How would you prepare today's youth?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MolonLabe
Posts in topic: 5

How would you prepare today's youth?

Post by MolonLabe »

Wondering if there are any “older folk” who would care to share their words of wisdom with parents presently raising up the next generation. We are trying to raise our kiddo’s right, God, Bible, manners, responsibility, work ethic etc. But I’m speaking more about advise when teaching the issues pertaining to government, freedom and explaining the actions of what the Communist regime is doing to our nation. It’s depressing to even think about where we are headed in the near future and as a Mom, the more I try to prepare my kids to enter this world as proper human beings, the more I wonder if I should be teaching them more about how to speak Chinese or reloading their own ammo?? Any advise would be greatly welcomed.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How would you prepare today's youth?

Post by TexasCajun »

Good topic & a welcome departure from the recent 'what if' threads...

My son is only 5mos old, so I have a while before I have to consider how I plan to counter the propaganda & indoctrination that he will undoubtably be exposed to in the public school system. But my wife & I are in agreement that his upbringing is our responsibility. And we both intend to give him as solid a foundation as we can. My Uncle Stanley instilled in me a reliance upon God, a love of country, and a respect for my mother which I intend to reinforce in my son. Hopefully, we can work through the rest of it through dinner-time conversation, family outings, and a fair amount of time at the range. But that's just my expectation of how things will go. I'd be interested to hear from others on what they have done, what they are doing, and what they plan to do.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

I think what is lacking in today's youth is History. We all know the quote (paraphrased) that if we forget our history we are doomed to relive it. I firmly believe that if youngsters are not getting factual history in school, that parents need to supplement that at home, beginning at a young age with materials, electronic or otherwise, that are appropriate for their age, that give a firm foundation as to modern history of the U.S., the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Declaration, etc., and the history of the world in general. My $.02

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

TexasCajun wrote:Good topic & a welcome departure from the recent 'what if' threads...

My son is only 5mos old, so I have a while before I have to consider how I plan to counter the propaganda & indoctrination that he will undoubtably be exposed to in the public school system. But my wife & I are in agreement that his upbringing is our responsibility. And we both intend to give him as solid a foundation as we can. My Uncle Stanley instilled in me a reliance upon God, a love of country, and a respect for my mother which I intend to reinforce in my son. Hopefully, we can work through the rest of it through dinner-time conversation, family outings, and a fair amount of time at the range. But that's just my expectation of how things will go. I'd be interested to hear from others on what they have done, what they are doing, and what they plan to do.

I have four children aged 7 to 1.

First off, don't give your children to the state indoctrination centers otherwise known as public schools. Just don't do it. There is precious little left there of redeeming value. Education is not neutral. If you give your children to the govt for the best hours of the day you need a miracle to keep them safe.

They are your precious charges. Educate them. Teaching them how to read is no different than teaching them any other skill. If you are uncertain there are many curricula out there to help. If you totally cannot teach your little ones find a Christian school. At least there you won't have people working against you eight hours a day.

There is more, but the is what I have or the moment.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

You have to lead by example. My kids are 18 (as of yesterday) and down to 12. I set a good example, have oriented them to firearms, how things work, and make sure they know I vote. My youngest is always reading so he learns current events. They have been taught their rights and that we are lucky to live in a free nation. I also let them know that hard work pays off. Last year they were searching everything going into the high school due to water fights. Yup going through purses, ect for water bottles, balloons and whatever. If you didn't allow them to search your purse, ect you couldn't go to school. My daughter called me asking if this was a violation of her 4th amendment right. I liked that as it shows she was thinking about what I have taught them. When their friends are around I try to be a good role model. I took the time and coached soccer for years and was a police advisor for the explorer program. All the good kids that went through the program under me are all LEOs. Two of them are now advisors passing it on down the line.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

texanjoker wrote:Last year they were searching everything going into the high school due to water fights. Yup going through purses, ect for water bottles, balloons and whatever. If you didn't allow them to search your purse, ect you couldn't go to school. My daughter called me asking if this was a violation of her 4th amendment right. I liked that as it shows she was thinking about what I have taught them.
What'd you tell her?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Dave2 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:Last year they were searching everything going into the high school due to water fights. Yup going through purses, ect for water bottles, balloons and whatever. If you didn't allow them to search your purse, ect you couldn't go to school. My daughter called me asking if this was a violation of her 4th amendment right. I liked that as it shows she was thinking about what I have taught them.
What'd you tell her?
It was after the fact, and IMO it is a violation. I emailed the school for an answer. I was told that since it was done by school officials and no LEO's were present they can do this. I told her in the real world to tell anybody that wants to search you no. The same school makes a parent pay for a parking pass and sign a form so the kids can park on campus. That form requires me to say they can search my kids car at any time for any reason. I voiced my concern on that and asked questions. The school principle denied even knowing that was on the form. I asked if staff had to give up their 4th amendment rights to park on campus and he said no. I don't get that part. When I worked child abuse cases I worked many school investigations about teachers/staff doing bad things to students. IMO if one group has to give up their rights then they all should. I crossed that portion of the form out when I signed it. If my kids are doing something wrong call me; walk their drug dog by the car; get a bomb dog if you are concerned there is a weapon; develop PC to search the car, ect. Just a blanket signature to search anytime doesn't seem like a good idea.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

homeschool if at all possible, these days the government school system is getting worse, good curriculum is plentiful, but one of the best sites for history and government books for all ages is Wall Builders. Between David Barton and Wall Builders, they have a larger library of Founding Fathers' documents than the Smithsonian! David actually is the reason we decided so many years ago to investigate homeschooling.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

My kids are 16 and 21, I have nieces and nephews from -3 to 13. This year at Christmas their "odd aunt" gave them each a copy of the US Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

What I have tried to teach my kids is it is OK to work hard. Things aren't just handed to you nor do they materialize out of thin air. They are not entitled! Respect yourself and others. Love God first, then yourself before you try to love another. Every gun is loaded every time. Keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on your target. Know your target and what is behind it. Wipe, flush wash!

While I agree that public education tends toward the liberal, it is important to be involved in the education of your children if you can't do it yourself. Even Christian schools lean liberal. The parent is responsible for the child and what they learn and they should be responsible and involved! Use those "interesting moments" from the school day as teachable moments at home.

Parenting teens is like being pecked to death by chickens you are extremely fond of. They make you crazy but when they hurt you hurt. The most rewarding, exhausting, amazing and terrible job I have EVER had!

JMPHO - blessings to all parents, guardians, grandparents and those that influence children on a daily basis. we must remember our children are our future, but what we do effects their futures as well!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
MolonLabe

Post by MolonLabe »

Sorry, when I posted this, I had forgotten it was Wednesday, shuffled the family out the door for church and just arrived home. Very excited to sit down now and read your posts.

Topic author
MolonLabe

Post by MolonLabe »

SewTexas wrote:homeschool if at all possible, these days the government school system is getting worse, good curriculum is plentiful, but one of the best sites for history and government books for all ages is Wall Builders. Between David Barton and Wall Builders, they have a larger library of Founding Fathers' documents than the Smithsonian! David actually is the reason we decided so many years ago to investigate homeschooling.
I will be finding out more about Wall Builders ASAP. Thank You!
Appreciate all of these words of wisdom. I have 4 boys, they are enrolled in a decent Christian school and I have wrestled with the idea of homeschooling for years now but was never brave enough to take the plunge. But I do want to beef up their history lessons. I think G26ster's thoughts on history are spot on.
One of the hardest things I struggle with is instilling the values of respecting authority but also balancing out other side of the coin with critical thinking especially because the fact that some of those authorities are not on the up and up. They range in ages from 8-16, and we have demanded them to respect their elders, use manners and follow the rules. But lately I feel like throwing that all out the window now and say " You see guys, we are entering into a new phase of history, POTUS has no rules, and the government really isn't into the whole following rules thing, some of the police are kind of making up rules as they go, and the justice system is not thinking that we are reading the Constitution right. So its every man for themselves and that the future is going to be pretty bleak with the path we are on". I guess I'm being snarky, but goodness it's getting harder.
I very much liked how TexanJoker handled the school situation. and am going to check out the explorer program you talked about.Thank you all for great advice, It's encouraging to know there are parents at least trying.

Topic author
MolonLabe

Post by MolonLabe »

AndyC wrote: Teach them their nation's history and what a miracle it truly is; teach them the value of respect for - but not blind obedience to - authority, and teach them the difference.
^^^^This! If you could expand on this, I would be most grateful!!! I even sat them down when my son received his DL and made them all watch a series on Youtube done by a defense attorney about why you should never speak to the police. They think I'm getting a little "out there". lol

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

AndyC wrote:Teach them their nation's history and what a miracle it truly is; teach them the value of respect for - but not blind obedience to - authority, and teach them the difference. Teach them the value of self-reliance, teach to think for themselves and to never, ever trust anything that the media or a politician says.
AndyC for Secretary of Education!
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

packa45

Post by packa45 »

Speaking from my introduction to firearms... Started with rubber band rifles at about 5 years old.. First BB/ pellet gun at 6 yrs old... Shot my first firearm at 9 and gradually moved up from 22 lr- 30-06 and 12 ga over the years... I plan on doing the same with my 3 week old daughter.

I've taught some people(wife, coworkers) basic operation and cleaning of firearms and supervised them on a range with a certified instructor and given some basic tips on trigger control and range safety... I even taught a few people some quick tips on how to get their firearms back in action after a misfire/light strike/ feed/ejection failure but I'm not an instructor I just showed them alternate methods that I knew about that the instructor did not show.

We are the front line of defense and the youth of America are the reinforcements for the protection of our 2a rights and I plan on teaching my niece and nephew next time they are in town( I doubt my brother in law will mind)[hunter in people's republik of kalifornia but raised in texas]
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

Return to “Off-Topic”