ok to shoot?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
liberty2014
Posts in topic: 2

ok to shoot?

Post by liberty2014 »

I own two dogs, Duke a 3 year old pit bull and Justice a 5 year old german shepherd, i walk them together. I live in the city, but my house is near some woods and we always see deer, racoons, and coyote. I have been lucky that neither of my dogs have got in a fight with a wild animal. My question is, say im walking my dogs amd a coyote comes out and shows signs off aggression toward the dog or myself and i shoot the animal will i be in trouble? I know these boys would die for me, but i dont want them to if i can help it. Since these are what the media calls a "guard dog" and not a 3lb chihuahua will it make it easier for the leo to charge me with something? What would you do in that situation?

fickman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ok to shoot?

Post by fickman »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 05323.html

YMMV.

Every day you don't fire your weapon will likely be better than the ones where you do. Every day you leave it concealed will likely be even better than either of those.

I'd consider all options, try to avoid it, make sure it was really menacing us, etc. before taking any action.

Consider the perspective of witnesses. If the coyote is five yards away, growling, and moving closer, take immediate action. If it's 100 yards away, standing still, and merely watching you, be aware and ready but don't engage. Somewhere in the middle will be up to your judgment.

If you draw OR shoot, call the police immediately.

Good luck!
Native Texian

jmra

Post by jmra »

My limited experience with coyotes would lead me to believe that being approached by a man and two large dogs would result in the coyotes quick departure.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Hawk99

Post by Hawk99 »

Being aggressive sounds like a diseased animal. Maybe rabid. That would mean you and your dogs are in danger as well as anyone else nearby.
Training and learning to survive this world while preparing for eternity.
NRA

Wes

Post by Wes »

A healthy coyote will not get close to a person and as mentioned, if it is not mere feet away actively being aggressive towards you then leave it be. I've been hunting on and off for the past twenty years, even specifically for coyotes and when they are called in and get close, as soon as they see or hear something unusual (your coat scratching against a gun rest for example), they high tail it out of there. I have them in my area too, and have called the tarrant county sheriff to see what their stance is and I was very specifically told if I was not firing my weapon in immediate defense of myself or a loved one it would be considered a criminal act. I consider my animals loved ones and he did not disagree. I would like to reiterate the highly unlikely hood of a coyote attacking you or your animals while you are out walking though. It's just not going to happen.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Moby

Post by Moby »

With a Shepard and a Pit, you have little to worrie about amigo.
They'll be fine.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

The Coyote might shoot instead. ;-) With a Shepard and Pit, I bet it fears for it's life and runs. If you had a couple Chihuahuas, it may be a different story.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I walked up on a coyote in my front yard one night... Or maybe he walked up on me. We both just froze and stared at each other as I tried to decide if I could jump on top of my mailbox to get away. He turned and beat a hasty retreat. As already said here, coyotes that aren't rabid won't get near you. They also won't approach two large dogs. They will however run up and grab a small pet and take off. It has happened, right here in good old Plano Texas.

I have to say this though. That pit bull would kick the crap out of that coyote... LOL. Wiley coyote would find out right quick he picked the wrong dinner entree.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Are you planning a run for Governor? ;-)

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

In answer to your question, ask our governer. He shot a coyote while jogging with his dog
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

When walking my dog, I carry pepper spray. It's non-lethal.
I live in an area where several folks keep pit bulls without proper fences or controls. Yes, I've called animal control and even the police. Until someone gets bit, it's a low priority for them. So, pepper spray is effective on anything within 20 feet and it avoids involving the police for firing a weapon or proving self defence. For me, drawing my weapon will always be the last option. BTW, a strong "NO" has always worked up til now.
Hope that helps,
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Diesel42 wrote:When walking my dog, I carry pepper spray. It's non-lethal.
I live in an area where several folks keep pit bulls without proper fences or controls.
Sorry to be off topic, but I had to comment when I read this. I love the American Pit Bull Terrior and the other breeds that fall into the "pit bull" category. When I read stuff like this my blood boils! I compare it to gun control. A few morons don't handle their dogs right and the breed is blamed rather than the owners. There are actually cities and counties around our once free country actually confiscating and killing this breed for no reason other than the "look" of the dog. By the way... I realize you in no way disparaged the breed. My post was more of a general statement on a situation that makes me nuts. Folks... we are losing our rights in this country one at a time and it is happening because far to many people don't care as long as the infringement has no affect on them. On and on we go.... right down the ole toilet!

"Meanwhile, back to our regularly scheduled program". :cool:

Topic author
liberty2014

Post by liberty2014 »

I dont know why being in an area where people keep pit bulls would make you more worried. They arent bad dogs its just what the media reports because its grabs attention. The cdc has many dogd listed as more aggresive than pit bulls. Only criminals would train them to be aggresive and if thats the case i wouldnt worry about the dogs as much i would the owners. Sorry to rant, but its just my oponion. If you really think pit bulls are all mean i would love to introduce you mine, he is the biggest lap dog in the world and actually runs away from my 4 inch sulcata tortoise

jmra

Post by jmra »

My opinion about pit bulls is tainted by the people that lived next door to us when I was growing up. One day I heard a commotion. Looked out the window only to find my brother standing on top of his truck with a 2x4 holding off the pack.

It turned out to be an opportunity to try out my brand new Winchester 1200 Ranger. It out performed my expectations.

Before people start going nuts, I intentionally missed. Of course the dogs were gassed at the city pound the following week.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

if you have to ask, then it was probably not ok. There is a simple test to determine if deadly force is necessary, was your life, or the life of another person in eminent danger? The test is simple, however it will have to be the fastest, yet most difficult decision you will ever make. Then the Monday morning quarterbacking is hell.

If the answer is yes, then it is ok to shoot. Even if you are shooting an animal that you determine is placing you or another in danger, remember that a police officer must agree with you, if he doesn't then a district attorney, judge and/or jury must agree with you.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”