Dave, and Henrietta that I have to show my DL for ID to know that I have a CHL. It's none of their business. :grumble
AMEN! We may have to travel through a State like NJ or NY and I would hate for any LEO in either place to know about my CHL. When you add in the overlapping renewal problems, it sounds like a bureaucratic mess just waiting to happen.

A 2nd piece of plastic doesn't weigh that much. :biggrinjester:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 5

Post by OldCannon »

From the FFL perspective:

A current Texas CHL is a valid replacement for an FBI background check. If we merge it into a driver's license withOUT any visible indicator, then the state would have to provide FFLs a way to verify a DL # against a CHL. Most likely the state won't bother with the cost/effort of setting such a system up.

Remember, not everybody that has to check your ID is a cop :tiphat:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

AEA

Post by AEA »

I put on my Legal Glasses and read it a bit closer. It appears to be an optional choice to have it or not to have it on your DL.

Of course IANAL, so really I have no idea what it means! :smilelol5:

I do believe it will serve the purpose of taking up time in the process that may affect more desired legislation in this session. :banghead:
1911's RULE!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm for keeping it separate, but the reason is probably to cut down on the cost. I am in favor of that, but like others have said, I don't want everyone I need to show my DL to know about my CHL. If the reason is to help cut down on the number of people that forget to display their license and inform a LEO requesting ID, I don't buy that. If they were worried about it they would not have removed the penalty for not doing so or just lowered it to a fine.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 5

Post by OldCannon »

A couple comments:
1) Missouri has used the "CHL" stamp on driver's licenses for several years now to no apparent detriment to the safety of the license holder
2) There's no reason, really, that we can't apply the CHL designator on the BACK of the DL. Just flag the license with a "P" code (or something else) and show the CHL number on the back
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

If Texas does like some States do and use your Social Security Number as your Driver's License number, they could just put a checkmark on your Social Security Number database that you're *most likely* a gun owner since you have a CHL

I see that it solves the "I forgot to give my CHL to the officer with my TDL" ... but a strip of tape does that too;

I keep my CHL right behind my TDL and behind the CHL is my car insurance so the CHL is sandwiched between TDL and car insurance card and not forgotten in my wallet .

I'd prefer to make it my own choice whether to reveal a CHL status to the front desk lady at doctor's offices, bankers, store clerks and others asking for ID that see my TDL, but not my CHL... however, It's not nearly as important as getting more places we can legally carry... like inside school buildings when I pick up ill kids from the nurse and have to take my gun out and hide it in a car ... or college campus or the areas of the courthouse annex where the DPS, County Tax Assessor, County Tax Appraiser and other offices are in that same building as a Court, but in different hallways/areas etc
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

AEA wrote:I put on my Legal Glasses and read it a bit closer. It appears to be an optional choice to have it or not to have it on your DL.

Of course IANAL, so really I have no idea what it means! :smilelol5:

I do believe it will serve the purpose of taking up time in the process that may affect more desired legislation in this session. :banghead:
:iagree: It appears to be optional. It may die in committee. I won't do it if it is optional. My CHL status is "nunua" as in "Nunua bidness."
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

If the change made CHL renewals included free with DL renewals, it might be worth it. Otherwise it looks like a solution in search of a problem. Unless the "problem" is how Republicans can claim they pass "pro gun" legislation while continuing to block meaningful reform like campus carry.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

Yeah, a solution in search of a problem. I think this could be used as fodder to protect the more important issues (like campus carry).
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”