Carry recommendations for my wife

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Laneman
Posts in topic: 2

Carry recommendations for my wife

Post by Laneman »

Hi Ladies,

My wife is interested in getting her CHL, what do you recommend for her to carry? She's average size, 5 foot 4, small hands. She shoots my Glock 19 9mm ok, so I was thinking she would like either that or an M&P 9c. She doesn't like revolvers or .380's. I think she wants to carry on a belt and sometimes in purse, though I recommended against purse carry. Thanks in advance

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry recommendations for my wife

Post by Keith B »

Laneman wrote:Hi Ladies,

My wife is interested in getting her CHL, what do you recommend for her to carry? She's average size, 5 foot 4, small hands. She shoots my Glock 19 9mm ok, so I was thinking she would like either that or an M&P 9c. She doesn't like revolvers or .380's. I think she wants to carry on a belt and sometimes in purse, though I recommended against purse carry. Thanks in advance
I think you have answered your own question; she should carry whatever she likes, shoots well and is comfortable with. Everyone is different, so she needs to experiment and try different things until she finds what SHE thinks is right. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I recommend you take her to a local range that has rentals, and let her shoot a variety of guns. Let her pick what fits her, and that she can comfortably shoot.

You don't buy her shoes for her, or tell her how to wear them. It is the same with a handgun. The gun that she carries, regardless of what it is or HOW she carries it, is better than the one she leaves at home because she doesn't like it.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Laneman wrote:Hi Ladies,

My wife started with a S&W 642, but she qualified with a Glock 19 and liked it so much that she bought one. But the Glock did not work well with her carry style (primarily purse carry with occasional holster use). After she had a chance to try shooting my Kahr PM9, she loved it but wanted something just a tad bigger. We bought her a Kahr CW9, and that has been her EDC ever since. It's a single stack 7+1 round 9mm, and it's really light and simple to operate. It's also very reasonably priced, typically around $399.00.

You can probably find a range that has one for rent to try out. Just a thought....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

I really like my Walther PPS. As Crossfire said, the best thing is to let her try a variety. I'm just mentioning the Walther as a possibility to consider. I carry it OWB. It's very slim, takedown is extremely easy, and I like the mag release on it (on the trigger guard).
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Topic author
Laneman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Laneman »

Thanks everyone, good advice.

Return to “Ladies”