So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 4

Probably never again

Post by longtooth »

THis week.
SIL is building a pond. Rented the equipment, hired a retired friend that has done LOTS of them to run the dozer. Hired me for the wage I am worth to run the track hoe. SIL is driving the dump.

Been 40 yrs since I ran heavy equipment except for a couple of days at a time helping someone. Never ran anything this big.
Used to run a 4 stick backhoe. This one has 2 wiggle sticks, a cab w/ heater. :woohoo
Never had that.

Anyway fun week. :thumbs2:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Probably never again

Post by Excaliber »

It should be lots of fun to go digging in the dirt again as you did when you were a kid, except on a much grander scale.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

As they say, big boys, big toys. :mrgreen:

Have fun and hope you dig up some buried treasure!! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

One summer in high school I was hired by a rancher out here to clear mesquite. He had rented a big ol' excavator... not sure what size, but it's the big one that you normally see out doing work. That was a good time!
No More Signature

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

My last day today. Dam is nearly done. Road to the pond needs some more. Today I am digging a couple of deep holes for winter Crappie & catfish.. :evil2:
At 63 now I hope I am around to catch somebig ones.
Looks like about 2ac surface area when full & 12 ft deep. Crappie & catfish holes will be as deep as I can reach.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

This is the perfect time of year to set that up. The Christmas trees you'll need for some good cover for the crappies will be readily available in another couple of weeks.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I will remind SIL about that. We have a few stumps to roll back in.

Today is my last day.
Tomorrow I get ready for Sunday & a CHL class Sat.
:tiphat:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Tried once to run a small dozer to push out some stumps from a field we were clearing. Small dozer, big stumps. Guy we hired to do the dozer work was having what looked like an easy time of it so I asked and he was nice enough to let me give it a try. A few instructions and 10 minutes of trying and the first stump was still hanging on. As I got down from the dozer he said "don't worry about it man, some people got it and some people don't".

Life lesson right there in the dirt. "rlol"
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

20 something years ago I was outting a septic tank in. I rented a back hoe with a bucket on the front and a skid loader. My wife challenged me with, "Are you sure you can do this?" I said, "All those guys do is sit up there and push levers."

Well a day and a half later, after turning over the back hoe and having to right it with hydraulic jacks and come-alongs, I was so beaten up and sun burned I couldn't get out of bed. Had to miss two shifts at the station.

The meaness of this is, every time we pass someone working one of these jewels, my wife likes to point and say, "Look at him, he's just sitting there pushing levers." Twenty years later and she still hits me with that.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Yes & the Lord blessed me w/ runnin machines. He sure did not bless me w/ plumbin, mechanicin, electricin, acedemicin, computerin & the such like.

Return to “Never Again!!”