Any chance of concealed WEAPONS license ?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ziran
Posts in topic: 2

Any chance of concealed WEAPONS license ?

Post by Ziran »

Any chance we could expand Texas CHL to cover weapons such as knives and martial weapons that are currently not legal to carry. Texas has one of the most restrictive laws in the nation when it comes to carrying things such as knives. I know other states such as Florida to this.

Basically add a CHL exception somewhere in this clause:

Texas - Health, Safety & Morals - 46.02. Unlawful carrying
weapons. (a) A person commits an offense if intentionally,
knowingly , or recklessly carries on or about his person a
handgun, illegal knife, or club. [Exceptions: official;
actor was own premises; was traveling; engaged in lawful
hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity; security
guard].
- 46.01. Definitions. (1) "Club"... includes... (D)
Tomahawk...
(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by
being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto,
and poniard;
(D) sword; or
(E) spear.
(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable
of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or
stabbing a person with the instrument.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Any chance of concealed WEAPONS license ?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

No chance at all. I know it doesn't make practical sense as firearms are the most efficient self-defense weapon.

Chas.

AEA

Post by AEA »

I know I have seen an exception for a Knife (description I can't remember) for a CHL that is armed.

Or am I mistaken Charles?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

AEA wrote:I know I have seen an exception for a Knife (description I can't remember) for a CHL that is armed.

Or am I mistaken Charles?
There should an exception for "large knife" for a CHL. There was thread that a LEO was mistaken when he thought CHLer could not carry large Knife like a Bayonet or Sword.

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;

I am not a lawyer, but what I understand is that if you have a CHL and you are carrying EDC, then the whole 46.02 does not apply. So, the actor has an exception to 46.02, all of it, including carrying illegal knives. NOTE: your understanding of the law is as in your mileage may vary. The judge may have a different understanding of the law.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

AEA

Post by AEA »

Yep, that's the exception I was referring to alright. :tiphat:
But it's hard to tell if Swords (which is listed) and/or Machetes (which is not listed) are allowed! :biggrinjester: :smilelol5:

Usual "Lawyer Speak" - confusing to us mere mortals.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
Ziran

Post by Ziran »

This is very interesting.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... GV.411.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code refers to the regular plain CHL not any kind of special government only firearm carrying.
SUBCHAPTER H. LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN
So at least on paper it looks like if you have CHL AND you are carrying a gun you can carry an otherwise illegal knife or club. I have never heard of this before today. When I searched dedicated knife forums the only thing I found was the 46.02 plus the definitions and interpretations of what constitutes illegal knife which boils down to over 5.5in or has two sharpened edges (I was only looking at non folding knifes).

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:No chance at all. I know it doesn't make practical sense as firearms are the most efficient self-defense weapon.

Chas.
The effort to expand the places to carry by moving CHL's from PC §46.15(b) to (a) makes PC §46.02 and PC §46.03 non-applicable. Wouldn't that have the (possibly unintended) side effect of removing the restrictions "illegal knife, or club" in PC §46.02(a)?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:No chance at all. I know it doesn't make practical sense as firearms are the most efficient self-defense weapon.

Chas.
The effort to expand the places to carry by moving CHL's from PC §46.15(b) to (a) makes PC §46.02 and PC §46.03 non-applicable. Wouldn't that have the (possibly unintended) side effect of removing the restrictions "illegal knife, or club" in PC §46.02(a)?
CHL's are already exempt from TPC §46.02 and theoretically this includes the non-firearms provisions in TPC §46.02. Good luck prevailing on that one. I understand the legal argument and it might actually prevail, but I won't be carrying a Bowie knife to test it! :thumbs2:

Chas.

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

The law says what the law says. If the OP cares enough to risk being a test case, that's great. If not, changing the law won't help because there is always the possibity someone has a different interpretation of what the meaning of "is" is.

DEB

Post by DEB »

Chas.
I used to tell my soldiers that it was because Texans are fair. We don't want anyone bringing a knife to a gunfight... :thumbs2:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”