Next Instructor class?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
infoman
Posts in topic: 2

Next Instructor class?

Post by infoman »

Can anyone tell me when the next instructor class is? I assume Jan./Feb., but not sure?

conn6554
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Next Instructor class?

Post by conn6554 »

Bump
Has anyone heard anything?

glock75
Posts in topic: 4

Post by glock75 »

February 11-15th and March 4-8th
NRA, DPS and Rangemaster Certified Firearms Instructor
RWDefense.com

joseywales

Post by joseywales »

glock75 wrote:February 11-15th and March 4-8th
Where is this information regarding instructor class dates posted?
How do you know if you're "in" the class or not?
The http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/index.htm#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; does not seem to have any updated information.

glock75

Post by glock75 »

It is not posted. An email was sent out to instructor applicants this past week notifying of two class dates and requesting that they respond with their preference. After the responses, the DPS will contact each responding instructor candidate with the details of the classes.
RWDefense.com

glock75

Post by glock75 »

Well I just got my confirmation email with the Feb. class date for me. There are no abbreviated classes being offered at this time for NRA Certified Instructors, etc. So it is the full class for me.
RWDefense.com

joseywales

Post by joseywales »

Email received this past SATURDAY night...
The Department is currently scheduling Concealed Handgun Instructor classes.
In order to complete your application, it will be necessary for you to submit additional documentation as proof that you hold a current firearm instructor certificate as per Government Code §411.190. The following items are acceptable:
· NRA certified firearm instructor - a copy of certificate of training and a copy your unexpired NRA identification card.
· TCLEOSE firearm instructor - a copy your TCLEOSE firearm instructor certificate. (Please note, that “basic instructor” is not sufficient.)
· Proof of graduation from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors. (Applicants under this section must regularly instruct others in the use of handguns.)
Please submit the required information to: (dept email address) no later than Thursday, January 31, 2013. Include your full name and telephone number.

Regulatory Services Division
Licensing and Registration Service
Am I to understand that applicants are REQUIRED to have one of these certifications to take the CHL Instructor's class?

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

joseywales wrote:Email received this past SATURDAY night...
In order to complete your application, it will be necessary for you to submit additional documentation as proof that you hold a current firearm instructor certificate as per Government Code §411.190. The following items are acceptable:
· NRA certified firearm instructor - a copy of certificate of training and a copy your unexpired NRA identification card.
· TCLEOSE firearm instructor - a copy your TCLEOSE firearm instructor certificate. (Please note, that “basic instructor” is not sufficient.)
· Proof of graduation from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors. (Applicants under this section must regularly instruct others in the use of handguns.)
Please submit the required information to: (dept email address) no later than Thursday, January 31, 2013. Include your full name and telephone number.

Am I to understand that applicants are REQUIRED to have one of these certifications to take the CHL Instructor's class?

Texas Codes > Government Code > Title 4 > Subtitle B > Chapter 411 > Subchapter H > § 411.190 - Qualified Handgun Instructors

Current as of: 2009
Check for updates
View 2008 version
(a) The director may certify as a qualified handgun instructor a person who:

(1) is certified by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education or under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, to instruct others in the use of handguns;

(2) regularly instructs others in the use of handguns and has graduated from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors; or

(3) is certified by the National Rifle Association of America as a handgun instructor.

(b) In addition to the qualifications described by Subsection (a), a qualified handgun instructor must be qualified to instruct persons in:

(1) the laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force;

(2) handgun use, proficiency, and safety;

(3) nonviolent dispute resolution; and

(4) proper storage practices for handguns, including storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

(c) In the manner applicable to a person who applies for a license to carry a concealed handgun, the department shall conduct a background check of a person who applies for certification as a qualified handgun instructor. If the background check indicates that the applicant for certification would not qualify to receive a handgun license, the department may not certify the applicant as a qualified handgun instructor. If the background check indicates that the applicant for certification would qualify to receive a handgun license, the department shall provide handgun instructor training to the applicant. The applicant shall pay a fee of $100 to the department for the training. The applicant must take and successfully complete the training offered by the department and pay the training fee before the department may certify the applicant as a qualified handgun instructor. The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun under the authority of this subchapter to any person who is certified as a qualified handgun instructor and who pays to the department a fee of $100 in addition to the training fee. The department by rule may prorate or waive the training fee for an employee of another governmental entity.

(d) The certification of a qualified handgun instructor expires on the second anniversary after the date of certification. To renew a certification, the qualified handgun instructor must pay a fee of $100 and take and successfully complete the retraining courses required by department rule.

Last edited by MoJo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

You are required to have one of those certs to qualify for the short class. If you do not have previous certs, you have to take the long class.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

wally775

Post by wally775 »

joseywales wrote:
Email received this past SATURDAY night...

Crossfire wrote,
You are required to have one of those certs to qualify for the short class. If you do not have previous certs, you have to take the long class.
:iagree: Correct. What crossfire said. I have had several questions on this subject.

joseywales

Post by joseywales »

Crossfire wrote:

Called the phone number referenced on the CHL program website this morning.
After a 20 minute wait, a real person came on the line.
I identified myself, told her the email I received regarding the newly listed pre-requisite certifications, and that I could not get those by Jan 31, 2013.
Are those really required to sit for the CHL Instructor class? "Yes sir, one of those is REQUIRED before you can take the class."

I told her I could have the NRA certification after my Feb 9th NRA class - so while I wouldn't have it in time for the February class, I hope it would be in time to sit for the March CHL Instructor class.
"No sir, no class in Feb or March - next class is not until sometime in June."

She then transferred me to the person who had actually sent me the email - and I got to leave a voice message (I was nice) - we'll see if I ever get a response.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

joseywales wrote:
Crossfire wrote:

Called the phone number referenced on the CHL program website this morning.
After a 20 minute wait, a real person came on the line.
I identified myself, told her the email I received regarding the newly listed pre-requisite certifications, and that I could not get those by Jan 31, 2013.
Are those really required to sit for the CHL Instructor class? "Yes sir, one of those is REQUIRED before you can take the class."

I told her I could have the NRA certification after my Feb 9th NRA class - so while I wouldn't have it in time for the February class, I hope it would be in time to sit for the March CHL Instructor class.
"No sir, no class in Feb or March - next class is not until sometime in June."

She then transferred me to the person who had actually sent me the email - and I got to leave a voice message (I was nice) - we'll see if I ever get a response.
Did you put down on your initial application that you wanted to attend the short class as you already had an instructor certification thinking by the time you took the CHL instructors class that you would have it in hand? If that is the case, then that is why they are saying they require previous certification. For the full class you have never had to be an instructor prior to attending. The short class just knocks off the first day where they teach you how to instruct.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

joseywales

Post by joseywales »

Keith,

No. I had NO interest in the other instructor courses (until now, when they say I MUST HAVE one).

Item 8 on the application has an option for a 36-hour instructor course or 28-hour abbreviated instructor course.
The question says that if you have one of these certifications, you may choose the 28-hour abbreviated instructor course.
The last line of Item 8 also states "All other applicants must take the 36 hour instructor course".
Knowing that I had answered "No" to all of the other questions about "Have you taken XYZ course", I assumed I could only take the 36-hour.

Now if THAT'S why I received the email...because I did not darken the oval for either the 36-hour or 28-hour course?

A friend of mine received the same email, and she DID darken the overall for the 36-hour course.

Topic author
infoman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by infoman »

You have to have one of the items on the email sent out BEFORE you can get into the short or long class.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

So is there a concrete answer to this yet? Do you have to have an NRA course prior, or is this just to take short course?
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Instructors' Corner”