Obamacare - Senate amendment 3276, Sec. 2716

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Wes
Posts in topic: 1

Obamacare - Senate amendment 3276, Sec. 2716

Post by Wes »

So it would seem that the democrats have already prevented themselves from creating a gun registry. The new health care bill Obama forced us to accept apparently states that the government cannot collect "any information relating to the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition." Is this right? I looked for the actual text and cant find it. Crazy if so, I wonder how the executive order to over right your own bill will look?!

http://times247.com/articles/obamacare- ... gistration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Wes on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

i8godzilla

Re: Obamacare - Senate amendment 3276, Sec. 2716

Post by i8godzilla »

Senate amendment 3276, Sec. 2716, part c. only limits the Secretary of Health and Human Services from collecting information about legally owned firearms and ammunition when implementing "wellness and health promotion activities."
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

That's one of the reasons Biden some some legislative work needs to be done when when Obama pursues executive order.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

AndyC wrote:A registry is already prohibited by the Brady Handgun Control Act of 1993 under Section 103:
(i) PROHIBITION RELATING TO ESTABLISHMENT OF REGISTRATION SYSTEMS WITH RESPECT TO FIREARMS- No department, agency, officer, or employee of the United States may--

(1) require that any record or portion thereof generated by be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) use the system established under this section to establish any system for the registration of firearms, firearm owners, or firearm transactions or dispositions, except with respect to persons, prohibited by section 922 (g) or (n) of title 18, United States Code or State law, from receiving a firearm.
http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/bills/blbradyact.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When it says, "the system established under this section ..." I believe that just prevents the establishment of a registry using data collected through NICS checks which is what Section 103 is about . It doesn't prevent a registry being created outside of the background check process IMHO.

Return to “Federal”