Looking for hog hunt

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 6

Looking for hog hunt

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Not sure where to post, my nephew is coming from Michigan for Christmas and he really wants to do a hog hunt. He's been been hunting deer all season in Michigan both bow and rifle, but hasn't gotton one yet.

Would like any recommendations that are 1-2 hours from DFW and would be not real expensive.
Thanks.
NRA Life Member

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for hog hunt

Post by stroo »

I don't have the results but a year or so ago I did a google search for hog hunting Dallas. There were a lot of hits some of which looked very promising to me. You might also check for Greenville, Commerce or Bonham. As I recall there were a number of places out in that direction. Some south also between here and College Station.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

geekwagun wrote:Not sure where to post, my nephew is coming from Michigan for Christmas and he really wants to do a hog hunt. He's been been hunting deer all season in Michigan both bow and rifle, but hasn't gotton one yet.

Would like any recommendations that are 1-2 hours from DFW and would be not real expensive.
Thanks.
http://www.2bhuntingranch.com/index.php

According to Google maps, it is 2:25 east by northeast from Dallas. I've been wanting to go on a hunt here with my son some day.

"No kill, no pay" pricing:
$150.00 for hog up to 100lbs
$75.00 for 2nd hog up to 100lbs
$200.00 for any hog over 100lbs
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

These are two I found before posting.

http://www.texas5starhuntingadventures. ... g-hunting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.northtexaspighunting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by GeekwithaGun on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member

Waco Kid

Post by Waco Kid »

The Annoyed Man wrote:"No kill, no pay" pricing:
$150.00 for hog up to 100lbs
$75.00 for 2nd hog up to 100lbs
$200.00 for any hog over 100lbs
Those prices remind me of a coworker who took his young son to one of those catfish fishing ponds. The fish were something like $4/pound. Within 5 minutes, kid pulls in a 10 lb catfish. "We're done". Pack up and go (with his $40 fish).

Be my luck, my son would take down 2-3 hogs in one set, I'd I'd be on the hook for $500 worth of pig (I know they scramble, but strange things happen sometimes). :)

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

I, too, have been wanting to go on a hog hunt. The money and time is what's keeping me out of it so far.

However, the more I think on it, the more I 'm wondering....
Are there some ranchers that would welcome a few folks to come in a shoot as many as possible just to get rid of them?
That is, if they're the pest they've been described to be.

Looks like there'd be benefit to both sides of the equation.

Just my thoughts.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LabRat wrote:I, too, have been wanting to go on a hog hunt. The money and time is what's keeping me out of it so far.

However, the more I think on it, the more I 'm wondering....
Are there some ranchers that would welcome a few folks to come in a shoot as many as possible just to get rid of them?
That is, if they're the pest they've been described to be.

Looks like there'd be benefit to both sides of the equation.

Just my thoughts.

LabRat
LabRat, I don't mean this as a slam towards you, but why would they invite you instead of me? My point is that if they were to "invite a few folks" it would probably be someone they already knew, like family members or close friends. Unless I was charging for the hunt, that's what I would do. I know that if I owned a 1000 acres of hunting land, I'd probably have a lot more "friends." :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

There are several places in Van Zandt, Henderson, Smith, and Anderson County's that need people to come rid their property of hogs.

It is my understanding they DO NOT charge. The hogs are destroying their land and have been such a nuisance they are asking people to come.

In an insurance policy I received about 7 months back Texas Farm Bureau had an advertisement in their renewal policy.

Topic author
GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

carlson1 wrote:There are several places in Van Zandt, Henderson, Smith, and Anderson County's that need people to come rid their property of hogs.

It is my understanding they DO NOT charge. The hogs are destroying their land and have been such a nuisance they are asking people to come.

In an insurance policy I received about 7 months back Texas Farm Bureau had an advertisement in their renewal policy.

This is what I would prefer - a land owner that needs it. I can't find anything like this and don't know any land owners, so hoping someone would be able to help.

Also, if we do find something durign the week of Christmas (Dec 26-29), would anyone else be interested?

My nephew would want to use his bow - that's his thing. I would rather use a rifle.
NRA Life Member

kbarrick

Post by kbarrick »

The DB Hunting Ranch has hog hunts for $100 for one hog, extra for others. I have hunted there and found it acceptable. The website is dbhunting.com.

Keith

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

if it is free get them off my land, I am in and I have no use for the meat.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

Look into type 2 land (public hunting) for $40.00 you can hunt cooper lake (east of dfw)
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Topic author
GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

barstoolguru wrote:Look into type 2 land (public hunting) for $40.00 you can hunt cooper lake (east of dfw)
Will look into this too
NRA Life Member

Grapevinebill

Post by Grapevinebill »

Take this from someone who has not hunted in the state of Texas before... Are hogs considered a shoot them whenever type of game or is there a season and do you need a licenses? Just wondering, you never know... this could be a great way to get back in to hunting. I haven't hunted since 1980. Yes my first child was born in 1981 and life changed after that...
I've spent a lot of money on guns, bullets and holsters.... The rest I've just squandered away!

Topic author
GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

You need a license, however there is no "season" for it.

They are listed under exotics on the Texas dept of wildlife
NRA Life Member

Return to “Hunting Photos”