Response From DPS Regarding Policies When Encountering CHLer

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Response From DPS Regarding Policies When Encountering C

Post by longtooth »

AEA wrote:
longtooth wrote:Welcome tothe forum Texas Sheepdog. With 4 post you have definately made a 1st impression.
With me too.
Do you mind sharing your location & agency of your avitar?
At least the County of your jurisdiction.???
Texas Sheepdog.......did you miss this request above?
He probably just missed it for a week. He has answered far more important posts yesterday.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jimlongley »

Texas Sheepdog wrote:Our policy says to disarm everyone. If the gun comes back clean and we can verify their credentials, they get the gun back unloaded, and they can reload after they leave the scene. If there's any questions, we can hold onto the gun until we sort things out. Sometimes we hold onto the suspect too, depending on the contact. LOL
So your policy stands in direct violation of the law?

The law says that an officer may disarm a CHL holder if that officer reasonably believes it is necessary for safety, that puts the onus on the officer, not department policy.

Sounds like it's time for an Attorney General decision to stop the rampant abuse of the law by departments using "policy" instead of the reasonable belief of the officer on the scene.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

jimlongley wrote:
Texas Sheepdog wrote:Our policy says to disarm everyone. If the gun comes back clean and we can verify their credentials, they get the gun back unloaded, and they can reload after they leave the scene. If there's any questions, we can hold onto the gun until we sort things out. Sometimes we hold onto the suspect too, depending on the contact. LOL
So your policy stands in direct violation of the law?

The law says that an officer may disarm a CHL holder if that officer reasonably believes it is necessary for safety, that puts the onus on the officer, not department policy.

Sounds like it's time for an Attorney General decision to stop the rampant abuse of the law by departments using "policy" instead of the reasonable belief of the officer on the scene.
It's not real safe IMO to be loading and unloading a gun on a city street (if that's where he works).

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

jimlongley wrote:
That really sounds like disrespect for people with a CHL to me.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

MeMelYup wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
More like intimidation and bullying to me.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

mojo84 wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
More like intimidation and bullying to me.
I personally do not believe every CHL holder needs to be disarmed. In addition I would be curious to read their policy if it existed.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

$1 to a donut this is his personal policy. If this was his department's policy, there would be no problem sharing the PD's name / location so CHLers would know, and avoid, such an area. I'm guessing we won't ever hear which PD it is...

Unless the mods want to pull his / her IP address and do a reverse lookup on it. :cool:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

pbwalker wrote:$1 to a donut this is his personal policy. If this was his department's policy, there would be no problem sharing the PD's name / location so CHLers would know, and avoid, such an area. I'm guessing we won't ever hear which PD it is...

Unless the mods want to pull his / her IP address and do a reverse lookup on it. :cool:
If he is a leo he may fall under the social media policies. Many agencies now have social media policies that actually prohibit one from saying where they work while visiting social websites online. With that you have to remain anonymous. But then if that is a real photo on the avatar in uniform showing a company car I would guess they don't have that policy.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

I'm thinking the word "imposter"...

jmra

Post by jmra »

texanjoker wrote:
pbwalker wrote:$1 to a donut this is his personal policy. If this was his department's policy, there would be no problem sharing the PD's name / location so CHLers would know, and avoid, such an area. I'm guessing we won't ever hear which PD it is...

If he is a leo he may fall under the social media policies. Many agencies now have social media policies that actually prohibit one from saying where they work while visiting social websites online. With that you have to remain anonymous. But then if that is a real photo on the avatar in uniform showing a company car I would guess they don't have that policy.
The social media policy is a smart move on the part of PDs, especially if they are advising their officers to participate in illegal activities such as disarming a CHL even when there is no perceived threat.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

longtooth wrote:
He probably just missed it for a week. He has answered far more important posts yesterday.
Still no response LT??

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

I think TS has been unmasked - but, he had us going for awhile...

My guess: he'll reappear under another name.

Maybe then, I won't be as gullible...

AEA
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AEA »

Abraham wrote:I'm thinking the word "imposter"...
That's probably a accurate thought.

Or.......he could be in the Hospital recovering from disarming a CHL and shooting himself in the leg while trying to run the numbers.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

AEA wrote:
Abraham wrote:I'm thinking the word "imposter"...
That's probably a accurate thought.

Or.......he could be in the Hospital recovering from disarming a CHL and shooting himself in the leg while trying to run the numbers.

Good one..

:thewave

Nice puppy in your profile. I have two GS myself.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

anygunanywhere wrote:
longtooth wrote:
Still no response LT??

Anygunanywhere
Nope & my comment about more important posts was sarcasim. That is about as close to a joke as I ever tell on acount I kant tellem.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”