Teachers in Texas flock to free gun training classes

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jcharro
Posts in topic: 1

Teachers in Texas flock to free gun training classes

Post by jcharro »

School teachers in Texas and Ohio are rushing to free firearms classes in the wake of the Connecticut elementary school massacre, some vowing to protect their students with guns even at the risk of losing their jobs. What are yall's input?

http://news.msn.com/us/teachers-in-ohio ... ng-classes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by jcharro on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fickman

Re: Teachers in Texas flock to free gun training classes

Post by fickman »

I support this, but it's largely fruitless if we're not getting superintendents and school boards in tow. . .
Native Texian

AEA

Post by AEA »

:iagree: Does Gov. Perry have EO privileges for Texas like MaoBama for the Country?

If he does, get him to sign a EO to rid all the problems at all schools in Texas!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

Again, I'm in the school business, so my perspective may be slanted. It is extremely important for every teacher who is so inclined to become familiar with small arms and obtain a CHL if so inclined. It is also important for them to follow state law when it comes to when and where they possess firearms. If they are for any reason found inside a school facility with a gun they are going to be subject to immediate arrest and if found guilty will be carrying a felony conviction on their record, effectively terminating their careers. Each teacher has a contract. Each contract contains language addressing the conditions of termination if they violate board policies, state and federal laws, etc. Board policies should be viewed as law--they are created by a lawfully elected body. The board may or may not have chosen to include language that spells out that no employee may possess a firearm on school property, not just inside a facility. It is highly advisable for any teacher considering having a firearm in their vehicle or on their person outside of the facility to thoroughly read their employers written policies regarding such possession. If there is no policy, then presumably you are free to possess a gun in your vehicle in a secreted and secure location. You do not want to jeopardize an enjoyable career because the folks in the head-shed don't understand the urgency of the problem. In the mean time, make reasonable attempts to encourage the board to establish chl friendly rules.

ianal

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

Over 1,000 Educators Apply for Armed Teacher Training
Buckeye Firearms Foundation plans first class for this spring
By: Jason Hart (Diary) | January 11th, 2013 at 01:30 PM
http://www.redstate.com/jasonahart/2013 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

We need some laws that allow teachers and staff to carry in schools
We need college and Universities to allow concealed carry

Looks like most of the sensless shooting s are in gun free zones

Guns free is starting to mean killing zone :leaving
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

tommyg wrote:Guns free is starting to mean killing zone :leaving
Starting? ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

In order for this to occur state and federal laws must change. While there might be a possibility state law would change, under the current administration federal law will not change.
In fact knowing how our feds work and try to control money, I can see the feds stating any state that permits carrying a weapon on a school campus is not eligible for federal education funds..

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

Now, assume for a minute our State legislators permit teachers to carry in the classroom, let me pose more questions in regards to that.
1- Will the law include language that exempts the teacher from civil liability for a good shooting? Note: An exemption from civil liability does not prevent you from being sued. The State cannot legislate that.

2- Will the law prohibit school districts from prohibiting weapons on the part of the teachers and other employees? You know even if the state allows concealed carry, most districts will change their policy manuals to block it.

3- In the event of a teacher involved shooting, who will pay to defend the teacher in the event the teacher is sued? you know that the family of the person shot will sue, you know a few law suit happy parents will sue on behalf of their traumatized children who witnessed, heard, or were in the same building.. come on we live in law suit happy society, everyone within a hundred miles will sue for something ,and there is always a lawyer willing to file it, no matter how stupid it sounds.

4- How often would a teacher permitted to carry be required to go through a shoot-don't shoot practice scenarios to keep up their skills? In the event of a shooting, any subsequent lawsuit is sure to include lack of training as a basis for the suit. It has to be addressed.

Then as I stated in another thread, the Feds are surely to hold education funds and probably highway funds from any state that passes any legislation that allows concealed carry on a school campus. This administration is becoming a dictatorship, as more states attempt to buck them, the more hardball we will see out of DC.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

dac1842 wrote:Now, assume for a minute our State legislators permit teachers to carry in the classroom, let me pose more questions in regards to that.
1- Will the law include language that exempts the teacher from civil liability for a good shooting? Note: An exemption from civil liability does not prevent you from being sued. The State cannot legislate that.

2- Will the law prohibit school districts from prohibiting weapons on the part of the teachers and other employees? You know even if the state allows concealed carry, most districts will change their policy manuals to block it.

3- In the event of a teacher involved shooting, who will pay to defend the teacher in the event the teacher is sued? you know that the family of the person shot will sue, you know a few law suit happy parents will sue on behalf of their traumatized children who witnessed, heard, or were in the same building.. come on we live in law suit happy society, everyone within a hundred miles will sue for something ,and there is always a lawyer willing to file it, no matter how stupid it sounds.

4- How often would a teacher permitted to carry be required to go through a shoot-don't shoot practice scenarios to keep up their skills? In the event of a shooting, any subsequent lawsuit is sure to include lack of training as a basis for the suit. It has to be addressed.

Then as I stated in another thread, the Feds are surely to hold education funds and probably highway funds from any state that passes any legislation that allows concealed carry on a school campus. This administration is becoming a dictatorship, as more states attempt to buck them, the more hardball we will see out of DC.
Decent questions

( Assuming you are not on a school bus )

Links related to a couple of the topics

http://www.texas-opinions.com/law-TTCA.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.webbstokessparks.com/article ... claims-act" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://law.onecle.com/texas/civil/chapter101.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... CP.101.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
========

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80 ... 00378F.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /CP.83.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”