Constable ND?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Constable ND?

Post by Ericstac »

Reminds me of this cops ND...

[youtube][/youtube]

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

texanjoker wrote:Being suspended right off the bat is pretty serious. I don't like the term accidental discharge, but that sounds like one meaning it was not intentional. I wonder if he had qualified with the weapon yet? I have never heard of any department allowing one to carry a gun they had not qualified on and most would have their armorer inspect it prior to carry as well. If he was carrying w/o that being done, he is in a serious heap of trouble.
No, I object to using the term "accidental" to describe all discharges that are not intended.

If someone is manipulating a firearm and it improperly discharges (finger off the trigger until sights on target, know your target and beyond), that is negligent.

An accidental discharge is due to a mechanical failure of the firearm. An unintended discharge when the finger is on the trigger is always negligent.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Jumping Frog wrote:
texanjoker wrote:Being suspended right off the bat is pretty serious. I don't like the term accidental discharge, but that sounds like one meaning it was not intentional. I wonder if he had qualified with the weapon yet? I have never heard of any department allowing one to carry a gun they had not qualified on and most would have their armorer inspect it prior to carry as well. If he was carrying w/o that being done, he is in a serious heap of trouble.
No, I object to using the term "accidental" to describe all discharges that are not intended.

If someone is manipulating a firearm and it improperly discharges (finger off the trigger until sights on target, know your target and beyond), that is negligent.

An accidental discharge is due to a mechanical failure of the firearm. An unintended discharge when the finger is on the trigger is always negligent.
Agreed and I don't like the term. I am waiting to see if this guy had qualified with that weapon since they said it was new. A LEO must qualify with each weapon carried and show proficiency, initially and yearly after that. IMO yearly is not enough, let alone every 5 years for a CHL, but that is what TX requires and is the minimum standard. One really needs to practice and be proficient. As I always say, "If you knew you were going to fight for your life tomorrow, would you change the way you trained today?" For the LEO it is basically a 50 round course of fire. We just did our qual and it was up to 20 yards. We all know there are going to be LEO's and CHL holders alike that won't fire that gun (or even clean it) expect for the qualification and IMO that is not enough time at the range. In liberal CA we qualified every 3 months with handgun, rifle and shotgun, and had an allotment of 50 handgun rounds per month to practice. Not a large amount, but at least you could get some range time. Any department with common sense also has those barrels to safely unload a weapon in case there is a discharge (took out term accidental). With him being suspended right off that bat, I would bet there is more to this story then released because discharges do happen, and not everybody is suspended. Back in the day it was the 870's being put back into the racks in the car. People would forget to unload them and BAM went the roof top :smash:

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike1951 »

texanjoker wrote:A LEO must qualify with each weapon carried and show proficiency, initially and yearly after that.
Is this TCLEOSE or department policy?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Mike1951 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:A LEO must qualify with each weapon carried and show proficiency, initially and yearly after that.
TCLEOSE requires the proficiency at an annual renewal, and they must show how the proper care and inspection of that weapon, but there are no requirements from TCLEOSE that they cannot carry a different weapon than they qualified with. That sounds more like a individual department policy.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Keith B wrote:
Mike1951 wrote:
TCLEOSE requires the proficiency at an annual renewal, and they must show how the proper care and inspection of that weapon, but there are no requirements from TCLEOSE that they cannot carry a different weapon than they qualified with. That sounds more like a individual department policy.

That is true. I don't know of agencies that allow carry of a non qualified gun but there may be some out there. It is all about liability for the agency. We are required to qual and have the gun inspected with any duty gun or off duty gun before we can carry it per policy. Perfect example I cannot carry the glock 17 I purchased today, even off duty, per dept policy until I go qual with it. Legally I could carry it as a LEO and again as a CHL holder. Also in an emergency I could use it.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike1951 »

I no longer have first hand knowledge, but I would guess that larger agencies tend to have a strict policy.

Also guessing that there are probably scores of departments that once qualified, allow the carry of other firearms without requalifying with them.

My time was even before the annual qualifications.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

priusron

Post by priusron »

In the video it appears that he cleared his weapon then inserted the mag. He then released the slide which chambered a round. Operator error.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Here are two frames from the "Glock 40" video above. The top frame is a split second before he shoots his foot, and as you can see the firearm is clearly pointed away from his body towards his left. The second frame below is a wide angle view of the room, and as you can see, to his left are several people. Wonder if they know how lucky they are to be alive after this "professional" swept them with a loaded "Glock 40" and his finger in the trigger. :shock:

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

That DEA guy is an embarrassment to all law enforcement, but then he is a "federal agent" and says he knows what he is doing :thumbs2: .

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”