Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners

Post by VMI77 »

Even the Brady Bunch says it's a bad move: http://home.suddenlink.net/video/play/8 ... els/cnn/us
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

Well thank God Texas does not make CHL info public. The newspaper has created more of a monster. Their reasoning was the public has a right to know who owns guns. Pardon me, but as a gun owner, especially one like most of us on this forum, owners of several guns, I do not appreciate the paper telling every thief in town where the guns are.
Well I am thankful I have video cameras, alarms, pressure plates and a few surprises in case someone breaks in... the suspect will be easy to spot, he will be the guy(s) running out crying and red pepper spray all over his face.
This was totally irresponsible on the part of the paper.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

A gun (my guns) is not public property. They do not have the right to publish my personal information without my consent. They claimed that they only printed the gun licensed people. They printed this knowing they it would cause alarm among the people and possible discention.

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

http://christopherfountain.wordpress.co ... -petition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you know that swimming pools are 500 times more deadly than guns to children. He suggests posting an interactive map of swimming pool owners so parents will know where there are swimming pools.

Or posting an interactive list of Honda Accord owners so car thieves will not have to search around for them to steal.

Good reading.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

SSAllen63 wrote:Someone should publish a list of New York Newspaper reporters who don't own guns along with a list of jewelry bought in the last 10 years. Or maybe there is an insurance list of all their valuables? We can start a whole website!
Also on that web published list should be the names and home addresses of the lawmakers and judges who said it's legal to release that information about private citizens. As public servants they have no moral or constitutional grounds to keep their home addresses confidential while invading the privacy of private citizens. Let's see a list of valuables owned and home addresses for the NY legislature, Cuomo, Bloomberg, NY and Federal judges living or working in NY, etc. Let them richly reap what they sow. That is true justice.

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Hopefully this will have the unintended effect of states enacting laws to keep gun owner's information confidential and out of the hands of those who do not have a legal need to know.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

A blogger has taken a "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" approach to the newsaper's action. Read the details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

Maybe these gun owners should all buy this sign and post it in their yard! When life gives you lemons...make lemonade

“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Oh, the irony! Gannett's Journal News hires armed guards.

http://www.newser.com/story/160267/arme ... n-map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

Did a quick search and didn't find this previously posted. Thought it fit well here:

"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Here is the publisher's info. Phone number has been disconnected since this was first published.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

MrcolionNoirs response: great!
[youtube][/youtube]
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Fangs wrote:Did a quick search and didn't find this previously posted. Thought it fit well here:

[ Image ]
.....and the dots are several layers thick.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 8-18-48-16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taken down, afraid after two robberies at homes on map, may be sued.

Dooh.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

What a crappy NY law! The first news reports simply said NY had passed legislation protecting gun owners privacy rights.

Now, a decent law, like Texas law :txflag: , simply protects the privacy right of all CHL's by default!

Not New York! There, gun owners needs to have an "acceptable reason" to request privacy and they have to "opt in" to protect their privacy. Want to bet that NY will not be very aggressive about notifying gun owners of their option, nor will they make it easy and simple?

From the story linked in the previous post:
On Tuesday, as part of a gun control bill, the state Legislature passed and Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed new regulations that give permit holders several ways to opt out of the public record.

Applicants can ask to be exempted because they are police officers or served on criminal-case juries or are victims of domestic violence. They also can just say they might be subjected to harassment.
By the way, the "subjected to harassment" route is entirely consistent with the thinking in "may issue" states, and that is an entirely slippery slope of its own because the phrase now becomes subject to interpretation by hostile bureaucrats. For example, in Maryland, a "shall issue" permit is supposed to be available to someone who faces risks where they may need to defend themselves. You or I may interpret that as a small business owner that has to carry cash bank deposits. But the Maryland State Police has interpreted the clause to mean someone has verified and documented threats made against them. Documented as in police reports.

I'll be willing to bet that it won't take long before NY bureaucracy is asking gun owners to document why they would be "subject to harassment" and some bureaucrat will decide whether there request is accepted or not. The government bureaucrats will entirely subvert the intent of the legislation.

Edited to correct: "may issue" versus "shall issue".
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Off-Topic”