Utah nonresident ccw

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Epogen
Posts in topic: 4

Utah nonresident ccw

Post by Epogen »

Is a Utah nonresident ccw valid for concealed carry in Texas if I am a new Texas resident?

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Utah nonresident ccw

Post by Mike1951 »

Only if you already have the Texas CHL.

That is the recent Utah criteria for issuing.

ETA: If you already have the Utah ccw and move to Texas, it would be honored.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

infoman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by infoman »

Once you move to Texas you're Utah permit is no longer valid unless you also have a Texas CHL Permit.

Topic author
Epogen

Post by Epogen »

I'm moving from CA and the Utah permit I have is a nonresident Utah permit

Topic author
Epogen

Post by Epogen »

Mike says yes . Info man says no...I'm confused

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Mike1951 wrote:Only if you already have the Texas CHL.

That is the recent Utah criteria for issuing.

ETA: If you already have the Utah ccw and move to Texas, it would be honored.
This is the way I understand the law to work as well. i believe the other part of this is that when you go to renew your Utah non resident, they will require you have a Texas resident CHL for renewal.

A Utah non resident permit is valid to carry concealed in Texas. Regardless of whether you have a Texas CHL or not.

One more little tidbit that may be a problem. If Utah requires you update your residence with them to maintain your Utah permit, I wonder if they might invalidate your permit based on the new rules?

Page a poster named crossfire.... They teach the Utah coarse and are the experts on this. It might be trickier than I am thinking. ... Or not. :mrgreen:
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

infoman wrote:Once you move to Texas you're Utah permit is no longer valid unless you also have a Texas CHL Permit.
i think we're going to need our Utah instructors to weigh in on this.

We still have a valid reprocity agreement with Utah, so I fail to see why an existing Utah ccw would not be honored.

It was Utah's decision not to renew or issue non-resident licenses without a valid Texas CHL.

I think an existing license would be valid until expiration.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Here is what Utah says:
This new law becomes effective for first time non resident applicants May 10, 2011 and for renewal of non resident permits 1/1/2012. Those requirements are:
53-5-704.
(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit
under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the
Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:

(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate
permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and
(ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current
I have a Utah permit. As a resident of California, which does NOT recognize Utah's, I can have a non-resident permit but when I move to Texas, I have to get a Texas permit in order to renew the Utah one. I am hoping that will be soon.

Florida accepts permits from residents of the states they honor. They will not honor a Non-Resident permit from any state they honor. So, my Utah permit, being a non-resident permit, is no good in Florida, but my Florida permit is. I no longer have a CA permit (it expired and since I am moving to Texas, I did not renew) but my Texas resident permit will be when I get it.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Epogen wrote:Mike says yes . Info man says no...I'm confused
It used to be that the answer was an unqualified "Yes." But last year, Utah passed a new law that they will not issue a non-resident permit to someone unless that person has a valid permit from their state of residence. What that means is that if you apply NOW for a non-resident Utah CFP, they will not give you one unless you already have a CHL. However, If you moved here with a valid Utah non-resident CFP, then it might still be valid. But once it expires, you will not be able to renew it until you have a valid resident CHL.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

infoman wrote:Once you move to Texas you're Utah permit is no longer valid unless you also have a Texas CHL Permit.
Where do you get this? It is so not accurate. If you don't know the answer, please don't give incorrect information.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: This is the way I understand the law to work as well. i believe the other part of this is that when you go to renew your Utah non resident, they will require you have a Texas resident CHL for renewal.

A Utah non resident permit is valid to carry concealed in Texas. Regardless of whether you have a Texas CHL or not.

. . . .

Page a poster named crossfire.... They teach the Utah coarse and are the experts on this. It might be trickier than I am thinking. ... Or not. :mrgreen:
:iagree: This is the way I understand it.

03Lightningrocks wrote: One more little tidbit that may be a problem. If Utah requires you update your residence with them to maintain your Utah permit, I wonder if they might invalidate your permit based on the new rules?
I believe here that Utah would just do a change of address as Texas does for a small fee. Don't know that for sure though.

One of the Utah instructors will surely be along to answer this for sure.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Epogen wrote:Mike says yes . Info man says no...I'm confused
It used to be that the answer was an unqualified "Yes." But last year, Utah passed a new law that they will not issue a non-resident permit to someone unless that person has a valid permit from their state of residence. What that means is that if you apply NOW for a non-resident Utah CFP, they will not give you one unless you already have a CHL. However, If you moved here with a valid Utah non-resident CFP, then it might still be valid. But once it expires, you will not be able to renew it until you have a valid resident CHL.
This is the correct answer. Your Utah non-resident permit is honored in Texas. But, when it expires, Utah will not renew it unless you also have a Texas CHL.

You do want to update the address on the permit. You can do that by email. Info here: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFAddChg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It doesn't cost anything to update your address, unless you want a new card, then I think they want $15 for that.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
One more little tidbit that may be a problem. If Utah requires you update your residence with them to maintain your Utah permit, I wonder if they might invalidate your permit based on the new rules?
When I moved to Texas, I updated my address for my Utah non-resident license without giving them any Texas CHL information. It was a simple address change to an existing license.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Epogen

Post by Epogen »

Thanks Everyone. Happy New Year!

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Jumping Frog wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
When I moved to Texas, I updated my address for my Utah non-resident license without giving them any Texas CHL information. It was a simple address change to an existing license.
That's what I think should happen but when you renew, you'll have to have a TCHL or move!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”