Tenn. union against teachers carrying guns

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

Updated 12:50 pm, Sunday, January 6, 2013 '
beaumont enterprise
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/ ... 171023.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The head of the state's largest teachers' union said she expects her board to take an official position against proposals that would allow teachers to carry guns.
Several Tennessee lawmakers have drafted legislation that would encourage school districts to place at least one armed police officer in every school and would allow teachers who have undergone special training to bring their personal handguns into schools.

However, Tennessee Education Association president Gera Summerford said a "teacher's job is to nurture and teach," not to stop an intruder.

"Their main concern is to keep children safe and do what is best for the children, and that is different from being on the front line as a guard," she said.
more at link above
Last edited by RPB on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Moby
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tenn. union against teachers carrying guns

Post by Moby »

Of course they are. Remember, their the fools that think gun free zones are safe.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

How is this even a surprise or news? I would have naturally assumed there were against it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

RPB wrote:However, Tennessee Education Association president Gera Summerford said a "teacher's job is to nurture and teach," not to stop an intruder.

"Their main concern is to keep children safe and do what is best for the children, and that is different from being on the front line as a guard," she said.
How'd that work out for them in Newtown, CT bozo?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I'm against guns on campus, but if there is one, (and there's nothing stopping them) it should be in the hands of someone who isn't obeying the law ?

Irrational thinking people incapable of logical thought, should not be educating children.
I'm no lawyer

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:How is this even a surprise or news? I would have naturally assumed there were against it.
:iagree: The only unions that I know of that support carrying guns by their members are the police unions. :shock:
NRA Endowment Member

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

I don't understand these people, they don't want guns on campus but don't offer a good option. :headscratch

Even if all the guns were taken away (which I'm fully against) what stops a BG from doing the same thing??

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

The problem a lot of teachers have with being armed is this attitude:
"My suggestion is to allow more teachers to obtain conceal carry permits and (change the laws) to allow those to carry (a weapon) on school grounds," Mayor Ed Hagerty said. "Then you don't need an armed officer at every school."
We're not supposed to be the main security force for a school, Mr. Mayor. An armed teacher is the "last resort" in an individual room, overseeing a reasonable (classroom) number of students, not the whole student body, and I'm certainly not going to leave my students alone so I can start acting like a SWAT officer engaging an active shooter in another part of the school building.

If you want more secure schools, then:
(a) add armed police or armed private security at each entrance and
(b) design the entryways so that they can prevent a bad-guy shooter from getting into the school in the first place!
Last edited by n5wd on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

A large part of the problem is that Liberals/ anti-gun people do not understand the concept of "self --- defense" but think if you have a weapon you are automatically a "Security Task Force" .... Batman ... Police ... Protector of everyone... responsible for guarding the metal detector/front gate
I'm no lawyer

psijac

Post by psijac »

teachers Unions are as much about teacher as Game of Thrones is about feudal economics.
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Return to “Off-Topic”