CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longhornfan
Posts in topic: 2

Question about an elementary school in my neighborhood

Post by longhornfan »

This is a hypothetical situation and I have not done what's described below:

I drive my child to his/her elementary school each morning, park on a public street, leave my EDC locked in a lock box in my vehicle, walk him/her into school, return to my vehicle and go about my day. Did I break a law, particularly the one about being within 1000 feet of a school? I've read and reread 46.03 and 46.035, but I guess I've studied it so hard I've confused myselft. Any help y'all have is appreciated.

recaffeination

Re: Question about an elementary school in my neighborhood

Post by recaffeination »

If you don't have a CHL then you are breaking the law because there is no exemption for MPA in the federal law. If you have a CHL, you are not breaking the law as described. You can even carry on campus as long as you don't go into buildings or attend a school sponsored event.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

recaffeination wrote:If you don't have a CHL then you are breaking the law because there is no exemption for MPA in the federal law. If you have a CHL, you are not breaking the law as described. You can even carry on campus as long as you don't go into buildings or attend a school sponsored event.
This. ^^
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
longhornfan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longhornfan »

I do have a CHL. Not sure why that was so hard for me to understand, but thank you for the responses.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

longhornfan wrote:I do have a CHL. Not sure why that was so hard for me to understand, but thank you for the responses.
As the school is in Texas, you must have a CHL issued by the State of Texas. An out of state CHL, reciprocity or not, does not cover you in the school zone under federal law as I read it. The CHL must be issued in the same state as the school location. I am not a lawyer.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

G26ster wrote:
longhornfan wrote:I do have a CHL. Not sure why that was so hard for me to understand, but thank you for the responses.
As the school is in Texas, you must have a CHL issued by the State of Texas. An out of state CHL, reciprocity or not, does not cover you in the school zone under federal law as I read it. The CHL must be issued in the same state as the school location. I am not a lawyer.
Correct. Furthermore you won't find these answers in the CHL-16, as it is federal law, not Texas.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”