Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 22

Re: Lesson Learned - Gym nonCarry

Post by TexasCajun »

Picked up a new full size pistol this weekend to replace my stolen Glock. With the scarcity of 9mm lately, I figured it's time to start expanding my caliber set. I picked up a brand new Smith & Wesson M&P .40 on Saturday. I haven't had a chance to take her out for a spin yet, so I'll try to get out to PSC next weekend.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

zero4o3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by zero4o3 »

TexasCajun wrote:Most likely, they cut the lock. I'm not sure because nothing was left behind & the door looked OK.
I realize This is a little late but I will go ahead and add. Pad locks are pretty much the least secure type of lock available and can be opened in a matter of seconds.

gclooney

Post by gclooney »

I simply lock my handgun in my gunsafe inside my vehicle. They make a pretty handy setup, of course where there is a will there is a way but they have a slick cable setup you can loop under your seat rails or anything else inside to make it that much harder to steal. I usually hide it behind or under a seat. I'm taking my chances by not being "make ready" when I'm walking out of the gym but I figure my chances are slim of being robbed from the gym door to my car door. I just try to keep my head on a swivel and quickly make it to my car.

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I have a Lockdown combination car safe with a cable. The problem with leaving my fun in the car is that there is just as much opportunity for theft in the parking lot as there is in the locker room. And I believe that going from the business to my car is where I'm most likely be at risk. So I've solved the problem by not updating my billing info with the gym & letting their robocalls go to voicemail. I've come to enjoy the added family time taking walks with my wife & son.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

O.K. - It seems most who work out go to gyms.

I don't get it.

Why not work out at home?

What am I missing?

The over all cost of membership, gas to and fro, inconvenience, risk of losing valuables, etc. just doesn't make sense to me..

Or it a social thing?

The only other thing I can guess at is some aren't really internally motivated to work out and need the presence of others to keep up their motivation.

Or, do I have completely wrong?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

Abraham wrote:O.K. - It seems most who work out go to gyms.

I don't get it.

What am I missing?

The over all cost of membership, gas to and fro, inconvenience, risk of losing valuables, etc. just doesn't make sense to me..

Or it a social thing?

The only other thing I can guess at is some aren't really internally motivated to work out and need the presence of others to keep up their motivation.

I work out at the gym because it would be embarrasing to just go there and sit in front of their TV's like I do when I am at home. :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

So, it IS motivation (or lack thereof...) for some - O.K. Going to a gym helps with that...got it.

C'mon, the rest of you.

What's your reason for doing something elsewhere you could do at home at no inconvenience, zero cost and theft less likely.

Well, zero cost after you buy a set of free weights and a bench for presses, which is of course a one time, quite low cost. I'm using the same bench and weights since plus 45 years ago...

Are most you single and the gyms you attend co-ed?

Is that it...?

Personally, I wouldn't care for female distraction even if I was single. When I work out the noises I make would make a whale blush...

dawgfishboy

Post by dawgfishboy »

Why would you want to limit your workout to free weights and dumbbells?

If you don't need a spotter with free weights then you're doing it wrong IMO; pushing your limits without a spotter is dangerous.

Membership at my city's fitness center only costs $35/year and I wear noise canceling ear buds to drown out the clucking.

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Before all of this, the appeal for me was going to the gym put me in the workout mindset. Plus all of the different equipment made it easier to keep motivated by changing up my routine every few weeks. Buy now the cost has far outweighed the benefits. $30/mo at the non-ghetto place was steep considering we have a (relatively) new baby. And the $10/mo places all seem to cater to the element that I'd rather keep at a distance. If I could find a $10/mo place that attracts a decent clientele I'd go in a heartbeat.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

dawgfishboy,

"Why would you want to limit your workout to free weights and dumbbells?"

Because that's all you need for muscle fitness.

I'm sure working out with other equipment helps keep things from getting boring, (though that's never happened with me using free weights, I can see for some it might...) but for pure muscle building fitness, free weights will get the job done.

"If you don't need a spotter with free weights then you're doing it wrong IMO; pushing your limits without a spotter is dangerous."

Low reps / Heavy weight - If you're working on building bulk, sure you need heavy weights and a spotter. We agree.

Me, I use a 60 Lb. barbell for all but one exercise, however I do 120 reps per set (without rest) for 1/2 of my workout and half amount that or so for the rest.

That means I'm not bulked up, (though after all these years of working out, I'm pretty ripped even for a jr. geezer) but I gain lots of stamina that permits me to do other endurance efforts, like paddle a kayak for 15 miles or more per outing. I can still swing a sledge hammer or an axe all day long. Or wade fish all day long, non-stop chunking lures.

Without the stamina building high rep approach with free weights, I doubt I'd last as well.

Also, I don't work out with weights every day like I once did. I work out every other day. On the off days, I ride a mountain bike for twenty-five miles. Am I obsessive about exercise - heck yes!

For 22 years, before I started cycling, I ran ten miles a day and fifteen on the week-ends. After finally blowing up my knee and getting it scoped, all I'm allowed to do for aerobic fitness now is either swim or bike.

I tried swimming for six months and found I hated it as an exercise, but still love it for recreation.

Cycling isn't hard on the knees - so that's what I do and it isn't boring either. It's an adventure every time I go...

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TexasCajun,

"Before all of this, the appeal for me was going to the gym put me in the workout mindset."

O.K. motivation again.

If going to a gym promotes motivation - that's a good thing.

So far going to gym: 2 for motivation / 1 for a spotter

My motivation as noted earlier has been the stamina benefits of always being in shape.

Also, outworking younger guys at whatever the work or play is one of my motivations, so I guess you might say one of my motivations for working out is ego boosting.

Plus, it's cool to be fit and have a ripped body. More ego building motivation...

But, I do the free weights at home and the biking costs no gas. (ah, yeah, the bike wasn't free, but it was a gift...)

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Here's another thing for me. I pay $10 a month at my gym. No pool, shower, massage room, etc., just workout equipment. I cannot buy the quality of equipment and types I 'like' to use for less than about $5,000 total, even used. Itt would take me almost 42 years to pay for the equipment I exercise on to use at home. I think that is a savings.

If you are a person who is happy working with free weights and getting your cardio biking, so be it. You are not everyone. Some of us like to use other methods and the cost of a gym membership provides access to that equipment without a large financial investment.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

dawgfishboy

Post by dawgfishboy »

Abraham wrote: Because that's all you need for muscle fitness.

Also, I don't work out with weights every day like I once did. I work out every other day. On the off days, I ride a mountain bike for twenty-five miles. Am I obsessive about exercise - heck yes!

For 22 years, before I started cycling, I ran ten miles a day and fifteen on the week-ends. After finally blowing up my knee and getting it scoped, all I'm allowed to do for aerobic fitness now is either swim or bike.

I tried swimming for six months and found I hated it as an exercise, but still love it for recreation.

Cycling isn't hard on the knees - so that's what I do and it isn't boring either. It's an adventure every time I go...
We'll just have to disagree on free weights being all I need. I am better able to isolate muscle groups using some of the machines available.

I'm with you on the mtb riding. I live adjacent to nice DORBA trail and usually ride it 3 to 6 times a week...singlespeed style. :cool:

dawgfishboy

Post by dawgfishboy »

Keith B wrote:Here's another thing for me. I pay $10 a month at my gym. No pool, shower, massage room, etc., just workout equipment. I cannot buy the quality of equipment and types I 'like' to use for less than about $5,000 total, even used. Itt would take me almost 42 years to pay for the equipment I exercise on to use at home. I think that is a savings.

If you are a person who is happy working with free weights and getting your cardio biking, so be it. You are not everyone. Some of us like to use other methods and the cost of a gym membership provides access to that equipment without a large financial investment.
Same here...$35/year for the city fitness room and basketball gym.

fecnik

Post by fecnik »

Abraham wrote:O.K. - It seems most who work out go to gyms.

I don't get it.

What am I missing?

Or it a social thing?

Most people don't have enough cash nor the room to get a squat rack, 800lbs worth of dumbbells, 1000lbs worth of plates, a leg press machine, leg curls, extensions, ect.

If i were to install a gym at my home with all teh equipment i need, it would easily cost $50k.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 08

Springfield Champion Stainless
Kahr K40 Stainless

Return to “Never Again!!”