Can you switch from resident to non-resident CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BaleKlocoon
Posts in topic: 1

Can you switch from resident to non-resident CHL?

Post by BaleKlocoon »

I am a resident of Texas, and I have a Texas resident CHL. I may take a job in Mississippi. If I do, is there any way I can switch my CHL from resident to non-resident without taking the course again? Alternatively, I could always just get a Mississippi permit, as they don't require a class, but I would have to pay for another license.

Keith B

Re: Can you switch from resident to non-resident CHL?

Post by Keith B »

BaleKlocoon wrote:I am a resident of Texas, and I have a Texas resident CHL. I may take a job in Mississippi. If I do, is there any way I can switch my CHL from resident to non-resident without taking the course again? Alternatively, I could always just get a Mississippi permit, as they don't require a class, but I would have to pay for another license.
Yes, you can send a change of address to DPS. This will automatically make it a non-resident license and it will be valid until expiration. The fee is $25 to change the address. As a note, when time to renew you will have to take a renewal class in Texas. Texas does not allow instructors to give classes outside of Texas
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

wally775

Re: Can you switch from resident to non-resident CHL?

Post by wally775 »

BaleKlocoon wrote:
I am a resident of Texas, and I have a Texas resident CHL. I may take a job in Mississippi. If I do, is there any way I can switch my CHL from resident to non-resident without taking the course again? Alternatively, I could always just get a Mississippi permit, as they don't require a class, but I would have to pay for another license.
Keith B wrote:
Yes, you can send a change of address to DPS. This will automatically make it a non-resident license and it will be valid until expiration. The fee is $25 to change the address. As a note, when time to renew you will have to take a renewal class in Texas. Texas does not allow instructors to give classes outside of Texas
:iagree: +1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”