FFL Transfer needed for inter-state transactions?

FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MikeStone
Posts in topic: 1

FFL Transfer needed for inter-state transactions?

Post by MikeStone »

I'm hoping one of you FFL can help settle a debate that is raging on another thread:

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59713

My father in law from Michigan is planning to give me several firearms. He plans to drive them down. I don't know if they are registered in Michigan, several are probably older.

Does an FFL transfer need to occur? If so, does it need to occur in Michigan or Texas and who has to be present?
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

- Thomas Jefferson

recaffeination

Re: FFL Transfer needed for inter-state transactions?

Post by recaffeination »

If the two people are residents of different states, federal law requires FFL for transfer.

For handguns, the tranfer must take place in the state of residence of the person getting the guns. For long guns, it depends on state law. But in either case, federal law says a FFL must be involved unless BOTH PEOPLE are residents of the state where the transfer happens.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

recaffeination wrote:If the two people are residents of different states, federal law requires FFL for transfer.

For handguns, the tranfer must take place in the state of residence of the person getting the guns. For long guns, it depends on state law. But in either case, federal law says a FFL must be involved unless BOTH PEOPLE are residents of the state where the transfer happens.
What about contiguous states? I thought the GCA of 68 had an exception there.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
recaffeination wrote:If the two people are residents of different states, federal law requires FFL for transfer.

What about contiguous states? I thought the GCA of 68 had an exception there.
That is only for dealers and long gun sales. You can actually buy a long gun from many states now and cary it back. Handguns are only for in-state sale or must be transfered through an FFL in your state of residence.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “FFL Holders”