Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Post Office Law Suit to Repeal Carry Rule

Post by jmorris »

JJVP wrote:
markmac56 wrote:Looking at the signs at my post office, I can carry concealed inside...unless, of course there is something that I am unaware of, such as school and courthouses, etc. ..
You are in violation of Federal law and will go to jail if caught. No signs are required in a federal facility. :rules:
You should hope that a fed does not read this thread. You just confessed to a federal crime. Expect a visit by the FBI soon. :smilelol5:
What about:
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

one eyed fatman
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by one eyed fatman »

What about:
(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be
posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal
facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted
conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court
facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
Nobody who wrote that knows what it means. It's just :rules: more blaberations (law with no meaning or purpose).

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

S'ok. Try going to the post office that's in the old Customs Building in downtown Houston. It also houses the local MEPS center and once you step through the door, you are required to empty your pockets into the x-ray bin, go through the metal detector, get wanded just as if you were going through airport security.

Our oldest swore into the Army monday and while we were waiting for her to come down after the ceremony, I took some of the younger kids outside. Poked my head back inside about 10 mins later to see if the wife knew when the oldest was coming down and the nice officers told me that I was required to be searched again before I could step back outside (just stepped right inside the door). They were quite insistent that once you cross the threshold of the building, you _will_ submit to a search and not be allowed to turn around and go back outside.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 13

Post by C-dub »

Iunnrais wrote:S'ok. Try going to the post office that's in the old Customs Building in downtown Houston. It also houses the local MEPS center and once you step through the door, you are required to empty your pockets into the x-ray bin, go through the metal detector, get wanded just as if you were going through airport security.

Our oldest swore into the Army monday and while we were waiting for her to come down after the ceremony, I took some of the younger kids outside. Poked my head back inside about 10 mins later to see if the wife knew when the oldest was coming down and the nice officers told me that I was required to be searched again before I could step back outside (just stepped right inside the door). They were quite insistent that once you cross the threshold of the building, you _will_ submit to a search and not be allowed to turn around and go back outside.
Interesting. Who is exactly is doing the insisting here? I'm up near Dallas and don't know this building.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

C-dub wrote:Interesting. Who is exactly is doing the insisting here?
MEPS – Military Entrance Processing Station
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Mirage wrote:I always cover the post office problem in the CHL classes I teach.
Is it a Federal Property? Are there Federal Employees? Can you carry or not?
I usually boil it to down to: I don't want to be the "test case" to find out for sure.
Just like the restaurants having 51% signs AND the blue unlicensed sign,
I know they can't have both, but I leave my gun locked in my Truck when I go inside
just to be sure I am not breaking the law.
To stretch this just a little further, it was my understanding that the parking lot of a Post Office is also Federal property and that you may be in violation of the the Federal requirements if you drive onto it from the street. If this is accurate, just stopping by the drop box is a problem.

For me, the solution is pretty easy. There is a dry cleaner near my house that has a postal window inside their store. There is no way that the parking lot or building is Federal property. It turns out that the dry cleaner can do everything that the Post Office can for me except give me held mail. I haven't been in a real Post Office in a couple of years. Additionally, the staff at the dry cleaner is exceptionally friendly and easy to do business with.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

C-dub
Posts in topic: 13

Post by C-dub »

Jumping Frog wrote:
C-dub wrote:Interesting. Who is exactly is doing the insisting here?
MEPS – Military Entrance Processing Station
So, the military, local police, or some other hired security personnel? I understand the MEPS thing, but since they are not the only one's in the building I wasn't sure who was providing the "security."
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Well, I'm not sure which agency these guys worked for. They wern't MPs, HPD or Harris County though.

Last year when we were there for her swearing into the DEP program (delayed enlistment), it was an old county deputy who didn't make me take off my belt or boots and just wanded me down after the belt buckle & steel shanks in the boot soles set off the walk through detector. These guys on Monday were much more serious and no nonsense.

rootcanals

Post by rootcanals »

I have personally gave up on the USPS years ago. I pay extra to use UPS or FedEx. Online bill pay for everything.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

What sucks is when you buy gun parts or even guns online & the seller wants a postal money order. And of course in order to get one of those, you have to pay cash. So you have to disarm to go up to the window in the PO with a substantial amount of cash on you.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

AdioSS wrote:What sucks is when you buy gun parts or even guns online & the seller wants a postal money order. And of course in order to get one of those, you have to pay cash. So you have to disarm to go up to the window in the PO with a substantial amount of cash on you.
You can use a debit card to get a USPS Money Order. The USPS will accept cash, debit card, or traveler's check for payment.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still doesn't mean I like to be unarmed, but . . . .
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

bikerbill

Post by bikerbill »

Here's my issue ... tho it would be nice to be able to carry inside the PO, you can't even have a gun in your car in the PO parking lot. That means I can't take my EDC out of my pocket or off my belt and lock it in my glovebox; I have to leave it home or park my car in the Dollar Store lot and walk ... THAT's stupid and needs to be changed ...
"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." Robert Heinlein

"The difference between a welfare state and a totalitarian state is a matter of time." Ayn Rand

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

chasfm11 wrote:
For me, the solution is pretty easy. There is a dry cleaner near my house that has a postal window inside their store. There is no way that the parking lot or building is Federal property. It turns out that the dry cleaner can do everything that the Post Office can for me except give me held mail. I haven't been in a real Post Office in a couple of years. Additionally, the staff at the dry cleaner is exceptionally friendly and easy to do business with.

I wonder if you live in my neighborhood... Main and Garden Ridge in Lewisville, this dry cleaner? :)

geoelectro

Post by geoelectro »

Dang, I've been carrying n my PO recently since I didn't see any 30.06 signs or any others for that matter. I figured that had changed... No?

Geo
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

geoelectro wrote:Dang, I've been carrying n my PO recently since I didn't see any 30.06 signs or any others for that matter. I figured that had changed... No?

Geo
The Post Office is a federal facility and you can't carry per federal rules. 30.06 is a state law and has no relevence for federal property.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”