CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MegaWatt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun stores that don't allow CHL carry

Post by MegaWatt »

wgoforth wrote:
Luggo1 wrote:
wgoforth wrote:Merles in Granbury has official 30.06 and he will tell you he wants to be the only one with a loaded gun in the store. He had a customer arrested because he brought in a gun to be repaired (even though he is a gunsmith).
And so ol' Merle figures this sign assures him of that does he? Sounds like a bright guy...
Wow, just googled on his store and here was a review on Yellow Pages confirming my comment (I didn't write it!):

"Worst experience, worst customer service, horible owner with no people skills. Murle is mean, rude and unprofessional, he treats his customers like crap and threatens them when questioned. His specialty is surfing the internet and writing fake reviews for him self. Normally they are short and sweet, saying how great he is and how much they respect him for his way of doing business. Do NOT fall for this propaganda... murle... your not fooling anyone. For those who do venture in, DO NOT bring children... he is a dangerous unstable man. DO NOT ask questions and for God's sake, do not carry if you have a CHL... he will call the police and take your gun. HE IS CRAZY. "
Sounds like Ol' Merle is too incompetent to work on anybody's gun and too dumb to run a gun store. Maybe he should become a florist or something. :lol:
MegaWatt

NRA Endowment Life
TSRA Life
IHMSA
IDPA

Colt - The original "Point and Click" device.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

I don't care if it's a restaurant, a movie theater, a gun shop, a gun show, or a charity. If they post an anti CHL sign then they don't get my money. Life is too short to do business with prejudiced idiots.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

rm9792
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rm9792 »

wgoforth wrote:Merles in Granbury has official 30.06 and he will tell you he wants to be the only one with a loaded gun in the store. .
Does he think the criminals are going to comply with that? This Merle sounds like a first class moron.

bikerbill

Post by bikerbill »

The gun shop I frequent doesn't restrict CHL holders from carrying inside ... instead, they have a sign as you enter that says keep hands out of your pockets and in sight at all times ... both the guys behind the counter are armed and appear to know what they're doing ...
"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." Robert Heinlein

"The difference between a welfare state and a totalitarian state is a matter of time." Ayn Rand

Topic author
Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Sounds like Merle is probably kept in business by a handful of old cronies much like himself...and the unsuspecting and unwary, perhaps. Not that I get to Granbury much, but I will certainly avoid that place if I do.

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

bikerbill wrote:The gun shop I frequent doesn't restrict CHL holders from carrying inside ... instead, they have a sign as you enter that says keep hands out of your pockets and in sight at all times ... both the guys behind the counter are armed and appear to know what they're doing ...
All About Guns in Lewisville is run by a retired LEO. I have bought leather and accessories including a SS guide rod for my G23.

I have had occasion to need to withdraw my handgun and clear it, with his permission. He's watchful but accomodating and had no problem with me reloading before I left. This may be case by case and YMMV but I will do business with him even if it can be had cheaper elsewhere. He is competitve on that note.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Yep; ol' Murle is legend. Just ask Crossfire.

Nobody has ever figured out how he stays in business, but there he is...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 11

Post by wgoforth »

Skiprr wrote:Yep; ol' Murle is legend. Just ask Crossfire.

Legend in his own mind? ;-)
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

wgoforth wrote:

Legend in his own mind? ;-)
Nope. Mr. Blasingame is truly legendary among the gun community in his area. But not in a good way...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Dragonfighter wrote:
I have had occasion to need to withdraw my handgun and clear it, with his permission.
I've often wondered about that. Is it legal to in-conceal in a place where the person in charge has approved it? Please note I'm talking about specific isolated instances (such as the limited exposure that is possible in a private LGS), as opposed to "the Walmart manager said I could do it at the register" (which I'd never consider to be appropriate!).
Last edited by Vol Texan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Vol Texan wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:
I have had occasion to need to withdraw my handgun and clear it, with his permission.
I've often wondered about that. Is it legal to in-conceal in a place where the person in charge has approved it? Please note I'm talking about specific isolates instances (such as the limited exposure that is possible in a private LGS), as opposed to "the Walmart manager said I could do it at the register (which I'd never consider to be appropriate!).
Technically, it is not even legal for you to un-conceal in your friends house with his permission. But in either case, somebody would have to make a complaint to the police for any action to be taken. I suppose in the case of the gun store, a LEO might be present without your knowledge. But I believe it would be unlikely a LEO would take any action if you had the owners permission Just be aware there is no exception in the law to cover these exposures.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Money laundering?

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:
I've often wondered about that. Is it legal to in-conceal in a place where the person in charge has approved it? Please note I'm talking about specific isolates instances (such as the limited exposure that is possible in a private LGS), as opposed to "the Walmart manager said I could do it at the register (which I'd never consider to be appropriate!).
Technically, it is not even legal for you to un-conceal in your friends house with his permission. But in either case, somebody would have to make a complaint to the police for any action to be taken. I suppose in the case of the gun store, a LEO might be present without your knowledge. But I believe it would be unlikely a LEO would take any action if you had the owners permission Just be aware there is no exception in the law to cover these exposures.
True enough but I've always counted on a common sense factor to override the legal liability. Which brings up a point, how is one supposed to expose his/her firearm for repair, fittings, etc? We have discussed back and forth about the legality of employing a CHL at a shooting range and defense to prosecution exists for carry to and from stores and or repair shops. I believe the consensus was that the defense to prosecution of using the weapon in a sporting event where such weapons are commonly used would apply at the range, what about to and from stores/gunsmiths?

Perhaps this needs to be added to the laundry list of legislative corrections needed. Of course OC would allow such by default.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

You could always bring the gun in unloaded, in a gun case or other container, and give the case to the gunsmith to open. You then haven't un-concealed anything. But, yeah, common sense "should" prevail.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

mikedude wrote:I found it ironic moving to TX and seeing gun stores with signs saying no concealed carry inside. In liberal California the gun stores I frequented had signs saying LEO's and CHL(ccw there) holders could carry inside.
There are so few of us we could all be in ONE gun store and nobody would notice. :biggrinjester:

Seriously, there are fewer than 2000 in San Diego County, and not that many in some counties, like SF and LA.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”