CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 4

Passenger required to show CHL?

Post by 1s1k52 »

Been invited out to hunt this weekend. My father in law,
His future son in law, and myself will be in a vehicle for Atleast 5 hours. Should we be pulled over for any reason do I have to show my CHL if asked about weapons? We obviously will have weapons in the truck already. None even own pistols though.

I really just don't want my father in law to know. I don't care for their opinions on firearms or most things in general. Although being banned from family gatherings sound good in theory!
(insert clever signature here)

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Passenger required to show CHL?

Post by AEA »

Only if YOU are armed and asked for identification.
If you are the passenger, the LEO asking the driver if there are any weapons in the car is for the driver to answer, not you. Concealed is concealed. :thumbs2:

Perfectly legal (and suggested) for you to keep you mouth shut until the time comes that you are asked for identification.
Last edited by AEA on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Only if the LEO asks you specifically for ID. Then you must produce it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

trentwhite778

Post by trentwhite778 »

You're going hunting with them and they don't like firearms? :headscratch

I agree though. Keep your mouth shut until addressed directly from the LEO.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

What they are saying is right. Out of courtesy I personally would tell them I was armed.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

texanjoker wrote:What they are saying is right. Out of courtesy I personally would tell them I was armed.

The cops or the guys I'm going with?

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

1s1k52 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:What they are saying is right. Out of courtesy I personally would tell them I was armed.

IMO definitely the cops. If you are not doing anything wrong, IMO there is nothing to be afraid of. Up to you on your friends.

FYI I am a LEO, and have never disarmed a CHL holder. There are others that have, so you could face that or a serial # inspection as other threads indicate. I personally find it a matter of courtesy to say you are armed and avoid the LE seeing the gun w/o being told.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

texanjoker wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:

IMO definitely the cops. If you are not doing anything wrong, IMO there is nothing to be afraid of. Up to you on your friends.

FYI I am a LEO, and have never disarmed a CHL holder. There are others that have, so you could face that or a serial # inspection as other threads indicate. I personally find it a matter of courtesy to say you are armed and avoid the LE seeing the gun w/o being told.
If asked if there were any weapons in the car, then I would speak up and advise I was a CHL and armed. Otherwise until spoken to or the question of weapons in general came up, I would keep my hands in plain sight and my mouth shut.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Keith B wrote:If asked if there were any weapons in the car, then I would speak up and advise I was a CHL and armed. Otherwise until spoken to or the question of weapons in general came up, I would keep my hands in plain sight and my mouth shut.
This would be my advice too.
If I was trying to be discrete, I might be tempted to have my CHL readily available (without making gestures that could be misinterpreted) and rather than tell the officer I have a CHL I'd quietly hand him/her my license. There's a chance the officer would "get it" and be equally discrete.

I also find it strange that a hunter would have heartburn about CHL... but.. people are strange creatures, no? ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Keith B wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:

If asked if there were any weapons in the car, then I would speak up and advise I was a CHL and armed. Otherwise until spoken to or the question of weapons in general came up, I would keep my hands in plain sight and my mouth shut.
That is good advice as well.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Keith B wrote:If asked if there were any weapons in the car, then I would speak up and advise I was a CHL and armed. Otherwise until spoken to or the question of weapons in general came up, I would keep my hands in plain sight and my mouth shut.
This would be my advice too.
If I was trying to be discrete, I might be tempted to have my CHL readily available (without making gestures that could be misinterpreted) and rather than tell the officer I have a CHL I'd quietly hand him/her my license. There's a chance the officer would "get it" and be equally discrete.

I also find it strange that a hunter would have heartburn about CHL... but.. people are strange creatures, no? ;-)

agreed, it might be weird if the driver says NO to any weapons...and then you pipe up I have a chl.
but if your going hunting the answer would surely be YES.
unless your hunting gear is pre-positioned at the hunting camp
but we also have folks at our sporting clays club that dont own handguns and feel we should only have sporting shotguns or hunting rifles...yes they are out there amongst us
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

trentwhite778 wrote:You're going hunting with them and they don't like firearms? :headscratch

I agree though. Keep your mouth shut until addressed directly from the LEO.
This isn't an odd question really. I sort of expected it with the post, but I have not had time to give a full explanation.

Basically my in laws are from California and I have no idea why they live here as much as they literally talk about how much they HATE Texas and virtually everything about it. About 2 years ago her step dad asked me what gun I recommend to him. This was a shocker considering guns where "tools of satin" despite telling him a pistol is a great place to start since he wanted one for protection, he bought a polymer AR on sale at Cabelas. Since then it seems as though he is SORT of coming around. Although he keeps it in pieces with no ammo in mags and in separate rooms. These rules were set by his wife, my mother in law.

I will mention before all this about 2 years or so ago I got her mom to shoot one of my pistols. I think that paved the way for him. Since then one of her sisters started dating a guy who hunts who is the person taking us hunting. Her sister went from hating guns, rednecks, Texas etc. To killing deer, hunting and people are following.Thats the nutshell version. They are a bandwagon family and I pretty much keep to myself as well as my views. I don't care what they think and don't waste time or energy with them if I can. There is a lot of frustration on the whole thing from my part but I am cool with the dude thus far being as we see eye to eye on a lot of things, including their family. I think he more or less invited him so he would not feel left out. Her step dad isn't to bad but lets himself get ran by his wife or my as well be Feinstein in my opinion.

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

powerboatr wrote:agreed, it might be weird if the driver says NO to any weapons...and then you pipe up I have a chl.
but if your going hunting the answer would surely be YES.
unless your hunting gear is pre-positioned at the hunting camp...
...or you're with Hank Jr.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

1s1k52 wrote:Should we be pulled over for any reason do I have to show my CHL if asked about weapons?
You only have to show your CHL if the peace officer or magistrate asks for ID and you're carrying.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

:iagree: This.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”