Gun under night stand stolen.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun under night stand stolen.

Post by Maxwell »

I'm probably just a little sensitive because when we were broken into they missed the gun in my nightstand. Now when I leave the house everything gets locked up. When we have company it goes on my belt out of sight. My belief is that if my wife or I do not have control of it, it is not safe.

I hope you can recover it soon.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

sepiid
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sepiid »

i know its been said, but when you leave the house lock up your guns or carry them with you. it is a minor PITA but could save you a lot of trouble.

dafobbishon3

Post by dafobbishon3 »

tacticool wrote:
pcgizzmo wrote:I will now be using some type of quick access safe. I woke up this morning to find the gun under my night stand gone.
If they took it while you were asleep you're lucky that's all they did.
:smilelol5: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smilelol5:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

pcgizzmo wrote:
Maxwell wrote:I have to ask: Why would you leave a gun unsecured when you weren't home to keep an eye on it?
Why did it take you until morning to realize it was missing? As a nightstand gun shouldn't it have been checked before you went to sleep?

I am sorry for your loss and I really am not trying to beat you up, but my first reaction is that there might have been a little carelessness on your part also...

Well, I guess that is a valid question but like I said it was my night stand gun there for quick access and it was hidden under my night stand so unless someone actively looked for it under there they would not have seen it. I have no kids so I am not worried about that and my wife knows how to shoot my guns so that wasn't an issue either. People even when I have company don't go in my bed room. I have friends that I have been to there house no less than probably 50 times and I've never even seen there bedroom so the thought about someone entering my bed room w/out me being present wasn't on my mind. Yes, I should have thought about the house keeper but I've come upon guns even as kid and knew that they were something I should not touch. I would assume an adult would know the same unless they were intent on taking the gun which was apparently what happened.

I have knives in around the house also and they are dangerous but I don't put them up every time I leave either.
I don't think it's a good idea to leave guns unsecured in the house....and you've experienced one reason why. Another reason is that there are instances of someone breaking into a house, finding a supposedly hidden gun, and using it on the returning homeowner. I don't want to be shot with one of my own guns. I also don't want one of my guns stolen and used in a crime. I too keep a gun in the nightstand, but I take it out of the safe and put it there when I go to bed and I put it back in the safe before I leave the house in the morning. Of course, none of us are perfect and I have my lapses, but I try to make it a point never to have a gun out of my control...which basically means I either have it on me, nearby me in a space I control, or locked up.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

sepiid wrote:i know its been said, but when you leave the house lock up your guns or carry them with you. it is a minor PITA but could save you a lot of trouble.
:iagree: It's a good idea to lock the door when you leave the house, even if you think you live in a safe neighborhood.

DJRYAN13

Post by DJRYAN13 »

Maxwell wrote:I have to ask: Why would you leave a gun unsecured when you weren't home to keep an eye on it?
Why did it take you until morning to realize it was missing? As a nightstand gun shouldn't it have been checked before you went to sleep?

I am sorry for your loss and I really am not trying to beat you up, but my first reaction is that there might have been a little carelessness on your part also...
I have no kids. My door locks keep my guns secured. I have a safe for the nice stuff, but keep a shotgun behind the bed post for quick action. I would rather lose the shotgun to a theif then not have it when needed if by some luck I was home during the break in..

My take away, if you can afford cleaning people, you should not be so stressed over losing a gun. Keep a cheap shotgun behind the bed post (mount to wall using a PVC pipe). If you have kids, beat them more so they don't mess with it.

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

I'm really surprised by all of the people saying he should have had it locked up... to each your own but I don't see how you can say that is a requirement. I'm not judging you if you feel that is what you want to do for your own piece of mind.

If you feel you need to lock up yours so be it but I don't see any reason to lock up every weapon everytime someone isn't in the house. The chance of not having it ready to go when you need it increases immensely in this scenario. "Go to" guns need to be at the ready. Lock up the others but for protection guns do what you feel is right in your mind based on your situation (kids, etc).

If someone breaks in and steals a weapon and uses it that is on them. I personally wouldn't be happy that it happened but it isn't on my conscience. They made their own decision to steal it and then use it. I didn't provide it for them or leave it somewhere they could find it in public.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

grim-bob wrote:I'm really surprised by all of the people saying he should have had it locked up... to each your own but I don't see how you can say that is a requirement. I'm not judging you if you feel that is what you want to do for your own piece of mind.

If you feel you need to lock up yours so be it but I don't see any reason to lock up every weapon everytime someone isn't in the house. The chance of not having it ready to go when you need it increases immensely in this scenario. "Go to" guns need to be at the ready. Lock up the others but for protection guns do what you feel is right in your mind based on your situation (kids, etc).

If someone breaks in and steals a weapon and uses it that is on them. I personally wouldn't be happy that it happened but it isn't on my conscience. They made their own decision to steal it and then use it. I didn't provide it for them or leave it somewhere they could find it in public.

It's not "required" in Texas, and shouldn't be. I just don't want to provide a gun for someone breaking into my home to be used against me or my family. As a "protection gun" is always on my person it's always ready to go when I need it.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

grim-bob wrote:If someone breaks in and steals a weapon and uses it that is on them. I personally wouldn't be happy that it happened but it isn't on my conscience. They made their own decision to steal it and then use it. I didn't provide it for them or leave it somewhere they could find it in public.
Grim-bob, I agree with this part of your post.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

DJRYAN13 wrote:My take away, if you can afford cleaning people, you should not be so stressed over losing a gun. Keep a cheap shotgun behind the bed post (mount to wall using a PVC pipe). If you have kids, beat them more so they don't mess with it.
Your "take away" is very strange and disturbing. I hope that you aren't serious.
NRA Endowment Member

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

pcgizzmo wrote:I will now be using some type of quick access safe. I woke up this morning to find the gun under my night stand gone. I put it there for quick access. The only people that have been in my house are the house cleaners. I'm off to report it stolen. Not a good day for me.
not to say it coudlnt have been the house cleaners, but since I have learned how easy it is to break into a house with out leaving any signs of a break in, I have seriously been considering some kind of alarm system. this just reinforces that thought.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

zero4o3 wrote: not to say it coudlnt have been the house cleaners, but since I have learned how easy it is to break into a house with out leaving any signs of a break in, I have seriously been considering some kind of alarm system. this just reinforces that thought.
A little late night studying......?? :shock: ;-)

My Dad always said that "locks keep honest people honest. If someone wants to break-in and steal your stuff, there's little you can do to stop them."

Now what happens after they break-in thru the locks depends on the circumstances.

An alarm just lets you know you've been robbed....criminals know that police response times to property crimes are just too long for them to actually get caught.

I have several weapons around when I'm in the house...but when I'm out; they're with me or in the safe.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

pcgizzmo wrote:I will now be using some type of quick access safe. I woke up this morning to find the gun under my night stand gone. I put it there for quick access. The only people that have been in my house are the house cleaners. I'm off to report it stolen. Not a good day for me.
Maybe it's time to consider doing your own cleaning.

Sure the convenience is great, but an obvious security strategy is to let as few people into your house as possible.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Sorry for the loss of your gun. I have always been afraid of hiring a cleaning service for this very reason. Mark me down as another person who did not realize the gun insurance part of the NRA membership has to be activated. I plan to check into it tomorrow. Just off hand... How much will it cover and can we buy extra?

baraco01

Post by baraco01 »

Any info on the make, model and serial number? This way, if we come across someone selling the particular handgun, we'll know it was stolen. Sorry for what happened.

Return to “Never Again!!”