Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 1

Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Post by rp_photo »

I've been carrying regularly since 3/2011, and so far have forgotten to take my wallet twice in the past few weeks. I've also done it a few times pre-CHL, but never twice over such a short period of time.

Since I pocket carry, there is probably some residual instinct to put only one large object in my pockets which the gun satisfies should it be placed first.

Similarly, I've forgotten the gun a few times.

I carry my phone in a small belt-attached camera case, which makes it a separate routine and less likely to confused with the other items.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

CoffeeNut

Re: Remembered the gun but forgot the wallet

Post by CoffeeNut »

I've forgotten my wallet a few time pre-CHL but now that I carry I tend to place my gun on top of my wallet at night so when i wake up its right there to grab along with the wallet. Even if you put yours in a safe try putting the wallet in with it as I doubt you'll forget your wallet and your gun :txflag:

Also just a note that might be handy. Many with a CHL and otherwise have an EDC pocket loadout and specific pockets for each item so that way you can do the quick tap to make sure its all there. For example my knife clips on my left pocket, my wallet in my back right, phone in front right, keys on key fob and gun on hip. Before I leave any place I'll lightly tap all of the places and instantly know if something is misplaced or in the wrong spot.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

I keep photos of my DL and CHL on my phone as backup.

I know it does not satisfy the strict legal requirement, but for the 99% routine LEO encounter, they should suffice and certainly couldn't hurt.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Just got back from a birthday celebration at the in-laws. A full day at church, driving over and sitting around nicely armed. I go to slip the $10 bills (at adult birthdays we all give cards and $10) that I realized I didn't have my wallet. I have had it happen once before and I got kind of sick to my stomach, but since then the penalty has been removed for not displaying the CHL and since I have my numbers memorized, I wsn't to worried. All's well that ends well but, for a while at least, I will be more diligent.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

CoffeeNut wrote:Also just a note that might be handy. Many with a CHL and otherwise have an EDC pocket loadout and specific pockets for each item so that way you can do the quick tap to make sure its all there. For example my knife clips on my left pocket, my wallet in my back right, phone in front right, keys on key fob and gun on hip. Before I leave any place I'll lightly tap all of the places and instantly know if something is misplaced or in the wrong spot.
:iagree: What I do too. :tiphat:

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

CoffeeNut wrote:I've forgotten my wallet a few time pre-CHL but now that I carry I tend to place my gun on top of my wallet at night so when i wake up its right there to grab along with the wallet. Even if you put yours in a safe try putting the wallet in with it as I doubt you'll forget your wallet and your gun :txflag:

Also just a note that might be handy. Many with a CHL and otherwise have an EDC pocket loadout and specific pockets for each item so that way you can do the quick tap to make sure its all there. For example my knife clips on my left pocket, my wallet in my back right, phone in front right, keys on key fob and gun on hip. Before I leave any place I'll lightly tap all of the places and instantly know if something is misplaced or in the wrong spot.
:iagree:

I have more then gun I carry on a regular basis, but I purchased a little valet tray that I set my wallet / keys / everything else I keep in my pockets day to day and my p238 sets on it also. this way I either pick up the as I leave or remember I need to go grab my 239.

I also have developed the tap habit interestingly enough out of the need to keep up with my ID badge for work after a few times of getting all the way to work with out it only to turn around and drive back

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Jumping Frog wrote:I keep photos of my DL and CHL on my phone as backup.
Good idea!

:tiphat:
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Diz

Post by Diz »

Also keep a photo of insurance card and hunt/fish license on cell phone. :iagree:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

If I had a dollar for everytim...Ohhh, never mind... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

erick619

Post by erick619 »

PUCKER wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:Also just a note that might be handy. Many with a CHL and otherwise have an EDC pocket loadout and specific pockets for each item so that way you can do the quick tap to make sure its all there. For example my knife clips on my left pocket, my wallet in my back right, phone in front right, keys on key fob and gun on hip. Before I leave any place I'll lightly tap all of the places and instantly know if something is misplaced or in the wrong spot.
:iagree: What I do too. :tiphat:
+1.

Pistol IWB right hip; phone and knife in front right pocket; wallet and knife on back right pocket; cigs, lighter, and flashlight in front left pocket; keys back left pocket; and spare mag left hip.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers)

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

Lol, did this yesterday. Ran to the bank with my XDS on my hip and left my wallet on my desk. Fortunately my banker knows me and I was able to do my transaction without my ID. It didn't even dawn on me that I was illegal since I didn't have my chl on me, my gun is just a part of me and I don't really think about it anymore.

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

That's why God invented and issued pants pockets...lol. If one always has their wallet in their pocket (with proper ID's, etc.), then forgetting a wallet would never be an issue... Along with that, "don't forget one's gun!"

:fire :patriot:
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Wait 'til you guys get old........ "rlol"
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I too have forgotten my wallet on occasion. Not much you can do about it. For CHL holders your driver's license will confirm if you have a CHL. Not the required proof, but a way for the LE to verify.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

texanjoker wrote:I too have forgotten my wallet on occasion. Not much you can do about it. For CHL holders your driver's license will confirm if you have a CHL. Not the required proof, but a way for the LE to verify.
Nice thought. But seeing as they sit next together in my wallet, if I do not have my CHL then I do not have my DL, and vice-versa. "rlol"
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Never Again!!”