Finding teachers CHL's

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Wodathunkit
Posts in topic: 1

Finding teachers CHL's

Post by Wodathunkit »

Feeding off Cyphurs post on the volunteer school defense force (good read).

I have three daughters. The oldest is in 5th grade. She has 22 students in her classes. Some of these kids have been in school with her since private pre-school. If CHL's were allowed in school and if my daughters teacher(s) were interested in obtaining a CHL, I would pay for them to become CHL's. if I offset the cost with just five like minded parents in my daughters class it wouldn't be any financial strain on me (even multiplying by my 3 girls). Since recent events, of the 15 parents I've talked to so far, 9 would support this cause. If her teacher wouldn't be interested, I would find a teacher, principle, counselor, or custodian that would.
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Finding teachers CHL's

Post by jmra »

Wodathunkit wrote:Feeding off Cyphurs post on the volunteer school defense force (good read).

I have three daughters. The oldest is in 5th grade. She has 22 students in her classes. Some of these kids have been in school with her since private pre-school. If CHL's were allowed in school and if my daughters teacher(s) were interested in obtaining a CHL, I would pay for them to become CHL's. if I offset the cost with just five like minded parents in my daughters class it wouldn't be any financial strain on me (even multiplying by my 3 girls). Since recent events, of the 15 parents I've talked to so far, 9 would support this cause. If her teacher wouldn't be interested, I would find a teacher, principle, counselor, or custodian that would.
I think this is a great idea. I bet if you got a group of teachers together you could find an instructor who would do a freebie (great publicity). DPS needs to change their practice and accept the electronic finger prints already on file for teachers. Use DL photo. Do the shooting portion on someone's farm.

Do all of that and you only have the state fee to come up with. Get 5 parents to go in together and you're talking less than $30 bucks per parent per teacher. A great investment.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

This thread is what inspired me to start the one in the 2013 legislative session board about lowering the state CHL fee for teachers (if we can't get that $140 fee lowered for *everybody*)
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

jmra

Post by jmra »

RHenriksen wrote:This thread is what inspired me to start the one in the 2013 legislative session board about lowering the state CHL fee for teachers (if we can't get that $140 fee lowered for *everybody*)
Yep. My wife looks at me sideways every time we pay the state fees because hers is twice the cost of mine due to my veteran status.
As a nurse of 20+ years (many of those years at Children's Hospital in New Orleans) I feel she has done more for this country than I ever did in my 4 years of military service. My time in the service pales in comparison to the difference she has made in people's lives and in our community.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

It shows if the people setting the fees are uniters or dividers.

smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

A business owner/instructor in San Antonio offered free classes to all teachers who enroll by 1-6-2013 and a discount to teachers who enroll after that date. A gun shop in San Antonio is offering to pay for CHL classes to any teachers who buy a handgun from them.

http://www.lonestarhandgun.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:txflag:

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

jmra wrote: DPS needs to change their practice and accept the electronic finger prints already on file for teachers. Use DL photo.
I don't know about Texas but in California, LA especially, where forgery is practically a way of life, there would be too much risk of getting the wrong prints with the wrong applicant, on purpose. The safeguards to prevent this would be more extensive than having everyone just give new prints, I think.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jmra

Post by jmra »

JALLEN wrote:
jmra wrote: DPS needs to change their practice and accept the electronic finger prints already on file for teachers. Use DL photo.
I don't know about Texas but in California, LA especially, where forgery is practically a way of life, there would be too much risk of getting the wrong prints with the wrong applicant, on purpose. The safeguards to prevent this would be more extensive than having everyone just give new prints, I think.
Here in Texas DPS and TEA use the same company and the same procedures (at least in my case) for finger printing. I guess there could be some addition security in doing it twice but the prints are tied to your DL the first time you do it just as it is the second time you do it.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

I'm not sure about this train of thought. I got my DL in 1952 and was not fingerprinted and have not been since by DPS. Not until I got my CHL. I taught school for 28 years and never was fingerprinted then. So where does DPS and TEA get these fingerprints? :headscratch

Frank
Training and learning to survive this world while preparing for eternity.
NRA

jmra

Post by jmra »

Since (I believe) 2008 all teachers are required to be finger printed. Regardless, if you haven't been finger printed then you would need to be. If the same company used by DPS has your finger prints on file and used the same procedures to obtain them then what could be the objection?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

jmra wrote:Since (I believe) 2008 all teachers are required to be finger printed. Regardless, if you haven't been finger printed then you would need to be. If the same company used by DPS has your finger prints on file and used the same procedures to obtain them then what could be the objection?
When I objected to having to give new fingerprint cards for a CHL renewal (in Florida) I was told that fingerprints change. Getting them correlated without misstep is another possibility, of a magnitude I can't calculate.

Just give new ones. You always have your fingers with you, don't ya? If it costs $15 or $20, it'll keep you from wasting it on some stupid degrading movie.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jmra

Post by jmra »

JALLEN wrote:
jmra wrote:Since (I believe) 2008 all teachers are required to be finger printed. Regardless, if you haven't been finger printed then you would need to be. If the same company used by DPS has your finger prints on file and used the same procedures to obtain them then what could be the objection?
When I objected to having to give new fingerprint cards for a CHL renewal (in Florida) I was told that fingerprints change. Getting them correlated without misstep is another possibility, of a magnitude I can't calculate.

Just give new ones. You always have your fingers with you, don't ya? If it costs $15 or $20, it'll keep you from wasting it on some stupid degrading movie.
I would buy the whole finger prints change thing if it wasn't for the fact that DPS only requires digital prints once. After that you don't have to provide them again.
It is about streamlining a system to reduce unnecessary costs.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

jmra wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
Here in Texas DPS and TEA use the same company and the same procedures (at least in my case) for finger printing. I guess there could be some addition security in doing it twice but the prints are tied to your DL the first time you do it just as it is the second time you do it.
Everybody seems to want their own set of fingerprints. I have been to that livescan place 1/2 dozen times over 5 years.

Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

Thanks jmra, I retired from teaching in 1998 so was never printed there. I did have to go to L1 for prints to get on a construction job then went to another town for same company and had to be printed again because they said they did not keep the prints. Sounds like a money maker to me.

Frank
Training and learning to survive this world while preparing for eternity.
NRA

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jmra wrote:As a nurse of 20+ years (many of those years at Children's Hospital in New Orleans) I feel she has done more for this country than I ever did in my 4 years of military service. My time in the service pales in comparison to the difference she has made in people's lives and in our community.
That's a nice thought. I thank both of you for your service. :patriot:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”