Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners

Post by RPB »

Fury After Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners in New York

Posted on December 24, 2012
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/fury-af ... -new-york/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

OldCannon

Re: Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners

Post by OldCannon »

I wonder how long we will keep tolerating this stuff? Seems that we hold a higher regard for politeness and civility than most mass media people. I can't imagine that things like this can go on without repercussions.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

equin

Post by equin »

Wow, what an atrocious breach of privacy upon law-abiding gun owners. If anything, stunts like these could motivate people NOT to abide by the law and apply for permits (which, by the way, I think is an abomination of 2nd Amendment rights anyway - to have to apply for a permit to have a handgun for self defense in one's own home).
Ed

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

The only effective remedy available is boycott, shun, competition.

Media exists to attract eyeballs, or earballs in the case of radio, and if nobody reads, watches or listens, they're goners. Remember Air America? Nobody listened to that nonsense and sponsors evaporated.

Complaining and avoiding those who advertise in the paper works too, eventually if carried out on a widespread scale without let up.

That needs to happen while the argument continues, on a parallel track.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
To create the map, The Journal News submitted Freedom of Information requests for the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam. By state law, the information is public record.
:mad5 :mad5 :mad5

The paper is just exploiting what information is already freely available if you ask for it.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Soooo...

Would you rather be one of the listed, and be subject to a bad-guy breaking in to try to steal your house-gun? Or would you rather be one of the unlisted, and be a target because the bad-guy would know you're unarmed?

Seems like a lose-lose situation to me.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Paper did that a few years ago here in VA with the ChL database. They ended up sued and legislation was passed to fix that from happening again.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Main reason it took me so long to go ahead and apply for CHL was this behaviour and that it is not preventable. And this is just another peg in the wheel of bull profused by all who claim this can't happen. I was repeatedly told this couldn't happen by people trying to get me to enroll in a class.

The fact that gun-free zones have caused so many to be beaten and or killed just coming home from an event the last couple of years made me chose to go ahead. Especially here in the Houston area where we "imported" so much crime during the Katrina Exodus..

mikedude

Post by mikedude »

Great - make them a target for burglars..real smart!

The problem is our OPEN society. Sure people have rights, free speech, press, ect, but at some point, what about others rights that you are imposing on? Owning a pistol gets your name published?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I wonder if any of the paper's employees were on that list and removed prior to publication.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

DevilDawg wrote:Main reason it took me so long to go ahead and apply for CHL was this behaviour and that it is not preventable. And this is just another peg in the wheel of bull profused by all who claim this can't happen. I was repeatedly told this couldn't happen by people trying to get me to enroll in a class.

The fact that gun-free zones have caused so many to be beaten and or killed just coming home from an event the last couple of years made me chose to go ahead. Especially here in the Houston area where we "imported" so much crime during the Katrina Exodus..
To create the map, The Journal News submitted Freedom of Information requests for the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam. By state law, the information is public record.
Quite different in TX. By state law only law enforcement has access to that information. A news paper cannot get that info unless they somehow hack into the state database. If they do they will end in jail.
GC §411.192. CONFIDENTIALITY OF RECORDS.
(a) The department shall disclose to a criminal justice agency information contained in its files and records regarding whether a named individual or any individual named in a specified list is licensed under this subchapter. Information on an individual subject to disclosure under this section includes the individual's name, date of birth, gender, race, zip code, telephone number, e-mail address, and Internet website address. Except as otherwise provided by this section and by Section 411.193, all other records maintained under this subchapter are confidential and are not subject to mandatory disclosure under the open records law, Chapter 552.
(b) An applicant or license holder may be furnished a copy of disclosable records regarding the applicant or license holder on request and the payment of a reasonable fee.
(c) The department shall notify a license holder of any request that is made for information relating to the license holder under this section and provide the name of the agency making the request.
(d) The department shall make public and distribute to the public at no cost lists of individuals who are certified as qualified handgun instructors by the department and who request to be included as provided by Subsection (e). The department shall include on the lists each individual's name, telephone number, e-mail address, and Internet website address. The department shall make the list available on the department's Internet website.
(e) An individual who is certified as a qualified handgun instructor may request in writing that the department disclose all or part of the information described by Subsection (d) regarding the individual. The department shall include all or part of the individual's information on the list as requested
Last edited by JJVP on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

DevilDawg wrote:Main reason it took me so long to go ahead and apply for CHL was this behaviour and that it is not preventable. And this is just another peg in the wheel of bull profused by all who claim this can't happen. I was repeatedly told this couldn't happen by people trying to get me to enroll in a class.

Short of a hacking attack, it's absolutely preventable in Texas because the law in Texas goes out of the way to protect the confidentiality of CHL holders. You can't access the data unless you're LEO with reason to do so.....and even then, you can only look up to confirm whether an individual has a CHL. You don't get to download a copy of the database for your own uses. I'm pretty certain that an attempt to do so and steal the entire database would result in a hostile visit from DPS....

....not to mention the possibility that the thief would no longer be safe from "SSS" in rural areas once he/she was identified. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Krampus

Post by Krampus »

The Annoyed Man wrote:....not to mention the possibility that the thief would no longer be safe from "SSS" in rural areas once he/she was identified. :mrgreen:
The reporters are on my list also. They have been very naughty kinder.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

Interesting, my son in law is not in there, that I can find, so the list must be incomplete.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

jimlongley wrote:Interesting, my son in law is not in there, that I can find, so the list must be incomplete.
Does he have any friends that work for the paper?

Return to “Off-Topic”