Reloading shopping list

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Reloading shopping list

Post by pbwalker »

Instead of hijacking another thread, I figured I would start a new one.

I planned on reloading about 2 years ago, but never got in to it. I even got a single stage Lee press. But, alas, life got in the way...we moved, I changed jobs, etc. So now that I have a big "man cave" garage, and the room to do it, I plan on getting in to it. I'd like to cast bullets as well.

Is there a "shopping list" I can use as a guide, or can someone here tell me what is needed to get a setup going? I'd be reloading .223 for sure, but would like to eventually reload 9mm, .40, .45, .30-30, etc.

From the melting pot to ignots, to dies to presses...what is a good setup? I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on quality if it is economical.

Thanks in advance.

:tiphat:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Reloading shopping list

Post by Jumping Frog »

Everything starts with what volume do you want to reload per month or per year. Someone who wants to load 150 rounds a month has much different needs than someone who wants to load 3,000 a month, and there are all variations in between.

Since you already have a single stage press now, why don't you simply start reloading a minimal setup first to see if you enjoy handloading. I know everyone talks about the money you save, but in my experience, very few people continue handloading just to save the money if they dislike it. Other people find they enjoy handloading and it becomes a second hobby.

So try it first. If you like it, then you can start sinking serious money into your hobby.

Of all the calibers you listed, .45 ACP is the easiest one to reload. It is not a bottlenecked case and it is a relatively low pressure cartridge. If it was me, I'd start with that.

To get started, I'd suggest the following tools:
With the above list, plus brass, primers, powder, and bullets, you could start reloading .45 ACP immediately. Total cost of the above is about $225. All of the above purchases can be useful down the road, even if you end up getting much fancier gear as part of really diving into the hobby.
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Cartridge gauges for handgun loads can save you a lot of bullet pulling. Don't ask how I know.....

Next?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Oldgringo wrote:Cartridge gauges for handgun loads can save you a lot of bullet pulling.
If someone is loading semiauto pistol, you can always field strip the gun and use the barrel as the case gauge.

-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Cartridge gauges for handgun loads can save you a lot of bullet pulling.
If someone is loading semiauto pistol, you can always field strip the gun and use the barrel as the case gauge.

[ Image ]
That'll work. Gauges are a lot more convenient and less space consuming; however, I do use the cylinder for .38 Spec.for a gauge.

slinco

Post by slinco »

I started out with a Dillon 550 with a strong mount and bullet tray and never looked back.
Case gauges, calipers, case lube, good tumbler, brass trimmer ( i use a WFT trimmer), ammo boxes, powder scale and lots of the wifes tupperware!
I am currently loading .223, .40 and .45acp.
The Dillon is fast and flawless, not sure about the economical part!!
PETULANT MISANTHROPE
Why do they call it Tourist Season if ya can't shoot 'em?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Oldgringo wrote:Gauges are a lot more convenient and less space consuming;
I agree, that is why I have assorted Wilson or Dillon case gauges for various calibers. But not everyone is going to spend that money.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

AndyC wrote:We should make Frog's post a sticky :)
Naw, because next time it is needed it is your turn to post that same picture again. :biggrinjester:

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

we don't all suffer problems with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Mine works perfectly for .38, .357 mag, .44 mag, and .45acp ... all with lead. Maybe I'm one of the lucky few with decent quality barrels and luck choice of projectiles. Perfect crimp, every time, and I would assume since I suffer no leading problems that I'm not distorting my bullets with the FCD.... or, I'm just lucky.
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

agree with everything Jumping Frog said.

Also, I'd say start with reloading commercial bullets, then add casting once you have some reloading experience.

While there are lots of good supplies, I'd suggest one of these 2 places for lead bullets:
http://www.bslbullet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bayoubullets.net/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

daddySEAL

Post by daddySEAL »

Numero Uno on your list should be a couple of good reloading manual, friend~!!!!

APynckel

Post by APynckel »

if you start enjoying the hobby, I would suggest you get a dillon press very quickly so that you can start paying for the capital with bulk .45 acp loading. It will pay for itself in no time (if you shoot a lot, but you will shoot more once you have production going).

Being able to churn out a couple boxes worth of ammo in a half hour is very nice, not to mention, not having to run all your ammo through a single die, then changing to the next process etc for every cartridge. That's what got old for me with pistol ammo.

Also, keep your single stage press. It is always good to have for precision rifle handloads. Very important to have the hands on methodology of a single stage for every part of loading fine tuned rifle ammo.
NRA Lifetime Member

Richardc

Post by Richardc »

I started with a Lee turret press. you can use it as a single stage until you are more comfortable, then install an auto index fro faster production yet allow for more control. I also now have a Lee Pro1000, an old CH single stage press(got it and a bunch of other reloading stuff in trade for doing my old Gunny's CHL class), and a Lee Load All. Some really good deals can be found on Crags List. I have wheeled and dealed a lot of stuff for reloading on that site, even if its against there "rules". :tiphat:

And dont start on me about "Lee presses are sloppy" or "that is for ammeters". :nono: I will put any ammo I have loaded with my Lee against any other ammo. :fire
"That door you just kicked in was locked for YOUR protection, Not mine."
http://www.chldefense.com
http://www.facebook.com/chldefense

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I use Lee tools almost exclusively... should I be concerned ;-)
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Return to “Reloading Forum”