Travis County stop

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Travis County stop

Post by flechero »

This happened 2 weeks ago while on vacation. Officer was a fairly young Travis County Sheriff's Deputy.

About 10pm on a Sun night ( wife and I were headed to the HEB to get meds for sick baby) at 71 / 620 I see cruiser pull across 3 lanes of traffic to get in behind me at the light. He followed me until we got an area that was safe and easy to pull over before hitting the lights. He greets us with a smile and a good evening. I had DL,CHL & Ins. at the ready for him- his only question on the entire stop was if I have weapon on me. Yes Sir. Then he lets me know that he stopped me for a brake light out and his stop was a matter of courtesy since I would likely not know it was out. He actually apologized for holding me up but wanted to be sure I knew so I could get it fixed. He then told us to have a great evening. No questions, no fishing, nothing but the most polite and respectful LEO I have ever encountered. I thanked him for letting us know and wished him a happy Thanksgiving.

This stop go against everything I have heard about TCSD and has completely changed my opinion of them.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Travis County stop

Post by Keith B »

flechero wrote: This stop go against everything I have heard about TCSD and has completely changed my opinion of them.
This was one officer and a good one it sounds like. However, it takes more than just one incident change to my thoughts on a whole dpeartment, good or bad.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Wonderful story!

Such experiences helps renew our faith in law enforcement.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

flechero wrote:This happened 2 weeks ago while on vacation. Officer was a fairly young Travis County Sheriff's Deputy.
Kudos to you and the young LEO. Maybe he is one of the "new generation" of LEOs who will continue to improve public relations and cooperation with his fellow citizens. :txflag: :patriot:
NRA Endowment Member

PSTL*PAKR

Post by PSTL*PAKR »

NOT AIMED AT THE OP. JUST IN GENERAL....Why do CHL holders feel like they shouldnt be ticketed when pulled over? Get upset when they do receive a citation. We are not above the law or even equal to the law. Police officers do not consider us "one of them"or "like them." But a lot of CHL holders feel like LEO's shouldnt write us up if we break the law. My twin brother is a police officer. (H.P.D) He says there are a lot of cops that would even ticket their OWN MOMS for speeding. I feel like if you do the crime, you got to do the time!
Took class 8/11/12 -Applied online/finger prints/mailed 8/15/12-Received in Austin 8/17/12-Background under review 8/31/12-
Background complete/mfg. pending 10/09/12--MFG 10/10/12-MAILED 10/11/12--Received 10/18/12!!!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

PSTL*PAKR ,

Trolling?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

PSTL*PAKR wrote:NOT AIMED AT THE OP. JUST IN GENERAL....Why do CHL holders feel like they shouldnt be ticketed when pulled over? Get upset when they do receive a citation. We are not above the law or even equal to the law. Police officers do not consider us "one of them"or "like them." But a lot of CHL holders feel like LEO's shouldnt write us up if we break the law. My twin brother is a police officer. (H.P.D) He says there are a lot of cops that would even ticket their OWN MOMS for speeding. I feel like if you do the crime, you got to do the time!
I feel like CHLs are the good guys and LEOs should give them a break and not give them a ticket. Good guys should stick together to fight the real bad guys.
NRA Endowment Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

PSTL*PAKR wrote:NOT AIMED AT THE OP. JUST IN GENERAL....Why do CHL holders feel like they shouldnt be ticketed when pulled over? Get upset when they do receive a citation. We are not above the law or even equal to the law. Police officers do not consider us "one of them"or "like them." But a lot of CHL holders feel like LEO's shouldnt write us up if we break the law. My twin brother is a police officer. (H.P.D) He says there are a lot of cops that would even ticket their OWN MOMS for speeding. I feel like if you do the crime, you got to do the time!
Is this feeling based on evidence?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

well officer the next time you make a TS on a fellow police offier make sure you write that citation because a cop off duty has to obey the traffic law just like everyone else!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Hate to break it to everyone, but he was fishing...

...Just not trying to catch CHL holders.

(Take it from a fellow "fisher")

He did it right though - nobody could tell.

If you watch good interdiction guys talk to people on a stop they are goofy, like able, and polite. Until they find the dope.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

gigag04 wrote:Hate to break it to everyone, but he was fishing...

If you watch good interdiction guys talk to people on a stop they are goofy, like able, and polite. Until they find the dope.

kinda caught that when I read it, thats what the smart aleck comment LOL, sometimes I have a good thought or 2, BTW the twin brother is his evil twin

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I was accused of a similar position. Another officer said I would give my own Grandmother a ticket. I answered that if she messed up bad enough I would. :evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

mgwerks

Post by mgwerks »

Back in the day, I did write other (off duty) LEOs tickets. Truthfully, I didn't stop all that many, but like many civilian offenders, their mouths talked themselves into receiving a ticket that started out as a warning.

PSTL*PAKR

Post by PSTL*PAKR »

JP171 wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Hate to break it to everyone, but he was fishing...

kinda caught that when I read it, thats what the smart aleck comment LOL, sometimes I have a good thought or 2, BTW the twin brother is his evil twin

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

Granted he could have been fishing for dope smell or whatever. But the fact is that I DIDN'T know I had a brake light out and the IS ticketworthy. I was surprised to not get a ticket.

So you guys are saying that ANY stop that doesn't end with a predetermined ticket, with no explanation or context involved, is a fishing expedition? I think that is a real negative statement about our law enforcement. I hope I missed some context in your posts. And if that is really what the job is these days, I give the Deputy credit, he's doing his job better than any other LEO I have contacted. :tiphat:

Call it what you want, I call it a good contact because compared to all other stops I remember, this one was a pleasant, and involved true public service. (many others also didn't involve a ticket)

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”