reds indoor range in austin

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
liberty2014
Posts in topic: 3

reds indoor range in austin

Post by liberty2014 »

Have you been there? What are your thoughts?

Reds45ACP
Posts in topic: 2

Re: reds indoor range in austin

Post by Reds45ACP »

I've been to both locations (Austin and Pflugerville). I'm sure many folks will chime in about the price, limitations (no holster draw or rapid fire), the cost of ammo and/or the guns they have for sale. *Shrug* I go there to work on fundamentals. Trigger-pull. Grip. Sight picture. It's just fine for that. I buy my ammo bulk and don't buy anything in the store.

As far as indoor ranges go they aren't bad. I prefer the Pflugerville location over the Austin one. I have heard about outdoor ranges in the area but they are WAY off the beaten path so it's kinda difficult to get in a quick hour of range time after work. They fill a role. As an interesting point of fact there are no shotting ranges allowed in the Austin city limits. Red's has been there forever so it was grandfathered in.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

THX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by THX »

The SW Austin location is the only 100 yard indoor range for many miles around, if I'm not mistaken, and it has aged well. The staff they have there is a good crew. The range officer monitors things closely, which I have always appreciated very much. Targets are all you can shoot.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

They're both good places to shoot. Austin (and other cities) doesn't have enough indoor ranges for my liking. Basically, Red's is your only choice. I must admit, for being an "only choice," both locations are fairly well-run.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

daveboyd

Post by daveboyd »

I frequent Red's in Pflugerville (north Austin) and have had no complaints. Don't go on Tuesday nights, unless you are taking your lady since it is Lady's Night and they are crazy busy (women shoot for half price and get free gun "rentals"). If you are looking to introduce your wife or daughter(s) to shooting, this would be the night to take them. Anyone under 18 shoots for free with a paying adult.

packa45
Posts in topic: 7

Post by packa45 »

I thought ladies night was Monday??? Or did they change it???

Haven't been to reds in a while I usually prefer outdoor ranges... Favorite is lone star (Lockhart) make a day out of it... My wife calls it a bullets and blacks day.
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

daveboyd

Post by daveboyd »

packa45 wrote:I thought ladies night was Monday??? Or did they change it???

Haven't been to reds in a while I usually prefer outdoor ranges... Favorite is lone star (Lockhart) make a day out of it... My wife calls it a bullets and blacks day.
Thanks for the catch packa45. Ladies Night is Monday. My bad.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

daveboyd wrote: Thanks for the catch packa45. Ladies Night is Monday. My bad.
The Austin Sure Shots, a ladies-only social shooting club, also meets at Reds on Wednesdays.

http://www.redsguns.com/sureshots.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

THX wrote:... Targets are all you can shoot.
1st target is "free" after that I believe they are $0.50 or $1.00 a piece.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Topic author
liberty2014

Post by liberty2014 »

Thanks for the input guys, i shoot there when i can and was just wondering if others shared my same views

CEOofEVIL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CEOofEVIL »

Mondays are indeed ladies nights. $7.50/hr to shoot for ladies, free rentals (still need to pay for ammo) too. If you want to shoot for an hour, you are looking at $15.16 with tax and one target, otherwise. There is a LE/MIL discount of $11/hr, and if you shoot with a membet of the opposite sex there is also a discount. First target is free, .50 cents for any extras after that, except for CHL/B27 targets which are $1 each. You can bring your own targets, but nothing that has a photo of a human is allowed (IE: the popular one of the masked man holding a knife, etc). If you keep your brass, be sure to tell the RSO so they don't sweep it up for you. Last but not least, becareful of sticky motor switches - sometimes the will stick and cause the target line to burn up and break, which will prompt a cease fire to fix it. This happens way more with the rifle lanes. Also... on the rifle lanes, dont slam the target carriers into the end of the range - it knocks off your target if you didn't put it on properly, and whips the line which can also cause breakage. If you follow the above tips and stay safe, as well as clean up after yourself, the RSO's will love you.

You could say I got pretty well acquainted with Reds North during my stay in Austin. Good place to stay up on the basics. Enjoy!

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I like Red's but I finally got my wife out to shoot and some guy two lanes over brought in a 50 cal handgun and scared her off in pretty short order. Another family got spooked and left too.

Topic author
liberty2014

Post by liberty2014 »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:I like Red's but I finally got my wife out to shoot and some guy two lanes over brought in a 50 cal handgun and scared her off in pretty short order. Another family got spooked and left too.
I own a 500 s&w and bring it to reds quite often, wonder if that was me. What did thr guy look like?

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

liberty2014 wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:I like Red's but I finally got my wife out to shoot and some guy two lanes over brought in a 50 cal handgun and scared her off in pretty short order. Another family got spooked and left too.
I own a 500 s&w and bring it to reds quite often, wonder if that was me. What did thr guy look like?
Did you buy a long gun while you we're waiting for a lane? I'm not being critical by the way. :)

blackgold
Posts in topic: 6

Post by blackgold »

I joined the site for this thread. I took my GF and mother to Red's North yesterday. We got there about 930 and were the 6th person waiting for a lane. They were so busy that we just got one lane (pretty annoying but I understand). None of us really cared for it. I liked the fact that you could control your target but not the overall experience. We ultimately left when the guys to our left pulled out a hand cannon that shook the ceiling tiles and booths every time it fired. Not sure what it was (revolver). My mother ended up going outside at that point. I finished the rounds we had loaded and left. Felt the price should have reflected that we only had the 1 lane to shoot for that hour but we went and now we know. Also, wasn't a problem for me but the GF and mother both were not able to reach the targets to swap out. We've all only just started shooting and enjoy it overall. Probably will not be going back there. It's pretty far for us and didn't overly impress us.
Brian

Return to “Shooting Ranges”