Dallas Gun Buy Back

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
txjim42
Posts in topic: 3

Dallas Gun Buy Back

Post by txjim42 »

Would it be wrong to setup a kool-aid stand and offer a better price than the buy-back for cherry-picked turn-ins?

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dallas ... 08941.html
The First Presbyterian Church of Dallas' gun buyback will take place at The Stewpot Garage on Young Street in Dallas on Jan. 19. Doors open at 10 a.m., with the church offering $50 for handguns and rifles, and up to $200 for semi-automatic weapons.
http://www.thestewpot.org/buyback.asp
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace.
Thomas Paine

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dallas Gun Buy Back

Post by Dave2 »

No, though you might want to consider the ramifications of buying a gun that's stolen or was used in an unsolved crime.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
txjim42

Post by txjim42 »

Good point.... /sigh.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace.
Thomas Paine

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cbunt1 »

Thinking I just may be in for it myself...at least see what comes in and make a point...
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

txjim42 wrote:Good point.... /sigh.
Of course, you could easily just pass on anyone who's acting funny. If you can sneak pictures of whoever is selling you the guns, then take them to the cops for checking out, you might even help them solve something.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
txjim42

Post by txjim42 »

Don't know the neighborhood... What are the odds of at least one little old lady dragging something out of an old trunk hidden in a closet to turn in... 1911? Browning Hipower? Black-powder family heirloom?
Thomas Paine

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

So I guess you get up to $200.00 for a $2,000.00 DD AR-15. Let me think about it. :headscratch

Well I decided NO NO NO! :nono:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I see no problem buying long guns.

How do you purchase a handgun without "intentional failure to conceal" with an arbitrary third party handing it to you?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Jumping Frog wrote:I see no problem buying long guns.

How do you purchase a handgun without "intentional failure to conceal" with an arbitrary third party handing it to you?
Being serious here and not sarcastic...how do people do private sales of handguns at a gunshow (only because its an obvious example) without it being an "intentional failure to conceal"? Wouldn't it work the same way?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Heartland Patriot wrote:

Being serious here and not sarcastic...how do people do private sales of handguns at a gunshow (only because its an obvious example) without it being an "intentional failure to conceal"? Wouldn't it work the same way?
You don't generally have an irritated cop at a gunshow looking for "what crime can I charge this guy with".

However, crash the party at a gun buyback in a liberal city, and the LEO attitude can easily change.

Don't forget the second part of the law enforcement decision process: "does this guy need arrestin'?"
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote:

You don't generally have an irritated cop at a gunshow looking for "what crime can I charge this guy with".

However, crash the party at a gun buyback in a liberal city, and the LEO attitude can easily change.

Don't forget the second part of the law enforcement decision process: "does this guy need arrestin'?"
While I fully understand where you are going with it, I'm still curious how they would charge you. Not saying you wouldn't end up "taking a ride", but I'm talking about what part of the Penal Code they would charge you under...and make it stick. Every gunshow I've been to had LEOs there, out front at minimum. And doesn't Dallas have one of the biggest gun shows there is, at the Market Hall? Yeah, I'm sure you'd get "rousted" for making them look dumb, but if you scored that $20K antique firearm off of the proverbial old lady, maybe it would be worth it... :mrgreen:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Heartland Patriot wrote:While I fully understand where you are going with it, I'm still curious how they would charge you. Not saying you wouldn't end up "taking a ride", but I'm talking about what part of the Penal Code they would charge you under...and make it stick.
If the person is licensed:
Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
If the person is not licensed:
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club...

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

They'll probably sell the good guns to the church members as a fund raiser.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

mojo84 wrote:They'll probably sell the good guns to the church members as a fund raiser.
That church normally didn't need fund raisers. Some of their membership are/were the "Who's who" of Dallas but I haven't been there in many years to know if this still hold true.

Used to know a member of that church that had multiple full auto subs (properly registered and taxed), plus AR15s, Browning HPs, some 45 autos, Ithaca Mod 37 Riot 12 gauges, and many others. I doubt he'll turn them over..... His wife might if she gets a chance though..lol :roll:
N5PNZ

jotus

Post by jotus »

I have contacted a real estate developer for the lot next door. He is drawing up a day lease for the property for a pro gun rally. That makes it private property under our control. The visible gun becomes a moot point. The lease is 300. If anyone wants in, message me.

Return to “Off-Topic”