Texas/Florida CHL permit numbers...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
68blackbird
Posts in topic: 3

Texas/Florida CHL permit numbers...

Post by 68blackbird »

..if this info is correct, Florida has almost twice as many CC permits than Texas. I find that figure very surprising...is it just me? The information is pretty recent as it mentions Illinios just over turned CC ban. Kelly

Florida – 985,143 - Texas – 524,000

Info taken from here - http://www.inquisitr.com/444177/conceal ... te-report/
"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

DEB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas/Florida CHL permit numbers...

Post by DEB »

68blackbird wrote:..if this info is correct, Florida has almost twice as many CC permits than Texas. I find that figure very surprising...is it just me? The information is pretty recent as it mentions Illinios just over turned CC ban. Kelly

Info taken from here - http://www.inquisitr.com/444177/conceal ... te-report/
Its embarrassing...
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Florida passed CC six years before Texas did. We'll catch up.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Standards for CHL, in addition, to the cost are higher in TX than FL, is it true? :shock: :shock:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:Standards for CHL, in addition, to the cost are higher in TX than FL, is it true? :shock: :shock:
The cost in Texas is higher. I believe that "standards" are the same, but the demographics are different. Besides, I don't believe it's a contest.
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

My understanding is that Florida licenses drove Louisiana to ban out-of-state permits for its residents. All the revenue generated from the licensing process was going out of state, as residents where seeking cheaper, faster permits from Florida. The disparity in requirements and cost probably account for a large portion of the statistical difference.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

68blackbird wrote:..if this info is correct, Florida has almost twice as many CC permits than Texas. I find that figure very surprising...is it just me? The information is pretty recent as it mentions Illinios just over turned CC ban. Kelly
It's capitalism. They have better prices and easier hoops to jump through to exercise your "right" to carry.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Topic author
68blackbird
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 68blackbird »

Florida passed CC six years before Texas did. We'll catch up.
Ah, that makes sense. :thumbs2:
"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

Would be interesting to see how many of those licenses are issued to out of state people.

I know some people who live in Texas who have Florida permits and do not have a TX license.
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

baldeagle wrote:Florida passed CC six years before Texas did. We'll catch up.
No, I don't think so. Consider FL is the most well-known state for non-resident licenses.

IMO, people looking to get a non-resident license tend to choose FL because you do not need to take the training within the state of Florida to get a FL license. Anyone can take their own state's Hunter Education Training, or a simple NRA Basic Pistol Course(to illustrate just two examples of acceptable training), and get a FL license. For a non-resident to get a Texas license, they must travel to within Texas state boundaries and attend the Texas-specific training.

I am not saying Texas' approach is wrong. just that one consequence will be people from many states choosing to get a non-resident license from FL instead of TX.

Edited: typo.
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Another thought, about the non-res licenses
for me, I have my TX CHL, and cannot carry in OH.
I have contemplated getting my FL CHL to be able to carry in OH

So FL has FL residents, as well as non-res's who want to carry in more states, as well as our own Great state
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

LittleGun

Post by LittleGun »

I have a Florida CHL permit.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I think Texas CHLs will number close to 700,000 when the 2012 numbers are out. As others have said, Florida's law CHL statute was passed 8 years before Texas (1987 v. 1995), plus Florida is very popular for out-of-state licensees because you don't have to take a course to get the license. Virtually any proof of having had handgun training or experience is sufficient.

Chas.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Jumping Frog wrote: IMO, people looking to get a non-resident license tend to choose FL because you do not need to take the training within the state of Florida to get a FL license. Anyone can take their own state's Hunter Education Training, or a simple NRA Basic Pistol Course(two choose two examples of acceptable training), and get a FL license. For a non-resident to get a Texas license, they must travel to within Texas state boundaries and attend the Texas-specific training.
That is all that is keeping me from having a Texas license right now. I haven't been able to take a course in Texas. I've already paid the fee, which is cheap because I am an old veteran.

I have Florida and Utah licenses, since nobody recognizes CA licenses, and mine has expired anyway. The training that qualified me for Utah was accepted by Florida, and it is merely a matter of doing the paperwork, getting the prints and photos and stuff to them. It was a piece of cake compared to California!

It is probably a good idea to have some training in Texas carry law. Those signs, red, blue, close but no cigar, can be tricky. Use of force principles are pretty much universal everywhere, with some notable variations. I don't resent it that Texas wants me to take a class. I have been a law-abiding citizen for more than 65 years and want to stay that way, at least while my mom is still alive!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Glock_Tacular

Post by Glock_Tacular »

Ya and they say Obama won Florida. :headscratch
CHL - May 2012
P.P.O - May 2012
[Pre-paid legal service]

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”