Green Card holder with a CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Zoti
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Green Card holder with a CHL

Post by Zoti »

The 4437 form asks if you are a US citizen. If you are not, they require proof of the status you have. I brought my GC when I purchased several firearms at a local store. At least they don't ask for copies of your last 3 months of bills when you have a CHL anymore.

Ziran

Post by Ziran »

apostate wrote:Permanent Residence status doesn't expire. At least it didn't for my family members who had green cards.

DPS does however do the special DL for temporary visitors with H1B and student visas, from what I have seen.
The "green" card itself does have an expiration date (much like DL). It is just a matter of renewing and getting another piece of plastic. If I remember correctly it is valid for 10 years.

There is also something in the law where you have to be a resident for x months at a location before you buy guns if you have green card but are not citizen but I don't remember the details.

mikey1969

Post by mikey1969 »

fortworthdude wrote:I need to get a knowledgeable response to this precise situation and question.

Situation 1st, question 2nd.

Situation: I was at the gun show this weekend. I found a gun that I would have liked to purchase. I am a Texas CHL and a Green Card Holder. I had my CHL with me, my drivers license with me, my Green Card number with me but not the actual card and of course cash. At the point of sale the dealer said that the number was not enough he needed to actually see the card.

Question: Based on the situation mentioned did the dealer make an error or was his position correct?
I believe their position to be correct ......... although your number would be registered they still need a "copy" for their files . Its like the non immigrant alien requirement where hunting licence and I-94 numbers are recorded and also copied to remain on file , even with valid CHL (which is my case) . next time just make sure you have it with you and all will be golden ... :patriot:

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

I am a relatively new Permanent Resident who moved here from Canada in 2010. While I was waiting for PR status, I was only able to have a Limited Term Texas Driver's License which expired on the same day as my I-94 Work Document. Once I got my Permanent Resident card (expires in 2022) in November of 2012, I went and updated my DL to regular status. The day after my DL arrived in the mail I went and bought my first handgun in over 30 years (Ruger SR22) and on December 22nd I bought my 2nd one (Ruger SR9C). I'm off to the range again in the morning and I take my CHL course in a couple of weeks on the 19th. Happy to be living here in Texas and looking forward to my CHL course.

:hurry: :hurry: :hurry:
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

misterlarry wrote:I am a relatively new Permanent Resident who moved here from Canada in 2010.
Welcome to the forums.

What part of Canada are you from, eh?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

misterlarry wrote:I am a relatively new Permanent Resident who moved here from Canada in 2010. While I was waiting for PR status, I was only able to have a Limited Term Texas Driver's License which expired on the same day as my I-94 Work Document. Once I got my Permanent Resident card (expires in 2022) in November of 2012, I went and updated my DL to regular status. The day after my DL arrived in the mail I went and bought my first handgun in over 30 years (Ruger SR22) and on December 22nd I bought my 2nd one (Ruger SR9C). I'm off to the range again in the morning and I take my CHL course in a couple of weeks on the 19th. Happy to be living here in Texas and looking forward to my CHL course.

:hurry: :hurry: :hurry:

Let me say, Welcome Canuck from another Canuck who is enjoying the freedom to own firearms and exercise his right to protect himself, his family and property.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Let me say, Welcome Canuck from another Canuck who is enjoying the freedom to own firearms and exercise his right to protect himself, his family and property.
Same from me :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

My understanding this that a green card holder must have it with them at all times, another law that is often honored more in the breach. My best buddy is a Kiwi; he's been caught without a few times, thankfully by understanding, or lenient, cops.

Many years ago, we drove down into Baja to do a triathlon. On the drive back, he suddenly realized he had left his green card and passport on the dresser at home. Back in those days, when crossing the border, if they asked anything, they would ask where you were born. For 70 miles, he practiced saying, "Howdy partner, Ahhh'm from Houston" like I said it. When we got to the border, they just waived us through, didn't even roll down the window. It's a real good thing. He couldn't have fooled Helen Keller with that goofy Kiwi accent.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”