Reduce Off-Limits Areas for Texas CHL’s

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

artx
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Reduce Off-Limits Areas for Texas CHL’s

Post by artx »

Chas, as always let us know how we can help. This is my number one legislative priority.

H6RBW
Posts in topic: 3

Post by H6RBW »

Charles,

I'll second what artx said. Let us know how we can help.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

6 minutes ago
Joe Deshotel ‏@joethepleb

Edu Comm. Williams is supportive of "local option" for concealed weapons in public schools. #triblive #txlege
Pat Johnson ‏@_PatJohnson_

@joethepleb Like #Nevada, where Amanda Collins was raped and another murdered, #TX already has "local option denials"
Joe Deshotel ‏@RepJoeDeshotel

Williams says he supports a person with a concealed handgun license be allowed in schools as local option #TxLege #triblive
via https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=% ... e&src=typd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Please tell the idiot the local option is already law. Sheesh. And surprise, surprise, only one school district allows it. We need to take the decision to allow us to exercise our God-given rights OUT of the hands of local despots.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Moby

Post by Moby »

I get concerned everytime I have to leave my firearm in my truck.
I would much rather have it on my hip.
Howmany CHL holders shoot up the place if their sports team does not do well?

Excellent letter Mr. Cotton.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

steve817

Post by steve817 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Carrying in bars will never pass, regardless how it's packaged or creative one is in coming up with sound bites. I'm not willing to risk the entire bill trying to convince Senators, Representatives and the general public that alcohol and guns do mix, in spite of what every responsible gun owner has said for a hundred years.

Come on guys; we're talking about a sea change in Texas law and you're upset because you won't be able to carry in a bar? :banghead:

Chas.
Nope, I don't go to them.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

baldeagle wrote:Please tell the idiot the local option is already law. Sheesh. And surprise, surprise, only one school district allows it. We need to take the decision to allow us to exercise our God-given rights OUT of the hands of local despots.
This might just be partly our fault. How many of us have been active in our local school board elections, especially checking with the candidates on this issue? I have to admit that I usually talk education issues with my board candidates more than this. I need to change that.
Steve Rothstein

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Actually, that might be better said that only one district in Texas _openly_ allows it. From the interview with Harrold's superintendent it sounds like there may be a few more of them out there now, they're just not making it public knowledge.

edit - typo

txmatt

Post by txmatt »

If we can do anything to help with this, say the word. From how this is described this makes a lot of sense, and would make a huge difference for many CHL holders out there.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Sports teams riot even if they win, maybe especially if they win, the goobs...

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

I'm excited to hear about this as a possibility. I certainly hope it starts to get some traction. Interestingly, I wrote my state rep about this issue last week before I read this thread. I encouraged him to consider proposing a bill that would amend 46.03(1) such that schools would be off-limits only when school is in session and children are present. Such an amendment would permit carry at schools on the weekends and during the summer. It's not much, but it would be a big win for me since my church meets in a school building every Sunday. Of course, I like Charles' idea alot better. :)

TxDrifter

Post by TxDrifter »

steve817 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Carrying in bars will never pass, regardless how it's packaged or creative one is in coming up with sound bites. I'm not willing to risk the entire bill trying to convince Senators, Representatives and the general public that alcohol and guns do mix, in spite of what every responsible gun owner has said for a hundred years.

Come on guys; we're talking about a sea change in Texas law and you're upset because you won't be able to carry in a bar? :banghead:

Chas.
Nope, I don't go to them.
I really don't have a need for it in nightclubs and such. My only concern is when on the motorcycle and we meet at one of those "icehouses" that everybody is stopping to get food and a drink, usually water, soda, or tea. The reason we aren't drinking is because alcohol and motorcycles mixes as bad as alcohol and firearms. That, honestly, would be the only time. Currently my wife and I both go, she will go in and grab the food and drinks and we just sit outside, but with her applying for license that option is going away.

I will agree with Charles, I won't whine over the huge differences we get over something that is small and insignificant in comparison. It is definitely nowhere close to a deal breaker for me.
USAF Veteran
Lifetime NRA Member
Do or do not, there is no try.
For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

Gov. Rick Perry recently said something to the effect of "Texans should be able to carry (a gun) everywhere". I wonder if he will make an effort to cause that to become the law?

artx

Post by artx »

Any updates? There sure seems to be a lot of buzz on open carry....but I know many folks who are 200 times more interested in this process.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

artx wrote:Any updates? There sure seems to be a lot of buzz on open carry....but I know many folks who are 200 times more interested in this process.
Only a small update. I/we gave up on the first Senator and it is now being considered by a Houston area Senator.

Chas.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”