Philly - got a gun, go to jail

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texanjoker

Philly - got a gun, go to jail

Post by texanjoker »

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/pol ... 51803.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under a cloud of violent crimes and a spike in murders, on Thursday, Mayor Michael Nutter laid out his nine-point plan to combat crime in the city.

Philadelphia officials frustrated by a spike in murders so far this year are offering rewards of up to $20,000 for information that leads to a conviction in a homicide.

The city also plans to offer a reward of $500 for information leading to the recovery of an illegal weapon. And District Attorney Seth Williams says he will work with the courts to prosecute anyone with an illegal firearm to the full extent of the law -- up to seven years in prison.

Topic author
Heartland Patriot

Re: Philly - got a gun, go to jail

Post by Heartland Patriot »

If you look at the numbers in that, you'll just see that the man who combed through the FBI stats has it correct. The vast bulk of murders in this country occur in population centers with more than 250K and are concentrated in the bad neighborhoods in those population centers. The data from the UK mirrors this....they far fewer large population centers, so they have fewer murders. I know that people need jobs and want to live where there is economic activity, but I'm sure it helps to stay out of the "bad part of town". Not a cure-all, because bad guys do like to get around, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

That article is a year old.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Deceiving title. Why not "Philly - got an illegal gun, go to jail"?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

jmra wrote:Deceiving title. Why not "Philly - got an illegal gun, go to jail"?

I agree that it is the current situation, however when I lived up there it was have a gun, sharp kitchen knife schick razor go to jail. The city of brotherly muggings is still in the mindset it is its own autonomous state, when PA. first became a shall issue state Philly refused to accept the law and was arresting anyone that was found to be carrying a firearm regardless of having a license or not, the state government had to take Philly to court and have an injunction issued to stop the arrests.

Philly even blows up its own people, hmmm makes one think

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Heartland Patriot wrote:If you look at the numbers in that, you'll just see that the man who combed through the FBI stats has it correct. The vast bulk of murders in this country occur in population centers with more than 250K and are concentrated in the bad neighborhoods in those population centers. The data from the UK mirrors this....they far fewer large population centers, so they have fewer murders. I know that people need jobs and want to live where there is economic activity, but I'm sure it helps to stay out of the "bad part of town". Not a cure-all, because bad guys do like to get around, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
I know what you're saying, and I also know you can't say it because certain facts are prohibited from discussion these days. But I read awhile back that when you filter out the crime in those bad neighborhoods, our murder rate is actually nearly the same or lower than the equivalent rate in the UK. And let's not forget why we have those bad neighborhoods and who created them: they are entirely the product of decades of liberal social policies that destroy families, reward indolence, punish initiative, eliminate individual responsibility, undermine basic civility and morality, and encourage decadence and depravity.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

jmra wrote:Deceiving title. Why not "Philly - got an illegal gun, go to jail"?
Because, like Chicago, Philly is and has been run by corrupt politicians for a very long time. There is no way that the PPD is going to go into the neighborhoods where the gun problems are rampant and start pressing the issue.

I had to take service calls at night in the area around Temple University in the early 70s. It wasn't too bad in the winter time but in the summer, it was not worth your life to even drive your car (I deliberately had a rattle-trap of a '63 Fairlane at the time) into the area. I also worked in South Philly at a military installation. The area surrounding that installation wasn't much better. Street guns were everywhere.

Frank Rizzo, before he became mayor, was police commissioner. He got a reputation for being tough on crime and the media loved him. He knew how to play to the spotlight but in reality, the problems of today in most of the bad neighborhoods existed then, too, and Commission Rizzo found a way to ignore them.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Jumping Frog wrote:That article is a year old.
Sorry I didn't see that. It was posted elsewhere as fresh link. My bad.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

VMI77 wrote:But I read awhile back that when you filter out the crime in those bad neighborhoods, our murder rate is actually nearly the same or lower than the equivalent rate in the UK..
That isn't actually accurate. Our rate is more similar to southern and eastern Europe, not the UK.

But the UK's murder rate was similarly below the US murder rate 100 years ago, and both societies had no restrictions on guns whatsoever. They are simply a different culture.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

Ban high-capacity cities.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Heartland Patriot wrote:If you look at the numbers in that, you'll just see that the man who combed through the FBI stats has it correct. The vast bulk of murders in this country occur in population centers with more than 250K and are concentrated in the bad neighborhoods in those population centers. The data from the UK mirrors this....they far fewer large population centers, so they have fewer murders. I know that people need jobs and want to live where there is economic activity, but I'm sure it helps to stay out of the "bad part of town". Not a cure-all, because bad guys do like to get around, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
That's not quite true. According to the FBI crime stats by population group:
Murder and non-negligent manslaughter - 250,000 population and over accounts for 5,606 of the total (10,823) in 2011 (just under 52%.) That means 48% of the murders and non-negligent homicides occurred in smaller cities (1,833 in 100,000 to 249,999, 1,095 in 50,000 to 99,999, 891 in 25,000 to 49,999, 763 in 10,000 to 24,999 and 635 in under 10,000 population groups - a 20% increase over 2010 although overall the statistic was down 1.3%.)

We need an academic study that shows precisely where these crimes occur, by population center. That would probably buttress your point that some areas of big cities are more dangerous than other areas. (Everyone "knows" this intuitively.) The problem is, the study would likely be labeled as racist, since blacks commit almost 53% of the homicides in this country (where the offender has been identified - 28% are never identified) but only represent about 13% of the population. (Blacks kill almost exclusively members of their own race - 49% of the murder victims are black.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

baldeagle wrote:
That's not quite true. According to the FBI crime stats by population group:
Murder and non-negligent manslaughter - 250,000 population and over accounts for 5,606 of the total (10,823) in 2011 (just under 52%.) That means 48% of the murders and non-negligent homicides occurred in smaller cities (1,833 in 100,000 to 249,999, 1,095 in 50,000 to 99,999, 891 in 25,000 to 49,999, 763 in 10,000 to 24,999 and 635 in under 10,000 population groups - a 20% increase over 2010 although overall the statistic was down 1.3%.)

We need an academic study that shows precisely where these crimes occur, by population center. That would probably buttress your point that some areas of big cities are more dangerous than other areas. (Everyone "knows" this intuitively.) The problem is, the study would likely be labeled as racist, since blacks commit almost 53% of the homicides in this country (where the offender has been identified - 28% are never identified) but only represent about 13% of the population. (Blacks kill almost exclusively members of their own race - 49% of the murder victims are black.)
This may be a little misleading. 49% of the victims may be black, but those victims are also mostly killed by perps who are black. I think something like 90% of of blacks killed are killed by other blacks, so IOW, 90% or so of those killed by blacks are other blacks.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Off-Topic”