Anyone using [Pre-paid legal service]?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pipeliner
Posts in topic: 1

Anyone using [Pre-paid legal service]?

Post by pipeliner »

My wife and i took our CHL course today and were offered this service. i thought it was a great service and signed right up for the if factor, because we are multi state indeed with my work. anyone here ever had to use it for any reason?

Matt

Rangel

Re: Anyone using [Pre-paid legal service]?

Post by Rangel »

wife and I signed up for it in december.. good to have peace of mind

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I see it as a scam.

I have my own attorney and carry a card in my wallet. This way I know the attorney is competent and they know me.

Personally I do not want a doctor who I have not met operating on me and do not want an attorney I do not know (have my best interest at heart) working for me.

I would rather save the money that has to be paid to [Pre-paid legal service] and bank it away for my personal attorney.

Just my opinion.

Moby

Post by Moby »

I have asked everywhere and searched high and low for anyone benefiting from a prepaid legal service like this one.
I cannot find any reviews, customer stories, or anyone that will back up this service.

I am sure there have been CHL uses in TX. If this company has been around so long, why are there no positive stories?

If anyone has any, or can direct the members here to some, please do. I seriously thought about using it. But after researching can find nothing. All any attorney will tell you to do after an incident is "say nothing". No matter how justified the shoot. My cop buddies disagree. They say if it's a clean shoot, such as the perp pulled a weapon and came after you, you fired and killed him. They say show them the attackers weapon and explain what happened. You'll most likely go home. Otherwise your definately going to jail until they can sort it out.

I personally think I'd give enough information to clear my shoot, then shut up.
But I'm no lawyer.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

rotor

Post by rotor »

I signed up for them when I completed my CHL course. Here is how I look at it, it's insurance. They cover criminal and civil cases if there is one. Do you have any idea how expensive it would be to hire an attorney to handle both? I would bet $50,000 potentially. Besides, this is what they do. They know the laws about CHL. I am not an attorney and this may be a big money making deal for the legal profession but as a member they have sent me some very important info on what to do and WHAT NOT TO DO if an incident occurs. Like all insurance though, you hope you never need it but.....

I especially want an attorney that is a CHL expert. Similarly, I don't want my dermatologist doing my heart surgery. Just my opinion and hope I never need them.

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ericstac »

I don't have them but I have used a prepaid legal service before in general. When I started my first company I was paying monthly for one, maybe 40.00 a month.. It included certain services I can't remember. I used them one time to go over a few hundred page contract, as well as, write a contract for me. The third time I needed them they referred me to a local attorney that specialized in the field I was needing and I dropped them after that. Now I have a lawyer retained and ready for all my issues. Not the same lawyer they referred me too.

Was it worth it? Yes. What they did for me was well worth it, plus it was nice having them in my pocket when needed.

Would I use this chl service? No, I would prefer to have an attorney locally that "knows" the court personnel.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Do you want your life/future in the hands of a minimum wage lawyer?

Do you really think that these lawyers are sitting around studying the CHL laws? These guys are just part of the much larger prepayed lawyer pool. I would be willing to bet the lawyer that would be assigned to your case has never read the CHL regs.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I agree w/ Carlson1

:iagree:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I was debating on one as well. I choose not to this past week. I already pay for one insurance for LEO's, and am seeking out a blanket liability policy as well.

Having used deadly force, I can tell you that you will need an attorney. I am not an attorney. I personally would not provide anything other then a safety statement until my attorney was present. That would be a general statement saying if that was the only suspect, ect. That is not hiding anything, but making sure your rights are protected. Using deadly force is a criminal investigation, and if the suspect dies it is a homicide investigation.

You will also be sued. It is part of life. Just because you are sued, it doesn't mean they get anything. In fact I was going to file a counter lawsuit when they dropped their case knowing they didn't have one. Hence the reason for the blanket liability policy.

68blackbird

Post by 68blackbird »

I too was interested, almost signed up after CHL class, but did not, just didn't pass the smell test for me. I just sent them a email stating my concerns as well as many others, told them that for the most part, people look at this as a scam and have asked for some eveidence that they are who they are, will see what they say. Here is the terms of agrrement from [pre-paid legal] -

http://www.uslawshield.com/texas/terms-of-contract/
"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ericstac »

just curious, are the instructors pushing this prepaid service? If I remember correctly, the PPLS I had was purchased through a rep, who made a commission on the sign up.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

There are a bunch of pre-paid legal threads, including [Pre-paid legal service] and I'm closing this one. I fact, I'll probably close and delete all of them in the future. This isn't a slight against the original poster, but since I won't let any pre-paid legal program advertise or post on the Forum, we seem to get a question every several weeks that generates another thread.

With any pre-paid legal plan:
1. Read every single word of every document;
2. Make sure you understand what you are getting;
3. Make sure you understand what is not covered; i.e. what you will have to do without or pay for yourself;
4. Make sure you understand if the firm/attorney can withdraw from your representation and under what circumstances;
5. What expertise/experience do the attorneys have in defending against murder, assault, etc. charges;
6. If they claim to be CHL experts, ask for proof. (There are no such experts. The State Bar offers no such specialization and there are very few "CHL cases with which to develop expertise.)

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”