Pulled over on 380 by Princeton PD

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
olafpfj
Posts in topic: 2

Pulled over on 380 by Princeton PD

Post by olafpfj »

Forgot to mention I was pulled over a few weeks ago coming back from Greenville. I was on 380 around 11pm and didn't notice the speed drop from 70 to 60. He clocked me at 71.

Pulled over, interior light on, TXDL, CHL and insurance in hand as he approached my rolled down window. He mentioned my speed and I told him I missed the speed drop. He took my info and walked back to his car. Came back and said "slow down".

Whole thing took less than a minute and he never once asked about my pistol. Since I was traveling for work it was a S&W model 10 in the glove compartment for the record.

First time showing my CHL and it couldn't have been more of a ho-hum non event. Exactly like it should be.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

texasmike
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pulled over on 380 by Princeton PD

Post by texasmike »

That's a good encounter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for future reference, I believe you're supposed to tell him verbally that you have a concealed handgun (rather than just give him the CHL). Since the conversation may be recorded by the audio equipment in the officer's vehicle, I always (twice now) make sure that the first words out of my mouth are "Officer, I have a concealed handgun in my console," as I hand him both of my licenses. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for 99% of LEOs just to give the CHL, but you never know.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

texasmike wrote:That's a good encounter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for future reference, I believe you're supposed to tell him verbally that you have a concealed handgun (rather than just give him the CHL). Since the conversation may be recorded by the audio equipment in the officer's vehicle, I always (twice now) make sure that the first words out of my mouth are "Officer, I have a concealed handgun in my console," as I hand him both of my licenses. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for 99% of LEOs just to give the CHL, but you never know.
I have been pulled over twice. No verbal confirmation from me either time. Nor did the officer ask about it. State guy said something about " well, we have all kinds of paper work here" when I handed him my info.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

texasmike wrote:That's a good encounter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for future reference, I believe you're supposed to tell him verbally that you have a concealed handgun (rather than just give him the CHL). Since the conversation may be recorded by the audio equipment in the officer's vehicle, I always (twice now) make sure that the first words out of my mouth are "Officer, I have a concealed handgun in my console," as I hand him both of my licenses. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for 99% of LEOs just to give the CHL, but you never know.
I'm not so sure that this is a good idea. I am concerned that he officer could misunderstand my my intentions. Handing him the CHL lets the officer take control of the encounter. If for some reason I don't have a handgun on me, I still present my CHL with my license and will announce that I'm unarmed. If I am armed I will let the the officer ask the questions and I will answer his questions(where what and how many)
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

There is no legal requirement for verbal notification. Just hand him your card.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

texasmike wrote:That's a good encounter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for future reference, I believe you're supposed to tell him verbally that you have a concealed handgun (rather than just give him the CHL).
Nope, no legal requirement for that.
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license
holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's
person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license
holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license
holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the
department and the license holder's handgun license.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
olafpfj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by olafpfj »

I kinda fanned all 3, DL, CHL and insurance out like "pick a card" style and figured he'd get the message. I greeted him with a very polite "good evening sir". Didn't want to make a bug deal out of the CHL unless he wanted to. I think it is pretty obvious what I am handing him without him even looking at it. If I'm calm I'm sure he will be too.

I think he asked where I'm coming from and going too as well. No chit chat...all business.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”