Only one card to carry? HB 158

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Only one card to carry? HB 158

Post by SewTexas »

on the one hand, I'm all for reducing what I have to carry in my wallet :roll:

On the other, I'm in and out of BAMC a couple of times a week and the one time I accidentally gave the guard my CHL card...well, the kid was very impressed, but I was embarrassed and had to tell him 3 times I did not have my pistola with me :oops: :oops:

I'd just as soon keep them separate
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

DEB

Post by DEB »

Doesn't the Texas Drivers License have a magnetic strip? Couldn't one just enter the information within the strip? That way nothing is shown on the license itself, much like the current Military I.D. card. With the DoD I.D. card (CAC) all required information is placed on the card itself. So, you do your CHL class, pass all required, bring your drivers license to the local drivers license issue point, they just run it through a scanner that places the required information on the card. Shoot you could probably even have it done at the local Police Department. (Yep, some police departments are friendly). When L.E. wants your information they just scan your license; I mean isn't that being done already?
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

jordanmills
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jordanmills »

Having that option is a small step in a good direction.

cyphur
Posts in topic: 7

Post by cyphur »

I am all for a flag on my license to reduce cards in my wallet - as long as it does not say "CHL" in bright red on the front or back. Something that folks in the know, will recognize.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 5

Post by OldCannon »

DEB wrote:When L.E. wants your information they just scan your license; I mean isn't that being done already?
So, as an FFL, I have to buy a magnetic stripe scanner to see if you have a CHL?
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

Our CHL already contains the DL number. Why not put the driving restrictions on the back of the CHL--like the current DL--and let me carry only that if I wish? The State can continue to issue each separate license and let the citizen decide how they want to carry it (them).
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

tiviti

Post by tiviti »

:iagree: That would be the most convenient option for me. Not that an extra card weights much, but I carry a small card wallet with limited space. I wouldn't mind reducing what I need to carry around while still retaining the flexibility to show only as much as I want.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Giving bureaucrats options is like trying to herd cats. We've got to give them one clear set of directions or the whole thing's liable to fall apart. And the whole CHL expires in X while the DL expires in Y would still need to be addressed.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

katiethompson

Post by katiethompson »

I included this bill in a blog post on pre-filed bills I'm following. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments, if you like!

http://texasgrizzlette.com/2012/11/83rd ... following/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:patriot:
"When a man who is honestly mistaken nears the truth, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -Thomas Paine

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chasfm11 wrote:
2farnorth wrote:Keep them separate. If I get stopped in a 2A non-friendly state I don't want them to know about my CHL unless I tell them. I also don't want every Tom, Dave, and Henrietta that I have to show my DL for ID to know that I have a CHL. It's none of their business. :grumble
AMEN! We may have to travel through a State like NJ or NY and I would hate for any LEO in either place to know about my CHL. When you add in the overlapping renewal problems, it sounds like a bureaucratic mess just waiting to happen.

A 2nd piece of plastic doesn't weigh that much. :biggrinjester:
In those states, having your CHL status on your driver's license if you get stopped for a traffic violation would be seen as an invitation to search your vehicle on a fishing expedition.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Looks like trouble to me for two reasons

A: I have family members who are anti Gun don't want to let them see driver license marked CHL

B: If going out of state this might cause issues with LEO not familiar with Texas law

It is no big deal to carry two cards
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

RPB wrote:If Texas does like some States do and use your Social Security Number as your Driver's License number
Oh, they'd better not. Social Security Numbers were only designed to be used as an account number within the social security program (IIRC, it even used to be illegal to use them for any other purpose). If you think identity theft is bad now, just wait until you've got to have a card with your SSN on it in your wallet. There are already over 40 million duplicate SSNs out there. Do you really want to foist that problem into your driving records and your CHL status?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 5

Post by OldCannon »

RPB wrote:If Texas does like some States do and use your Social Security Number as your Driver's License number,
Wait...what states do this?
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

DEB

Post by DEB »

OldCannon wrote:
DEB wrote:When L.E. wants your information they just scan your license; I mean isn't that being done already?
So, as an FFL, I have to buy a magnetic stripe scanner to see if you have a CHL?
I see your point and I guess I don't really care about having another Identification card, sigh. I am retired Military, so I have a Retired I.D. I work for the Military, so I have a CAC. I work at the Hospital on post, so I have a Hospital I.D. I am accredited, so I have my credentials I.D. I drive a vehicle, so I have a Driver's License. I have a CCW, so I have a CCW I.D. I reckon the CCW I.D. don't matter none. At least I know where part of my money went to, when I applied for my CCW. But, concerning your question a bit further, what happens if we go to constitutional carry? I guess not only the ones who give the CCW classes will be miffed.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

OldCannon wrote:
RPB wrote:If Texas does like some States do and use your Social Security Number as your Driver's License number,
Wait...what states do this?

I didn't think this was legal? your passport doesn't even have your ssn on it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”